Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh dear lord, Westboro have spawned in Adelaide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fireheart17
    replied
    Yet another update and I honestly don't know whether this is good or bad:

Preachers vow to spread the word

The good news is that they'll be moving away from the shopping precinct and into other areas (technically not illegal), however one of those areas is the CEntral Markets. And of course, the protest group will head there. Needless to say, the Central Market traders are not going to be in a good mood, for two reasons:

1) Several of them are legal migrants from countries overseas, however, to Cornloup's lot, if you came from overseas, you're not an Australian.
    2) Several of the university students stay in accomodation within the city, one of the buildings is in fact right near the markets. It's predominantly international students and I suspect they won't react well to this...

The real distressing thing is that they may start preaching on trains, buses and the tram. If that happens and they're caught, they'll be punishable with fines of $1250. Too bad I can't start recording them
    Last edited by fireheart17; 12-02-2011, 12:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyoibo
    replied
    About fucking time.

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    More pwnage against them. This one I LOVE the most:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/preach...-1226202787149

Basically it's now against the law for them to use amplification or stages to broadcast their messages unless they have a permit (which I suspect will be denied given that their last volume recording was 102dB). It's $750 the first time, then $50 for each day after that.

Oh and this was passed by the State Government, not by the local council for that region .

There is talk though of one of the MPs wanting to go one further and start introducing jail terms if they decide to go ahead and use amplification anyway.

The group leader himself? Well, he's going to breach them anyway of course.

I will keep you updated on any more news

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    And yet another update, however this one carried the nice sweet smell of pwnage:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226192615819

The short version was that Cornloup (one of the preachers) was trying to utilise a law that would allow him to have his "prayer meetings" and would result in the protesters getting arrested for "disturbing a religious meeting". He also appeared to be trying to get around an injunction that actually DID stop him from using the shopping strip as his own preaching ground. (It can't be enforced, but as the police and council workers have started attending those protests...)

The judge DENIED him that priveliage and also noted that he was trying to get around the injunction by not being there, but being the one to organise it.

Oh and the reason as to WHY he wanted them arrested? Because they "went against his message".

ALl this is showing is how much they'll cry free speech but they're quick to try and silence others. They can't use that argument unless they're prepared for groups to respond!

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
    Trust me, $487 a fortnight is not enough to live on.
    Disability allowance? I know they're starting to crack down on it (which is why I straight-up went for Newstart as opposed to Disability) but the disability pension is $689 per fortnight.

Carer's allowance ditto.

Leave a comment:

• Nyoibo
    replied
    Trust me, $487 a fortnight is not enough to live on.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Ginger
    replied
    Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
    Which then brings me to my next question: how in the living breathing hell are they making money? I can't imagine them holding jobs.
    They go to the big bank otherwise known as Centerlink.

Money for nothing......

(crap, now I have that song in my head)

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    Ok, why the fuck is something not being done, they've breached EPA noise restriction by around 30-40 dB?
    Not sure. You and I are both connected to my source of all wisdom about this

Although now that you've mentioned that, someone will probably complain and the church will come under the ire of the EPA. Although someone should probably check the spruikers out as well just in the sake of "fairness." (Usually I can hear them from at least 2 shops away, so I doubt anything will happen)

Which then brings me to my next question: how in the living breathing hell are they making money? I can't imagine them holding jobs.

Leave a comment:

• Nyoibo
    replied
    Ok, why the fuck is something not being done, they've breached EPA noise restriction by around 30-40 dB?

Leave a comment:

• Mytical
    replied
    Just a little comment about the title. I seriously doubt He (or She) has anything to do with it. I'd imagine that He (or She) does a facepalm anytime they mention him (or her).

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    Bumping for yet another update:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226185143375

Now they're reaching volumes of up to 102-103dB. For a general idea of what that's like from where they preach, they will normally preach either at each end of the mall or in between. At either end, their volume would result in them being heard about halfway down the other streets directly straight ahead from Rundle Mall. If they preached in between, it would probably get down far enough to maybe one or two pubs on one side and the Gloria Jeans on the other.

Also it appears that several retailers are really disliking the preachers. I get the feeling that in addition to the protest groups, there wil be one popping up called "Retailers Against Stupid Preachers".

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    Not sure how they can get away with it on the uni campus
    It's borderline. They're right outside the uni, but on the territory that's owned by the council, not by the uni.

Leave a comment:

• Nyoibo
    replied
    Not sure how they can get away with it on the uni campus

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    Yet another update:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/fear-s...-1226171194594

This one's concerning the by-laws. From what I've heard, the police HAVE been getting involved in the protests and arresting the preachers (and a couple of protesters) whenever violence has occurred.

One of the rules about preaching within the Adelaide City Council limits is that you can't use amplification. Apparaently it's a $1000 fine and they've copped a few of them. One of the other actual by-laws is that the preachers can't preach IN Rundle Mall. Of course, they broke this rule, then cried poor in court.

Along the grapevine however, apparaently they are now preaching at bus stops, on the Adelaide Uni campus and along the main street nearest Rundle Mall and have been seen less and less around Rundle Mall. Methinks that they're lying low because they dared to take on the Paradise Community Church. (Pentecostal church)
    Last edited by fireheart17; 10-19-2011, 10:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Panacea
    replied
    Originally posted by Mishi View Post
    Wait... he's PROUD of dropping out of highschool in Year 9? He really thinks that it's a good thing and that publicly bragging about his lack of education and how he 'beat the Man' will aid his efforts to convert people by proving God's existence?
    "You beat the Man by dropping out of high school in 9th grade? Get the hell away from me; I don't need to hear about God from an uneducated lazy fool who can't get out of his own way or earn an honest living in life other than by preaching the Gospel. Give me someone who can actually spell Gospel!"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X