It's Johnny Briggs' Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Johnny Briggs' Dad

My mum (everybody else) who's a Nurse ...

Was talking to my brother on the phone wishing him happy birthday etc and we got onto the subject of movies we saw in childhood, some more 15 or 18 rated that we saw in the cinema when they used to have a more PG stance as long as your dad was with you you could watch, very few mum's did this but early 80's UK cinema experiences seem to be rated 15 on DVD. The whole video nasty thing put an end to that.

As I'm prone to, the conversation rarely stayed on topic for long and we lost signal (I assumed his battery died at first) as we were discussing the BBC Cleopatra with the gold tipped nipples "Doesn't that make them full fat?" I asked as we used to have gold and silver for full and semi skimmed before the red green and blue coding of now.

anyhoo the title?

Well when you first watch a movie, especially one filmed in the UK, you occasionally see faces later on on TV, but when you see them, you might not quite notice it at the time.
    So we go back to watching Star wars for the umpteenth time, having seen Boon* Vanhelsing (easy one that) and maybe one other without re watching it.
    Then BAM "It's Johnny Briggs' Dad." one of us exclaimed.

Then later watching Empire we realise it's Grange Hill's Mr. Bronson who we can thank for alerting the Rebels on Hoth.

There are many many more, but at the moment those are the two that stick out the most.

so the general rule is
    See someone in a movie
    forget who s/he is
    see them again in a TV show from your youth
    rewatch old movie some time down the line
    enter your own "Johnny Brigg's Dad."

Not sure if voice actors are allowed as many use other voices than their own.

Edit:
    turns out it wasn't boon's Michael Elphick I was thinking of, but a show that Don Henderson was in in the early 80's Boon being an 86 tv show but it somehow became the late 70's early 80's title for whatever Henderson was in that I vaguely remember watching.
    Ah Bulman ... thank you imdb. although out around the same time as boon it was a relaunch of an earlier show with him in it.
    Last edited by Ginger Tea; 05-17-2013, 11:28 AM.
Working...
X