Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fireheart17
    replied
    In Australia, most stores have a sign posted somewhere (the bigger the store, the bigger the sign usually) asking for a bag check on request. I have no problem showing my very large backpack due to its size, but handbags I get a bit iffy with, because there's no real way you know what is and isn't stolen, unless it's obvious (i.e. a woman's shoved 20 slabs of meat into her handbag). I've had people pick over my bags before, wanting to know when and where I bought my (used) can of body spray and telling me I need a sticker. That's where I feel they're drawing the line. (work requires me to do this and that is the ONLY time I'll EVER use a sticker)

If it's a quick glance though, no problem. If they start getting picky and demand that I open every single pocket in my handbag, THAT's when I get iffy. We don't get suspicious naturally unless we have grounds to do so. I usually allow for benefit of the doubt if they don't have a receipt, however...if they have no sign, they have no right. That's all I say.

Leave a comment:

• Pedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by linguist View Post
    shouldn't property owners be allowed to protect their property?
    Sure. Let them protect their property, and do whatever they want with their property. But, since my bags are my property, they're not allowed to touch my bags, or my receipt.

Do whatever you want with your property. Leave mine alone. And if you're going to claim the right to check my property, then post a damn sign. I'll shop elsewhere.

Pretty simple concept, really.

Leave a comment:

• Flyndaran
    replied
    Originally posted by linguist View Post
    Only until it touches my property.
    That is of course until there is probably cause to get in my face.

Leave a comment:

• linguist
    replied
    Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
    That could be said about so many lost freedoms. Shouldn't we be allowed privacy expecially when it's inconvenient to others?

Leave a comment:

• Flyndaran
    replied
    Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
    Now I'm not going to let him frisk me or anything. But I don't see what the big deal is pausing for 3 seconds to have my receipt checked.
    That could be said about so many lost freedoms. Shouldn't we be allowed privacy expecially when it's inconvenient to others?

Leave a comment:

• Gravekeeper
    replied
    Again? But that topic never works!

This time for sure!

My opinion is the same. If that's store policy, and I'm shopping there, sure you can check my receipt. No problem. But I would never give shit to the employee doing it. He's not the one that set the policy. That would dickishly hypocritical of me.

Now I'm not going to let him frisk me or anything. But I don't see what the big deal is pausing for 3 seconds to have my receipt checked.

Here's one for you: The Save On Foods in Vancouver here, years and years ago when I first moved here they had a bag check in. If you walked in with a backpack or similarly large container they'd ask you to check it in at the front.

Why? Because its a huge damn store, they can't watch every part of it and they had so much stock loss from people stealing shit and throwing it in their backpack, etc. So rather than demanding to root through your shit and frisk you as you walked out, they asked you to check in your bag as you walked in.

Didn't like it? Shop somewhere else. Simple as that.

They don't do it anymore, as they have security cameras and what not now. So no need too. But still, it struck me as interesting when I first moved here. I never had a problem with having to check my backpack in.

Leave a comment:

• thelong1
    replied
    Originally posted by Boozy View Post
    I still fail to see how saying "No, thank you" is rude in any context.

The store employee is requesting your voluntary assistance in their loss prevention program. The shopper is allowed to decline. That's how things work in polite society. They are no rules of etiquette stating that you must say yes to every single request that comes your way.
    I definitely agree with that you don't need to say yes to every single request that comes your way. People here definitely have a good way to explain their argument and make some very good points. Also, some others do not. Though I still have a problem when people just walk on by with no acknoledgement whatsoever. I still think its being rude because you are completely ignoring the person.

I think my biggest problem is that when I'm picturing the scenario of someone walking right past the receipt checker I'm not seeing it as someone politely saying, "no thank you" without some type of attitude involved, though I suppose it can exist. For example, if someone bought a bunch of lube and some condoms they may be a little embarrassed with having someone view their purchases. Adult diapers? "Can I see your receipt?" "Sorry, I'd rather not". I think in my attempts to stick up for the everyday worker I lost sight of the fact that there can still be some genuinely nice people out there who have other reasons they would rather not comply. It's been said before, saying no doesn't equal rude. I guess its just that I assumed there was more involved (tone, countenance, body language, etc) that implied the rudeness. You win, but still try and be nice about it

Leave a comment:

• thelong1
    replied
    I've established where my line is. Where's yours?

I draw the line where it goes beyond common sense. No one would ever frisk any customers who are just regular shoppers exiting the store after making a purchase. No one would ever ask regular shoppers to do a strip search and so on. Next time you go to a store and someone asks to see your receipt say your usual "no thanks" but then ask them if they think its rude when people don't show or when they just politely walk by without any type of acknowledgement. I'm not saying your slippery slope of an agrument doesn't go into a whole huge list of things I would rather not have done to me when I'm trying to buy a soda. All I'm saying is just be nice to the employee who is just trying to do their job. They themselves aren't implying you are a thief, you are inferring they are doing so. You are placing the blame on them. They are getting paid minimum wage to stand in front of a door and deal with people all day. If you don't agree with them asking take it up with someone who has the power to change it. Its not that I don't agree with you in saying that they shouldn't do it or stores shouldn't have those policies. It's just that I don't mind showing my receipt and I know its not the person asking who is responsible.
    Last edited by Boozy; 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Leave a comment:

• Boozy
    replied
    I agree. I'd think bag-checking is the worst job in any store. And I don't think anyone here is saying that those employees deserve verbal abuse, or a speech about how much we dislike the policy. If anyone has an issue with a store's policy, they should vote with their feet, or perhaps write a letter to head office where these decisions are made.

But again, just because the employee asking is not personally responsible for the policy doesn't mean that I'll roll over and let them snoop through my personal belongings.

Leave a comment:

• machinest
    replied
    I think the point is that the request to see the receipt and the implied accusation of possible dishonesty is inherently rude on the part of the company ,but not on the part of the employee asking as it is part of there job as Representative of the company in question.

Leave a comment:

• Sylvia727
    replied
    I always smile and say "no thank you!" cheerfully, break eye contact, and keep walking. Since I'm an impatient person with long legs, my normal pace means that other people usually have to jog to catch up with me. A couple of times the checker has called "Ma'am!" after me, but I always ignore it, and I've never had any problems.

Originally posted by Cats View Post
    However, since I thought of it while reading this topic, would any of you be willing to stop and show a reciept if asked if you had set of the alarms on the way out? Would that be just cause for them to ask? or do you think they still don't have a right?
    Several times I've left a store without buying (or shoplifting) anything, and I've still set the alarm off. I keep walking for those. Since I don't have any shopping bags on me, the only way to prove I'm not a shoplifter would be to let security go through my pockets and bag. Not happening without a search warrant. Once I set the alarm off on my way in, and the greeter waved me in. On my way out, I set them off again, and he remembered me and waved me out. I thought that this would be a great way for shoplifters to exploit the alarm systems, but oh well.

Several other times I've set the alarms off while carrying shopping bags from the store. I stopped and looked around for store personnal. I would be willing to let security search those bags and only those bags, and present my receipt. I would not let them search my purse or bags from other stores. However, all times the cashier has waved me out.

Leave a comment:

• Pedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
    I can understand and respect most of your views here, except for this one.
    Actually, I don't. I was using thelong1's choice of words.

The person asking the question is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't set out to give them grief. They ask a polite question, I give a polite answer, we both go our merry ways.

In thelong1's mind, though, my response is rude. If my response is rude, then the question that precipitated my response is every bit as rude.

I'm going to leave the original wording in place, simply because I feel it drives home the point more effectively. But no, the person is not rude (normally) when asking to see a receipt. They can be, but that's pretty rare and far between, and is specific cases (for instance: if the employee snarls "Give me your damned receipt!", that's rude).

Leave a comment:

• Peppergirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Boozy View Post
    They are no rules of etiquette stating that you must say yes to every single request that comes your way.
    Agreed, and if someone politely refuses to provide me with their date of birth, I simply say "I understand, no problem." and document in the record that they've refused.

Then they can take it up with TSA when they're trying to board their flight. Their choice. Just as long as *I* don't get in trouble for it.

Leave a comment:

• Boozy
    replied
    I still fail to see how saying "No, thank you" is rude in any context.

The store employee is requesting your voluntary assistance in their loss prevention program. The shopper is allowed to decline. That's how things work in polite society. They are no rules of etiquette stating that you must say yes to every single request that comes your way.

Leave a comment:

• Peppergirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Pedersen View Post

In this case, they are initiating the rude behavior. I am doing my best to avoid it becoming more so without allowing them to do whatever they wish to my person or my belongings.

I can understand and respect most of your views here, except for this one.

If an employee is hired to do a job and politely asks to see your receipt, how does that constitute rudeness?

Like I've said, I don't feel there's anything wrong with saying 'no thank you' and walking past, as long as the inquiry was done politely and professionally.

Sure, you may not believe in it, but I fail to see how it's automatically rude for someone to do the job they're hired to do.

Believe me, there's alot of stuff I'm made to say and ask at work that I absolutely HATE...but it's my job and as long as I'm professional about it, I feel like I deserve a modicum of respect in return. You may not LIKE what I have to say, but if you have a problem with my having to ask, you need to take it up with management, or (in my case) the FAA, since they're the ones making the new, ridiculous rules.
    Last edited by Peppergirl; 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X