Praying in Schools, Pledging the Flag in Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praying in Schools, Pledging the Flag in Church

The praying in school thread made me think of this.

This issue comes up for me twice a year...Memorial Day and July the Forth. I tend to avoid church during those times.

Why? Because I am uncomfortable pledging the flag and singing national pride type songs in church. I don't' want to make a big deal out of it. I'm not protesting or anything. In fact, the only person I've discussed this with that I recall is my husband. But I'm just not comfortable doing that, so I just quietly avoid the situation.

I'm certainly not against pledging, or national songs, or anything like that. I just think church is not the place for it.

Anyone's opinion here is welcome, of course, but I am particularly interested in hearing what other church-going Christians think about this.

I'm not a church-goer, but I've always objected to the whole pledging the flag thing on idolatry grounds. *shrug*

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yeah, at the risk of sounding like I'm anti American or anti flag or what have you, which I am not, it kind of rubs me that way, too.

Throw and church in there and I just can't do it.

I think I'd almost be less bothered by it if it was changed to a more direct "swearing of fealty" sort of thing.
      Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 06-08-2011, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I've always felt that saying the Pledge was crass and vulgar. It's as if I'm being forced to tell everybody else that I love my country.
        "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
        -- OMM 0000

Comment

Seperation of Church and State exists for many many reasons. While religion can teach many valuable moral lessons, the practice of any religion has no place in government.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
            Seperation of Church and State exists for many many reasons. While religion can teach many valuable moral lessons, the practice of any religion has no place in government.
            That's true, and I doubt anyone here would disagree with you on that point. The question here is a bit reversed though. Does patriotism have a place in religion?

As for me, I never really had an issue with the patriotic songs being sung in church. They were always some of my favorite hymns and a lot of them had a bit of praise God in them, so I actually kinda looked forward to July. But I was also Southern Baptist, and God and country are very intertwined in that sect.

Nowadays, yeah, I kinda do have an issue with the pledge in general. Same as the issues I have religion. If someone wants to honor the flag, they should do it. Someone doesn't want to pledge, they shouldn't be given dirty looks and death glares from everyone around when they choose not to salute.

Wanna know what's scary? I still remember the Pledge to the Christian Flag and the Pledge to the Bible they drilled into us in Vacation Bible School alongside the Pledge of Allegiance.

"I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag, and to the Savior for whose kingdom it stands. One brotherhood uniting all Christians in service and love."

"I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's Holy Word, and will make it a lamp unto my feet, a light unto my path, and will hide its words in my heart that I might not sin against God."

Yeah, didn't have to look that up. And yes, I'm atheist now, and haven't been to church in nearly ten years.

Comment

I still can't figure out how any sort of pledge to any inanimate object can possibly avoid the issue of idolatry.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I just think reciting the Pledge of Allegiance is silly. "To the republic for which it stands," sure, if you think saying such things means anything. But what use is promising to obey a piece of cloth?
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylyn View Post
                  Wanna know what's scary? I still remember the Pledge to the Christian Flag and the Pledge to the Bible they drilled into us in Vacation Bible School alongside the Pledge of Allegiance.
                  Oh, me too. Also, remember some of the songs they taught us?

"I may never march in the Infantry,
                  Ride in the Calvary,
                  Shoot the Artillery,
                  I may never zoom o'er the enemy,
                  But I'm in the Lord's Army."

With hand motions! As in pretend to point a gun. In church. Taught to children. As an adult, it horrifies me.

Comment

I remember that song too. I remember doing the pledges to the Christian flag and to the Bible too. Now while I am still a believer, some of that stuff is just a little over the top.

As for praying in schools, I do not think a student should be forbidden from praying if they wish to. By the same token they should not be forced to pray either.

While I don't think there is anything inherently evil with saying the Pledge in church, I don't think it's entirely appropriate. After all, I remember being taught in church that while we're supposed to obey the laws of the land and pay taxes and such, our true loyalty should be to the Kingdom of Heaven. To that end, pledging loyalty to the flag seems a bit out of place.

As an aside, remind me to thwap you if I ever see you, Admin. I've got that song stuck in my head now. Grrr.

Comment

Working...
                    X