No announcement yet.

Choice of where to get married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fiance's mom is paying for pretty much everything so she gets to weigh in on the decisions.

Comment

A) just because a person happens to be a member of parliament, does not mean that they shouldn't be permitted to bring to the government's attention certain 'issues' that arise in their community, and thus try to do something about it. In this case, a certain MP noticed something, and realised it was something that the local government needed a bill to change. (Given there is a Marriage (Wales) Bill, it would make sense). I'd also guess, since it did change at governmental level, that the marriage bill also had some similar stipulations - otherwise the bill would have been completely useless.

Short version - politicians are people too... (oh, ok, they're not!!!! )

B) can we start another civil war??
      ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
        There are some non-religious people who get married by a priest in a church in order to appease parents, grandparents, or other people who don't believe you're married until you're married by God. At least in America, it's hard to find an affordable, non-church, indoor venue for a wedding.
        I like this: 1. My lady and I shall be having a viking style wedding (need more combatants tho lol) 2. out at a park.

Yes it is true most of my family says this will not be a marriage in the eyes of god, well im pagan so w/e. Tho I have checked and the park does want to charge more for a 'reservation for marriage service' than their normal 'having a family BBQ/reunion" oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
          Aside from all the Church and State stuff, if you don't even go to a church, why would you want to be married in it?

If a church has absolutely no significance to you other than the fact that it's a pretty backdrop for the wedding pictures, why bother?
          That and if you don't go there you would have to donate like bout 10% of your money to them to get married there...eff that. I want to get married in a nice hotel ball room or something like that. Country clubs are nice too but 9 out of 10 times they're pretty pricey.
          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Well, this is in Britain, and tithing is usually observed by groups such as JWs etc. Most mainstream religions pass around the collection plates and hope for the best.

Rapscallion
            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
              Well, this is in Britain, and tithing is usually observed by groups such as JWs etc. Most mainstream religions pass around the collection plates and hope for the best.

Rapscallion
              Ah. See, here, a lot of churches expect you to contribute to the collection plate in addition to tithing.
              Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow, for I may not lead. Just go over there somewhere.

Comment

I believe judaism still has the paying for the seat in the synagogue thing, so sort of similar. No idea about islam. My experience of the christian churches over here is that it's occasional fundraisers (church galas etc) and collection plates.

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

The churches I've been to, tithing is a suggested amount to put into the collection plate.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Believe it or not at one point I was a pretty big Christian and at that time I decided that Churches the buildings themselves were the furthest thing from God possible I preferred chapels in the middle of the woods with the benches made of fallen trees and the alter being a tree stump this to me was being closer to God.

That being said I have always wanted a wedding in creation in a forest clearing the seating made of materials natural to the area in a way so that as to look natural to the area.

If possible me and the others would make the seating on site and then burn all of it in a bonfire to celebrate. Most things would be from the woods themselves except where that wasn't possible and when we left it would be as if we never were there in the first place the only thing noting our passing being the photos we would take and the memories in our hearts.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

I'm having my ceremony at a state park. Jordenelle State Park has a gorgeous facility, with wrap around floor to ceiling windows, which really open seamlessly into an open area, all looking over the reservoir. It is truly a modern meets natural place, and the beauty of it, every penny I pay in venue charges is going to be used to fund the state park for all to enjoy. If I were to go to a church (not that any in Utah would have me), the money would go to improving the church which only its members would get to use. If I were a Christian, I'd guess that would be a good thing, but for one who is not a member of any organized church, I see no purpose in putting money into an organization that I will never use. Besides, who wants to be cramped up in a church in the city when we can have it in the wide open spaces in the mountains

This of course reminds me that I need to get my money together for paying for the deposit on that place... anyone feel like making a donationg
                      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Working...
                      X