You're Gay? You're FIRED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...255368537.html

Seems to be talking about the same thing, though if this, which isn't in the other article, is accurate then it changes everything:
    Victoria’s attorney-general Rob Hulls said the move would protect the right of church-run schools, hospitals and welfare services to refuse to employ or provide services to people whom they believe may undermine their beliefs.
    Not hiring someone is one thing, but refusing medical care is inexcusable.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      If that's accurate, then any hospital who refuses care based on "undermining their beliefs," or whatever retarded phrasing they use, should instead be charged with crimes. Someone dies? Friggin' Murder charges all around. That's just sick. "Love the sinner, hate the sin" my ass.
      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post
        "Love the sinner, hate the sin" my ass.
        you've clearly never been to Utah... that is nothing more than code for "hate the sinner and the sin"
        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

No protection for sexual orientation means they can fire you because they THINK you're gay... or even, in a different organization, because they think you're straight, though surely that's rare.
          Remember, I'm Australian. laws are a little different.

Most places will not refuse to hire someone based on orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
            Remember, I'm Australian. laws are a little different.

Most places will not refuse to hire someone based on orientation.
            Well your population started out as criminals, and everyone knows about prison gay. Our population started out as religious nutjobs. We have a long way before our laws catch up with the 20th century let alone the 21st.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
              hiring people that their invisible friend hasn't provided for free,
              R

O

F

L

!

Regarding the Australian laws thing, I find it very interesting how widely varied the kind of response to the Gay community is in Australia. In some ways, we are extremely conservative and prejudiced (this goes for other things like race, religion etc), and in other ways we are very accepting and laid back.

I don't know how we are viewed internationally, but I feel as though we are both one of the most tolerant and intolerant nations on the planet. It's very strange.

Comment

I'll agree with that Kalli.

We'll allow homosexual couples the benefits of heterosexual couples, but we don't allow them to get married.
                We'll allow gay pride parades (Mardi Gras in Australia is VERY different), but we don't watch gay teachers in our schools...

Comment

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...255368537.html

Seems to be talking about the same thing, though if this, which isn't in the other article, is accurate then it changes everything:

That was referring to hospitals firing people, not denying medical care.

Also.

She said she was pleased religious bodies would soon have to demonstrate how employing someone of a particular religion was an inherent requirement of a job.
                  So that it would make sense to fire someone they hired as a hospital chaplain who goes against the religion they should represent.

They need to prove that religion is relevant to the job.
                  "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                  ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I didn't see this one come up, but since it has, I'll throw in my bits.

AS has been mentioned, sexual orientation needs to be relevant. The word 'undermine' needs to be clarified, and I'm pretty sure the first wrongful dismissal case will help with that.

Now, for example, is it ok in the USA for a Democrat to be hired to work in a Republican office? Or, would they been 'undermining' the organisation? Over here, you can't get fired for political orientation, but it would make sense if the employee was actively demoting the company they work for. If a person is gay, and works for a religious organisation in a (say) representative role, wouldn't that undermine the religion (if said religion was against homosexuality)?? Would you hire a Muslim to preach about the Bible?(ie religious teacher in a Christian school).

So, I think in some circumstances, the changes are rather obvious (and irrelevant... although... ). Others will be more... suspect.

And here we are with a thread on Separation of Powers
                    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

I've just got to wonder, if you are in an association that is against certain things, first, why you are in said organization, and two, why you would be advertising it?

For example, I worked at a Boy Scout camp several summers running, starting after the Supreme Court ruling. Several staff members were bi or gay or "curious", but didn't talk about it to many people if at all. But one summer, we had an employee who talked about his orientation all the time. Including on the clock, in front of Scouts and Scouters, and even after the reservation director had to come in and have a talk with the entire group of that particular post. He got fired.

Is it right to be rejected for your beliefs? No. But at the same time when your beliefs are contrary to the beliefs of the organization, I don't think it should be expected for the organization to keep you long once those views are revealed.
                      I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                        Is it right to be rejected for your beliefs? No. But at the same time when your beliefs are contrary to the beliefs of the organization, I don't think it should be expected for the organization to keep you long once those views are revealed.
                        See who get's to decide what the Boy Scout's views are? Shouldn't former scouts have a partial say?

I mean seriously I am ashamed of what the "beliefs" of boy scouts are to the point I won't mention that I was one.
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

I do believe it was National and based on not only their interpretation, but also letters and responses given to them. All I was saying is when a group is publicly for or against something, why would you go counter their belief publicly when hired by them or even join them to begin with?
                          I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                            I mean seriously I am ashamed of what the "beliefs" of boy scouts are to the point I won't mention that I was one.
                            You just did....

ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Damn, that just sucks!
                              There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
                                Well your population started out as criminals, and everyone knows about prison gay.
                                Flyndaran! I almost spit out my M&Ms on my computer when I read that.
                                "Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe" -H. G. Wells

"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon

Comment

Working...
                                X