Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can someone recommend a rapefree nonkids fantasy book series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SongsOfDragons
    replied
    Maggie Furey. British author, really rich fantasy worlds. Three series, all interlinked to some extent: The Artefacts of Power, the Shadowleague and the Chronicles of the Xandim.

I know the middle one has a rape scene in it, the first one doesn't or at least the assailant is fireballed. The third one is her newest series, so I could be wrong.

It's not a story aimed at kids (even though I read it at like 14!) and aside from a bit of the first book of Artefacts all protagonists and deuteragonists are adults.

Leave a comment:

• gremcint
    replied
    Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
    I'd ask if near misses or remembered rape counts...Cuz if it doesn't, you might try the Alara Codex.
    I have read them and they are excellent, I'll be honest while I am asking for recommendations of things to try I am also trying to...

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
    I wasn't aware trying to find rape free fantasy series was a problem. Then I started to think about it for a minute. >.>
    ah there it is.

Though you guys are coming up with more than I expected.

It's just it's everywhere even dragonlance, Tanis's character origin is he's half elf because his father raped his mother. The entire origin of half orcs in some versions are purely because orcs rape people.

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    I keep coming up with books that are sci-fi, not fantasy. And most of it is aimed at the "young adult" market, though well written, regardless.

Leave a comment:

• evilfarmer
    replied
    The main one I can think of is The Southern Vampire Mysteries which became True Blood but I dont think the show does any justice to the books.

If youre willing to try Sci Fi theres the Dune series.

Leave a comment:

• Kheldarson
    replied
    Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
    I know there is at leats one book where a character uses his magic power to force an unwilling victim to have sex with him.
    I'm thinking Two to Conquer for some reason. And if I recall, it has a pretty bad backlash on the character.

But most of them are fine. I mean, I've got about the whole series (36 books, several of which are omnibus), and I can only think of a couple that even get close.

Plus, most of the books are technically stand-alone. They just all take place in the same setting...at different times.

(Note for anybody who wants to start reading: Recent publications have a full chronological list of the stories in the front. Don't have to read them that way, but it does make for interesting reading )

Leave a comment:

• SkullKing
    replied
    I think the nimnestl series by dan crawford does not have any rape. Can anyone confirm?

I also think stephen brust's stuff is rape-free but I canĀ“t say for sure, except for "to reign in hell" which I heartily recommend.

Leave a comment:

• SkullKing
    replied
    I still enjoy 'em anyway

And still going for early modern sci-fi/fantasy, can't forget Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series. I think there might be some questionable scenes in a few of them, but I can't recall for sure.
    I know there is at leats one book where a character uses his magic power to force an unwilling victim to have sex with him.

Leave a comment:

• Mongo Skruddgemire
    replied
    I still enjoy 'em anyway
    Agreed. While they're not the greatest fantasy fiction out there...they're still both good series. And they're both in my "comfort books" list to read when the mood strikes me.

I like to think of it this way, just because there are epic movies like Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the odd, bad "B-Movie" once in awhile.

Same with books. Just because Heinlein, Herbert and Asimov wrote some superlative Sci-Fi doesn't mean that I can't sit back and enjoy the odd Star Trek novel.

And if you ever want a really bad B-Movie...try "Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter". It's so horrible that it's funny.

Leave a comment:

• Kheldarson
    replied
    Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    Both Eddings and Brooks write fun popcorn fantasy, but it does not hold up well to reading after having more experience with better books.
    I still enjoy 'em anyway

And still going for early modern sci-fi/fantasy, can't forget Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series. I think there might be some questionable scenes in a few of them, but I can't recall for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    Both Eddings and Brooks write fun popcorn fantasy, but it does not hold up well to reading after having more experience with better books.

Also, what does "nonkids" actually mean?

Leave a comment:

• Kheldarson
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post

David Eddings "Belgariad" and "Mallorian" series are rape free if memory serves and is a nice long series. Five books each in the two series as well as two prequel books. Start with "Pawn of Prophecy" and go from there.
    Definitely rape free. You think Leigh would have let him write that in?

Terry Brooks' stuff qualifies too. Shannara's a fun setting.

Leave a comment:

• Mytical
    replied
    The Xanth novels (at least that I can remember). Loads of puns, but no rape. I would suggest The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the unbeliever, but I would have to say start in the second trilogy..the first would be disqualified.

The Phase/Photon books would be out also (though great) because the last book has rape (and of course who wants to read a series and not finish it?)

Man I've read hundreds of fantasy novels, maybe even past 1000 and drawing blanks. Bah.

Leave a comment:

• Mongo Skruddgemire
    replied
    The Dragonriders of Pern series is rape free as far as I can recall.

Dennis L. McKiernan's Mithgar series is largely rape free. It's a similar world to Tolkien (heroic halflings, elves, orcs, etc) but his writing style isn't as ponderous to read through. You can start anywhere in the series...but I suggest "Voyage of the Fox Rider" as a good starting point

The first book in Mercedes Lacky's Bardic Voices series has a near rape (main character defends herself quite well with a well placed snap kick and a headbutt) in the very beginning of the book but the other two don't have it. "The Lark and the Wren" is the first book in the series.

David Eddings "Belgariad" and "Mallorian" series are rape free if memory serves and is a nice long series. Five books each in the two series as well as two prequel books. Start with "Pawn of Prophecy" and go from there.

Leave a comment:

• Kheldarson
    replied
    I'd ask if near misses or remembered rape counts...Cuz if it doesn't, you might try the Alara Codex.

Faith Hunter's books are good. I like her Rogue Mage series...wait, does incited sexual tension count? Hmm...

Seanan McGuire's books are good. And clean. Well no rape.

Orson Scott Card. Any of his books. Ender's Game is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Nyoibo
    replied
    I don't think I've ever read any fantasy with rape in it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X