Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When people compare the price of gas to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XCashier
    replied
    Originally posted by gbm85 View Post
    I absolutely hate when people compare the price of gas to other, completely arbitrary liquids.

For instance, "I can get a gallon of water for 50 cents! Why does a gallon of gas cost $3??"
    "Try running your car with water in the fuel tank." Dumbasses.

Leave a comment:

• protege
    replied
    Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
    I don't think our gas is as heavily taxed as european or aussie gas is.
    Not yet anyway--the idiots in Harrisburg already want *another* gas tax, in addition to the ones already on it!

Leave a comment:

• AFPheonix
    replied
    I don't think our gas is as heavily taxed as european or aussie gas is.

Leave a comment:

• Seshat
    replied
    Looks like gas prices in the US are significantly cheaper than they are here.

Leave a comment:

• Greenday
    replied
    I paid nearly $0.76 a liter last time I filled up. That's $2.87 a gallon. Go New Jersey!

Leave a comment:

• Boozy
    replied
    Originally posted by Seshat View Post
    It's rapidly approaching $1.50 a litre here in Aussieland. (Our $ is roughly comparable to the Canadian $.)
    Canadian gas is about 1.10 per litre right now (in major urban centres).

The Aussie dollar is currently worth about 90 cents Canadian, so that explains part of the difference. Also, I guess you'll have added shipping costs that we don't have.

My guess is that, all in all, gas prices are quite comparable in most industrialized nations.

Leave a comment:

• Seshat
    replied
    It's rapidly approaching $1.50 a litre here in Aussieland. (Our $ is roughly comparable to the Canadian $.)

Leave a comment:

• protege
    replied
    My favorite comparison though, has to be the one of gas in the US, versus the price of gas in China, or any other country. Why? Well, in the US, the price is per gallon--quite a few other places charge by the liter. All too often, people here get pissy because they don't realize that there's roughly 4 liters to a gallon, and start bitching about how "it's cheaper in _______!"

Leave a comment:

• Greenday
    replied
    I do that all the time, but not in the way you are talking about.

Whenever I hear someone bitch and moan about how much gas is, I always ask them why it's cool to pay a few bucks for a gallon of water or nearly two bucks for 2 liters of soda, but three bucks for a gallon of gas is crazy?

Leave a comment:

• Rapscallion
    replied
    Originally posted by gbm85 View Post
    Why don't you compare the price of one gallon of gas to the price of one gallon of liquid gold?
    Heh - someone tried that over here. Well, if you take liquid gold to mean 'beer', that is. They used the comparison to prove that beer would be more expensive for running vehicles than our overtaxed fuel.

Rapscallion

Leave a comment:

• gbm85
    started a topic When people compare the price of gas to...

When people compare the price of gas to...

I absolutely hate when people compare the price of gas to other, completely arbitrary liquids.

For instance, "I can get a gallon of water for 50 cents! Why does a gallon of gas cost $3??"

Or comparing it to the price of soda. Or milk.

The only thing that could conceivably make sense would be to compare it to the price of a gallon of crude oil. However, I've never heard anyone use that comparison. I suppose because it would actually be intelligent and valid.

If you're one of those who likes to compare gas to arbitrary liquids, I have one for you.

Why don't you compare the price of one gallon of gas to the price of one gallon of liquid gold?

That is all.
Working...
X