Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huh?? (Priest Gets 2 Year Jail Sentence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huh?? (Priest Gets 2 Year Jail Sentence)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...ates_assaulted

I blame the site for not having the right wording, etc., because the way it sounds is that the relations were consensual. Don't get me wrong, it was a huge abuse of power; but, if it was consensual all the way around...a two year jail sentence??

Like I said, it's probably just not worded clearly; but, the way it sounds from the article..

It sounds like it's the same principle as forbidding college professors from having relations with their students or forbidding managers from having relations with their employees. With that large of a power imbalance, there are very few ways it could work out in a healthy manner. Also, it sounds like this is a violation of a federal regulation, which means the priest knew the rules and the consequences when he signed up. Let him get his booty somewhere else.

Comment

I agree with that; but, a two year prison sentence? There has to be more to the story than I am seeing, or the wording made it sound consensual when it really wasn't.

Comment

He's getting dinged for sexual abuse of his wards. I didn't see in there anywhere where it was consensual, but I might have missed it, too.

Comment

Statutory rape is consensual, or at least the victim doesn't protest. It's still rape, because the victim is not in a position to give or withhold consent. An inmate may not be in that position either, or feel that she is not. A year in jail for each woman he had statutory rape/sex with sounds tolerable to me. Without knowing specifics, I can't be more opinionated.

Comment

That's my problem with the article, it's not specific. So I don't want to comment further either because I may be interpreting it all wrong. JMO

Comment

Reads to me as 'consented' - otherwise it's rape.

If there was no punishment, or it was a fairly lenient one, then others may be encouraged to try their luck... that's the idea of a 'deterrance'. 2 years (if he even spends that long in there) is, IMO, 'fair' (whatever that means...)
              ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Does he work for the prison or is he a volunteer? "prison chaplain" makes it sound like he works there. If he does, I don't see this as much different than a security guard having sex with an inmate. Is that punished by jail time?

Comment

Originally posted by anriana View Post
                  a security guard having sex with an inmate. Is that punished by jail time?
                  usually yes
                  Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
                  X