Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Childcare celebrates an "end of year" theme instead of Christmas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childcare celebrates an "end of year" theme instead of Christmas...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225973611078

It's not so much the article that's the problem, it's the comments. I have never seen so much racism ever....seriously, the so-called Rise of Islam is bullshit. We are not being forced to wear hijab, we are not being forced to pray five times a day, we are not being forced to boycott the pork industry and we are not being forced to fast for a month.

Basically, the point I'm trying to get is: is it worth trying to be inclusive? It'd be a great way to foster tolerance in young people though

*sigh*

I can't stand how close-minded and xenophobic some people are.

"Oh, noes! They're celebrating something I don't understand so now I'm going to freak out because I have no personal integrity so this threatens my identity!" 9.9

Nevermind that Christmas is a co-opted solstice celebration to begin with. Idiots.

Kudos to the childcare center, though. Good on them for embracing more than just the dominant religion.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've said it before and I've said it again. Jesus preached tolerance, he said "love one another" not "be a bunch of ass backwards racist bigots"

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
        I've said it before and I've said it again. Jesus preached tolerance, he said "love one another" not "be a bunch of ass backwards racist bigots"
        Jesus was also brown, but try seeing how well that goes over when you mention it. -.-

Comment

And here I thought all along he has a Jew. They aren't "brown", are they?

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
            He was from what is now Israel, so he would have looked rather Arabic. Even in America, many of Jewish descent have dark, curly hair, dark eyes, etc. YMMV. (One of my profs is Jewish and a ginger, so go figure.)

Comment

I didn't want to sound like I was stereotyping, just that every Jew I've ever known or seen had fair skin, dark *usually curly* hair and lighter colored eyes.

Although you make a good point, that was a long time ago. I guess I just wonder about all the pictures of him because who could have really known what he looked like and drew/painted a picture?

Comment

Judaism is a religion, not a race. That's why you convert to it.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^
                  Yep. There are as many colors of Jew as there are of Christian, Muslim, or Atheist.
                  Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow, for I may not lead. Just go over there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    But there are some Jewish groups that only recognize those "born" Jewish, not converts. I went to a Shabbat service, and later was talking to a lady who had converted, and she said that there were some synagogues that she couldn't go to, because they don't recognize converts as "true" Jews.

Comment

Although you make a good point, that was a long time ago. I guess I just wonder about all the pictures of him because who could have really known what he looked like and drew/painted a picture?
                      Compounding that, the Romans torched every likeness of him they could get their hands on at one point. There's also practically no physical descriptions of him to be had in the Bible. So blue eyed hippy white Jesus is a complete work of delusional fiction.

He likely looked more like this. As thats what the average man of his time in his place would have looked like.

Buddha on the other hand had one follower who was disturbingly obsessed with his lucious body and waxed on about it for pages and pages in minut detail. Until Buddha told him to stop. Likely because it was creepy as hell. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                        So blue eyed hippy white Jesus is a complete work of delusional fiction.
                        People want their God to look like them, so that's what medieval and, later, Renaissance artists did. They made Jesus look like them.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                          People want their God to look like them, so that's what medieval and, later, Renaissance artists did. They made Jesus look like them.
                          Their God looking like them is perfectly fine. But if you're going to go on about what you claim is a historical figure who really existed, you've got to accept the entire reality of it. Not just bits and pieces of it with wishes holding it together. -.-

Comment

I agree, GK. I was just pointing out where "blue-eyed, baby Jesus" came from.

Comment

It's not mentioned in the Bible (at least not the version that exists today), but supposedly some reports from Romans of the time described him as both "golden-haired" and "blue eyed."

Personally, I don't care what he actually looked like. It's what he did and didn't do that's important.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                              X