X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HYHYBT
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfie View Post
    And if OP *HAD* bookmarked the location and lost it due to a hard drive crash/malware, would you be blaming them for not bookmarking on multiple machines? Technology fails - if someone will need to get to a particular website on a regular basis, those who mandate the need have a responsibility to make it easy to get to, so that local storage (whether bookmark or history) is a convenience rather than a necessity.
    Of course not, because what you quoted of mine says just the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfie View Post
    And if OP *HAD* bookmarked the location and lost it due to a hard drive crash/malware, would you be blaming them for not bookmarking on multiple machines?
    No, because that's absurd.

At that point, the IT should have the system backup to restore him to the condition he was in prior to the crash, and if not, then it's an IT issue, not a user issue.

I speak from recent unpleasant experience here. Apparently our IT guy (one guy, only comes in 1 day a week) didn't understand how to back up Firefox, and I lost all of my bookmarks when he had to re-install Windows 8 (ugh) because it was causing a backup failure. I now back that shit up to the cloud; at least what can be backed up without releasing my Firefox password to the same service.

Leave a comment:

• wolfie
    replied
    Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    Also, why didn't you bookmark the location? Relying on history is just begging for trouble.
    Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
    That *is* the sort of thing that ought to be provided in a place easy to find even without a bookmark; otherwise, how would you get it in the first place to bookmark it?
    Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
    yeah, this isn't a technology fail- it's a combination of user fail ( you really should have that page bookmarked) and work fail for not providing an easily-accessible link.
    And if OP *HAD* bookmarked the location and lost it due to a hard drive crash/malware, would you be blaming them for not bookmarking on multiple machines? Technology fails - if someone will need to get to a particular website on a regular basis, those who mandate the need have a responsibility to make it easy to get to, so that local storage (whether bookmark or history) is a convenience rather than a necessity.

Leave a comment:

• Rageaholic
    replied
    You know, I take it back. It is technology. Something as simple as checking for hours requires memorizing a bazillion passwords and URLs.

Leave a comment:

• Rageaholic
    replied
    Those automated menus are especially annoying when they make you listen to the whole pitch before continuing (Even if you already know by heart the menu options.) Then there are those overly long introductions where they make you listen to the hours, their special offers, and all this other crap you already know before finally being able to select an option. And of course, when you do end up talking to someone and giving them your info, they transfer you to someone else who always wants all that info.

Leave a comment:

• s_stabeler
    replied
    give them credit- they were apparently trying to get it fixed.

but yeah, sometimes, ease of use can come at the expense of function- and that irritates me.

Leave a comment:

• protege
    replied
    Originally posted by HEMI6point1 View Post
    On something that is designed to get to information in an efficient manor, then it better be easy to use.
    I hear ya. One thing I *hate* are those automated menus that many companies use now. Why is it that when I need to talk to someone about a problem...I have to press an endless stream of numbers, which may, or may not put me in the right department? Usually, it's the latter. Then I have to explain my problem *again* and get transferred *again.*

Case in point, I had my credit card stolen some years ago. Some ass twinkie at the Kmart in Poughkeepsie, NY, somehow got my number when I bought a tie (I was up there for my cousin's wedding) in the store...and then used my card to make several dozen calls to Australia

After several attempts at trying to get to the fraud department--and wasting half an hour--I had every right to be pissed. When I got sent to the wrong place again, I lost it. I screamed into the phone "put me on with a fucking representative right now, goddammit!" Next thing I heard was "USAA, you've reached Lisa in the fraud department..."

Once I finally got through to her, I calmed down, explained what had happened, and she took care of it. I got a new card, had the charges reversed, and was told to fill out a police report, which I did. After everything was done, I told her that I knew it wasn't her fault...but their phone system sucked. She agreed with me, and apparently I wasn't the only one that thought so.

Turns out it sucked...because the firm they hired to set it up, cut a few corners, and they were in the middle of reconfiguring things.

Leave a comment:

• HEMI6point1
    replied
    It depends.

On something that is designed to get to information in an efficient manor, then it better be easy to use.

But (and this may be a little off-topic here, so sorry if it is)....

When I hear that an antivirus maker touts the new version as "easier to use for the average consumer," I cringe because I know that means "dumbed down to the point where it's crap."

Case in point? Kaspersky. When it was sold direct-only it was harder to use but man that bad boy was rockin'! Then K decided to sell it at big box stores and touted the newer versions as "easier to use for the average consumer." I knew what was going to happen - people on forums started complaining that once they "upgraded" to the ones available retail, it started to miss things the previous versions caught.

Leave a comment:

• Rageaholic
    replied
    Yeah, like the way you can't scroll down so all lists are stuck at the top. Annoying as hell.

Leave a comment:

• TheHuckster
    replied
    Argh, Sharepoint. If you wanted to talk about User Unfriendly Technology, there's plenty of material from that piece of crap besides a hard-to-remember URL.

Leave a comment:

• Rageaholic
    replied
    Mine is not that easy. I know it's part of sharepoint, but I need to enter a specific address otherwise it won't recognize me. You'd think they'd have the address listed in one of the many sheets they gave me, but no.

It's no big deal. I'll just go in person tomorrow and write down the web address (they have a shortcut), but it IS frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• Andara Bledin
    replied
    Well if a person doesn't pay attention to what it is, they won't know if it's easy to remember or not.

My work's web-based email portal is "mail.domain.com" ... you know, just about the most mindbogglingly easy thing to remember. And yet, half my co-irkers can't manage to keep that in their heads... >_>

Leave a comment:

• s_stabeler
    replied
    yeah, this isn't a technology fail- it's a combination of user fail ( you really should have that page bookmarked) and work fail for not providing an easily-accessible link.

Leave a comment:

• HYHYBT
    replied
    That *is* the sort of thing that ought to be provided in a place easy to find even without a bookmark; otherwise, how would you get it in the first place to bookmark it?

Leave a comment:

• Rageaholic
    replied
    Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
    Your first rant should really be directed to whomever is not making URLs easy to find at your work place. Every browser has a bookmark tool that specifically does what you want it to. Using browser history as a sort of bookmark system is like using your recycle bin to store your important documents. It's simply not designed for that.
    Yeah, this was a pretty bad title. In this instance it's not technologies fault but the people who make the information so secretive. I'm probably going to have to go to work in person to get the URL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X