Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Atheism count as a religious viewpoint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
    We live on a tiny spec, in a rather large universe. Our claiming we have ANY answers absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt , right..would be like an ant which has never moved from a grain of sand claiming to know how the whole world works.
    No, it wouldn't. Science does know a lot about what we have observed but it doesn't claim to know about what hasn't been observed; which is more than could be said about religion.

We see so little, but think we know so much. Does that mean the answers we have now are not right? Look above to the "I KNOW I don't have the answers." so yeah we MIGHT be right, or 1000 years from now we could be looking back and saying "Man how stupid were we."
    Again, science doesn't work that way. If anything, science is self-correcting.

Either side, religion or atheist that claims "My way is the only right answer." I stop listening to. There is no possible debate there, or chance to learn and grow. Not even worth debating them, and I LOVE a good philosophical debate.
    You might listen when someone tells you that there is no evidence of something that can't be observed.

Look at how many things we "KNEW" at one time were proven wrong...

At one time we KNEW man could never fly...
    At one time we KNEW that the world was flat...
    At one time we KNEW that the universe revolved around Earth...
    Think about what we might KNOW tomorrow...
    And, as mentioned before, science corrects itself. The funny thing is that all of those notions were swept aside centuries, if not millennia, before the Scientific Enlightenment of the 18th Century. Have there been some gaffs since? Sure, but they've been corrected.

Some have claimed that Agnostics are cowards..refusing to chose a side out of fear. I don't know if that is true or not..but I do 'KNOW' () one thing. I will continue to question everything..until I have found the answers that satisfy me.
    Some, but not all.

Regardless if it is religion, or gravity, or the existence of the paranormal. Once you have closed your mind to any possibility..you may overlook answers because you refuse to see them.
    I've found that those who accuse others of having a close mind have theirs closed even tighter. Being a skeptic, I keep my mind open, but not to the point of gullibility; where unicorns, vampires, the Easter Bunny and other silly notions pop in without a verifiable trail.
    "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
    -- OMM 0000

Comment

Originally posted by Ipecac Drano View Post
      Have there been some gaffs since? Sure, but they've been corrected.
      Oh but you forgot a goodie. By what mechanism were those gaffes corrected? The scientific method of course!

Like the Piltdown Man fraud, oft-touted by creationists as "proof" that evolution was a fraud. It was the application of the scientific method that eventually exposed the fraud.
      Customer: I need an Apache.
      Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Ah the 'Science is just a tool' argument. Won't even get into how much like zealot religion that goes into. You are more then welcome to your own view, live and let live. Peace.

Comment

So long as you don't cross the line into declaring that not only are you right (which is of course fine), but that anyone who disagrees with you is a fool, all's well.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Ah the 'Science is just a tool' argument.
            It was never intended to be anything else.

Won't even get into how much like zealot religion that goes into. You are more then welcome to your own view, live and let live. Peace.
            If you went into it, would that make you a tool?

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            So long as you don't cross the line into declaring that not only are you right (which is of course fine), but that anyone who disagrees with you is a fool, all's well.
            It depends on what's being disagreed. If someone isn't in the mood to believe that 2 + 2 = 4; I have a free pass to laugh at them.
            "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
            -- OMM 0000

Comment

Working...
            X