Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh dear lord, Westboro have spawned in Adelaide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fireheart17
    replied
    So a few more updates since I last posted:

-The shop owners in that precinct are getting unhappy with BOTH groups now, so I suspect that even if the protesters don't get their way, the preachers won't either, if the shops can argue their case in court.
    -The preachers are still getting quite violent, although a few renegade idiots from the protesters have started to do the same. One incident that popped up involved one of the preachers stealing someone's drumsticks. People have been saying that preachers have pushed/shoved them. Thank dog for cameraphones.
    -They've also started harassing people in OTHER places within the city centre. Maybe a trial run?

And the incident which prompted this post:

They took on a Pentecostal Church.

The church in question is part of a denomination known as "Assemblies of God", which is Pentecostal in origin. Said church is also VERY well-known.

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    Originally posted by protege View Post
    Hopefully, these idiots will get what's coming to them.
    Well as far as I'm aware, in addition to several groups spawning on Facebook (some of which are going to the extreme), the shop owners and such are NOT happy.

In addition, several Christians have come forward (from various denominations) denouncing the group as NOT being Christian.

One of the relatives of a member of the group (I refuse to call them a church since they proclaim that EVERY other branch of Christianity are preaching "false gospels") is acting as an armchair lawyer, claiming that if they moved and a protest group followed, the protest group would be committing an offence. I seriously doubt that's true, although the preachers moving would be what the group wanted anyway .

Leave a comment:

• protege
    replied
    Here, if some group pulled that shit...they'd be asked to leave the area. If they refused, they'd get busted for disturbing the peace, and trespassing. Hopefully, these idiots will get what's coming to them.

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    I believe this may be the group in question but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.churchadelaide.com/

Leave a comment:

• tropicsgoddess
    replied
    Damn....I didn't think the Westboro had "relatives" overseas! I would love to see some articles, pics or even videos (if possible) of the counter-protesters!

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    A few tidbits I picked up from Facebook groups:

-The reason why they are allowed to preach is that their lawyer argued in court that the ban put in place by the Adelaide City Council was unconstitutional and I'm guessing discriminatory.
    -The rules surrounding preaching are that they are not allowed to harass others, they can only preach for a certain period of time and that they aren't meant to be using amplification devices. Of course, they do all three.
    -A couple of counter-protest groups have spawned and they don't get violent with them. It's actually kind of funny-they don't necessarily get violent, but instead, the PREACHERS get violent and as a result, a couple of them have wound up in the police station nearby

Leave a comment:

• Mishi
    replied
    Wait... he's PROUD of dropping out of highschool in Year 9? He really thinks that it's a good thing and that publicly bragging about his lack of education and how he 'beat the Man' will aid his efforts to convert people by proving God's existence?

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post

What are the hate speech laws in Australia? That shit would just get you straight up arrested in Canada. No free speech bullshit angle would save you. -.-
    There's also no explicit right for free speech in Australia, it's more or less implied.

Hate speech laws vary by state. The council group tried to get them banned and failed...funnily enough, that's the first good thing they've done so far

Basically in South Australia (the only state with a shopping precinct that has balls ) the law only covers race, not sexuality. Federally, ditto.

I can't remember what loophole they found, but I think it was something to do with them being classed as a branch of Christianity and as such, they were protected under religious laws or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• Gravekeeper
    replied
    Ugh, he even pulled out the "Some of my best friends are black" defence.

What are the hate speech laws in Australia? That shit would just get you straight up arrested in Canada. No free speech bullshit angle would save you. -.-

Leave a comment:

• Oh dear lord, Westboro have spawned in Adelaide...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225912386529

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225961015476

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226112373349

All three articles pretty much tell the story up until now.

Basically, we have a group in Rundle Mall (shopping precinct) who basically are homophobic and xenophobic and are harassing people about going to hell for EVERYTHING. Even for following other religions. All while under the guise of preaching "religion."

Sure, preaching is fine and dandy and all, but not when you start harassing people constantly. They haven't started picketing funerals yet thankfully. I see people all the time in the same area just sitting at a table advertising the Bible, or occasionally speaking out loud to someone about the Bible, but they don't harass people.
Working...
X