Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is what happens when religion is in charge

story here

The catholic church was in charge of social services and to "save" children from the horrors of being raised by loving yet possibly poor or unwed parents, they stole the children and sold them to "good" families. Told the mothers their babies died, this was done from 1939 to 1989(and a few into the early 90's), and accounted for up to 15% of "adoptions"(considering the children were given false birth certificates with the buying parent's names, I'm guessing the number is probably higher)

In reality, the babies were sold to childless couples whose devout beliefs and financial security meant that they were seen as more appropriate parents.
    that is disgusting
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

To make matters worse, I doubt anyone will pay for it.

Comment

I heard about similar things happening between UK and Aus when I was about 10.

A family friend found out that he was 'adopted' just after birth. He managed to track down his birth mother to the UK. Like the Spanish mothers, she was told he had died just after he was born. Her parents forced her to go to a church run home for unmarried soon-to-be mums. This was in the late 50's.

I hope they establish a national database in Spain. And hope that the mothers go after the church, the hospital and the staff that helped it all happen.

Comment

Not that I agree with this practice at all, how about taking into consideration the fact that 1) the practice started off politically motivated and probably remained so for at least 40 years (since that's how long Franco ruled), and 2) it wasn't just the Church involved? Doctors and nurses were also taking money, and we're only given three examples with direct involvement with a priest or nun.
        I has a blog!

Comment

Wow...that's just fucked up.
          There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
            Not that I agree with this practice at all, how about taking into consideration-
            Yeah, I'm no fan of the Catholic Church's shenannighans, but this started as a way for Franco to swipe children away from families that opposed his politics. As well as a convenient way for people to get rid of children out of wedlock to avoid shame.

That said, the Catholic Church in Spain definately shares the other half of the blame for the practice continuing beyond that point. However, I highly doubt it goes up the ranks outside of Spain in any way. Ist certainly not helping the Catholic Church's image any though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
              Yeah, I'm no fan of the Catholic Church's shenannighans, but this started as a way for Franco to swipe children away from families that opposed his politics.
              Aw... Here you go bringing facts in to get in the way of a good anti-religion rant.

I've never been a fan of the Catholic Church, but this didn't happen because of religion - it happened because of politics.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

As terrible as that is, it has nothing to do with religion. Its a political move. The fact that religion is INVOLVED doesn't make it BECAUSE of religion.
                Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 10-25-2011, 02:31 AM.
                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                  As terrible as that is, it has nothing to do with religion. Its a political move. The fact that religion is INVOLVED doesn't make it BECAUSE of religion.
                  While there is truth in that, both political and religous individuals were involved and they will share the equal amount of blame for what they have done.

Comment

My main issue is that every article I've read on this has the same three stories in it to show the involvement of the Church. This doesn't really support the theory that there was massive Church involvement. Maybe a few Church run hospitals had a continuation because of the priests and nuns, maybe the doctors and nurses were still driving it in the hospitals and the priests and nuns just wanted to make sure the kids went to good homes in that case. I don't know. And the articles don't reveal much either besides a few incendiary cases.
                    I has a blog!

Comment

While there is truth in that, both political and religous individuals were involved and they will share the equal amount of blame for what they have done.
                      Yes, but the fact that religious individuals were involved doesn't make religion in general at fault. It would be just as reasonable to take the fact that politicians were involved and say "This is what happens when you let politicians have control over things."

The people may have been RELIGIOUS, but that does not mean religion was what MOTIVATED them.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I beg to differ.

The motivation behind doing this way to take a child away from either a young or unmarried girl, who would of been seen as unworthy of a child in their religious view and then given to families of devout belief (and good finances), who they see as better parents.

Also, they would make a lot of money out of this... And, sorry to say, certain (<- key word) religious groups will use their religion and its loopholes to do unquestionable things... like selling a child of a young mum to someone else because they believe it to be the better choice.

So... I can see two motivational forces behind this already. Money and Religious beliefs. Combining the two make more evil.

Comment

In addition, it appears that all of these incidents happened in Catholic-run hospitals. Now, it may be that all of the hospitals in Spain were, at the time, Catholic-run, but there still seems to be a strong correlation between religion being in charge and the devout doing horrible things.
                          "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post

The people may have been RELIGIOUS, but that does not mean religion was what MOTIVATED them.
                            It kind of does.
                            For a religious person, religion is such a large part of their lives that everything they do is at least indirectly motivated by religion (if at no other level than it affects their moral worldview).
                            Even things we consider trivial can be influenced by religion, for example, do I cut this person off in traffic.
                            Now, if my religious belief is that Christ commanded us to do unto others as we would have them do unto us, I wouldn't even consider cutting the person off.
                            If my religious belief is that I have been predestined to be saved I won't think twice about cutting them off, because after all, in the scheme of things it doesn't matter.

So, to say that these religious people weren't (at least in some way) motivated by their religion is a bit naive.
                            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              It kind of does.
                              For a religious person, religion is such a large part of their lives that everything they do is at least indirectly motivated by religion (if at no other level than it affects their moral worldview).
                              No. No, it's not. For some, yes. But to say that is the case for everybody is ignorant.

I don't have my moral worldview because I'm religious; I'm my religion because it fits in with my moral worldview.

Also, it's worth noting that larger percentage of vocal "religious" people aren't religious at all; they're just vocal fakers. What I refer to as Churchians. They only go to church and claim religion so they can act superior and be general douchebags. They're not douchebags because they're religious; they're "religious" because they're douchebags.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X