No announcement yet.

Teacher's using classrooms to promote their religious views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to this article at Advocate.com, the teacher has reported been "dealt with."

Unfortunately, there isn't really any additional information out there

Other than comments from other kids from that school stating that one of the first cases about bullying of gay students got a seeming disparate punishment because the kid in question was a bully himself using his orientation as a shield. Lovely.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
      Free speech? Sounds like a case of a person in authority forcing their viewpoint onto a captive audience, which is wrong.

This teacher should be fired, in my opinion.
      Definitely, although you'd probably have a hard time finding a ceramics company who'd be willing to tolerate the downtime and contamination of their kiln.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
        Definitely, although you'd probably have a hard time finding a ceramics company who'd be willing to tolerate the downtime and contamination of their kiln.
        HA!

Its funny because of the word fired.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

That is not an eduactor, I know educators. I am proud of that they bring to the table.
          This individual needs to be fired immediately.

Comment

Personally, I think that there's no place for religion in the classroom and that the teacher shouldn't force their beliefs or get on a soapbox about their religious views.
            There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Unless it's specifically a religious school run by a church, and not in receipt of public funds, then religion should be relegated to basic facts and historical information as applicable to the class being taught.

However, one should not ban the students themselves from non-intrusive and non-disruptive religious observance, either.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                According to this article at Advocate.com, the teacher has reported been "dealt with."

^-.-^
                I have to ask, am I the only one who upon seeing the phrase 'they have been dealt with', has a vision of men in black suits with a Jersey accent pulling up to an unsuspecting person late at night and then fitting said person with some concrete shoes?

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                  I have to ask, am I the only one who upon seeing the phrase 'they have been dealt with', has a vision of men in black suits with a Jersey accent pulling up to an unsuspecting person late at night and then fitting said person with some concrete shoes?

Just curious.
                  As a person from New Jersey, I would have to answer...

Yes.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    Unless it's specifically a religious school run by a church, and not in receipt of public funds, then religion should be relegated to basic facts and historical information as applicable to the class being taught.
                    They do this to some degree at the school that I'm doing my field placement at. It's a Steiner school, so the curriculum is somewhat different from the get-go. The big difference however is that at Year 4 level (known as Class 3), the kids learn the Bible stories, but ONLY as just that: stories. It's made very clear from the start that the stories are not taught as gospel: God is referred to as Yahweh and the stories are not referred to by their Biblical chapters. The questions coming from the kids are along the lines of "So what happened to the Israelites?"

The class I'll be taking (which is around Year 7 level) cover the "birth" of Christianity and Islam.

In Class Five (Year Six level), they cover Ancient India, so I suspect that the kids do cover a bit on Hinduism in that case, again though, not necessarily as Gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                      More likely, it means, "We haven't actually done anything, and we don't intend to. But we don't want anyone asking us about it anymore."
                      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

This teacher may be the most recent one, but I can remember many teachers in school pushing their beliefs in the classroom.
                        The practice wasn't as strongly performed back when I was at my first college but... there was some subtle versions of it.

Had a biology teacher teaching about XY & XX chromosomes. I still remember him putting in a quip declaring "virgin birth" to be impossible.

The comment wasn't vital to the lecture. I suspect he did it just for personal reasons.

More likely, it means, "We haven't actually done anything, and we don't intend to. But we don't want anyone asking us about it anymore."
                        probably. that's what it means in the retail world, right?

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
                          Had a biology teacher teaching about XY & XX chromosomes. I still remember him putting in a quip declaring "virgin birth" to be impossible.
                          Wow. Not only religiously biased, but factually wrong, too.

Sure, it takes sperm and ova to make a fetus, but it doesn't take sex to introduce the two.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
                            Even if we accept the statement at face value (already dismantled by Andara, of course), there's still the whole problem of miracles specifically being things that are supposed to be impossible in the first place. If anyone could do it, it wouldn't be much of a miracle, now would it?

Comment

at least with college classes (at most colleges), if you have a professor who does that, you have the choice to drop the class and request a refund (in many schools it is no questions asked as long as it is early enough, and even later in the semester there are appeals). I did that in an ethics class that it was obvious after the first week of class the professor's idea of ethics was the only ethical way of acting was to be Mormon (he is a great example of what is wrong with tenure, he has never received a good student review at the end of the semester and has over a 50% drop rate and yet he is still teaching).
                              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                                Even if we accept the statement at face value (already dismantled by Andara, of course), there's still the whole problem of miracles specifically being things that are supposed to be impossible in the first place. If anyone could do it, it wouldn't be much of a miracle, now would it?
                                My apologies. I misquoted him - it's been a long time since that class (about 20 years).

something about how a virgin cannot give birth to a MALE son without having a father etc.

still, no one had even asked about that. he just slipped it in. and somehow i just knew he meant Mary. And I felt he was trying to subtly push his own views into the class.

Comment

Working...
                                X