Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D_Yeti_Esquire
    replied
    Long story short, it's whether he can prove it is his religion or not. Religion is a protected class but I'd imagine you'd have a hard time with a jury of even 12 Christians convincing them that message is in any way supported by religion.

But yea, if he can prove he was denied service based on a sincere religious belief, the bakery has a problem. But they would have had the same problem either way. If the person posted what the baker had put on the cake if the order had been filled, they'd be getting it from the other end. It just sucks to be a business owner in the middle of shenanigans like this.

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    Originally posted by Ghel View Post
    Here is a good take on this case. Basically, the customer would have to prove that the bakery discriminated against him on the basis of his religion, not on the basis of the message on the cake he wanted them to make.
    That's the long and short of it. The refused to serve him based on non-protected criteria, and that is what matters. The bakery who refused to bake a cake for a gay couple fell afoul of anti-discrimination laws that called out sexual orientation as one of the specifically protected classes.

Leave a comment:

• Ghel
    replied
    Here is a good take on this case. Basically, the customer would have to prove that the bakery discriminated against him on the basis of his religion, not on the basis of the message on the cake he wanted them to make.

Leave a comment:

• Shangri-laschild
    replied
    Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
    This one I actually feel vaguely conflicted on. I agree the guy's a dick, but I don't know if he has a point... I mean, to put it this way - Would I be cool with a baker saying "I won't write "Happy Wedding James and Dave," but I'll give you cake and a froster to do it yourself" or would I find that one to be unfair? I really want to make sure I'm holding my allies to the same standard as my enemies...
    But there's a difference between refusing in general to write statements you don't agree with and refusing to write discriminatory hate speech. Refusing to write the happy wedding one would fall in the first category and would be discrimination against the customer in my opinion. Refusing to write hate speech however is different and I don't see a problem with that. If it was pro religious but not hate speech and they had refused to write it, then I would put it in the same category as not making the gay wedding cake.

Leave a comment:

• Hyena Dandy
    replied
    This one I actually feel vaguely conflicted on. I agree the guy's a dick, but I don't know if he has a point... I mean, to put it this way - Would I be cool with a baker saying "I won't write "Happy Wedding James and Dave," but I'll give you cake and a froster to do it yourself" or would I find that one to be unfair? I really want to make sure I'm holding my allies to the same standard as my enemies...

Leave a comment:

• fireheart17
    replied
    Originally posted by gremcint View Post
    half expected it to be that asshole who named his kid adolf hitler.
    Didn't those kids get removed from the parents?

Also, that made the news over here for a brief period of time before being topped (heh) by a work experience kid putting the map of Australia the wrong-way around on a cake.

Leave a comment:

• HYHYBT
    replied
    I think that one's in Florida.

Leave a comment:

• gremcint
    replied
    half expected it to be that asshole who named his kid adolf hitler. anyways I can now recommend a bakery in denver.

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    Actually, the bakery was absolutely fine with baking the cake. They just refused to decorate the way he wanted. Hell, they even offered to give him icing to spew whatever hateful messages he wanted, but what he really wanted was to have his day in court.

Leave a comment:

• catcul
    started a topic Man Sues Bakery

Man Sues Bakery

A man is suing a bakery for not putting anti-LGBT messages and images on a cake. You knew this stunt was coming. There is a huge difference between refusing a cake because you don't believe in gay marriage and refusing put hate speech on a cake. This is nothing more than a stunt for the Religious Reich to advance their "We're being oppressed," narratives.

These people make me sick.

Simply put, the bakery has the right to refuse putting "God hates fts," just like they have the right to refuse to put, "Death to the nrs," or "Happy Birthday, Adolf Hitler."

Denver's Azucar Bakery Under Investigation For Allegedly Refusing To Bake Anti-Gay Cake

I should add that he's suing because he says they discriminated against him because of hie religious beliefs.
    Last edited by catcul; 01-22-2015, 01:57 AM.
Working...
X