No announcement yet.

Religion, taxes, and policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'official' reason churches do not pay taxes is because they are considered non-profit organizations, and non-profit organizations are tax-exempt. It's been that way since 1913.

The IRS regulations read in part:

"TITLE 26--INTERNAL REVENUE CODE; Sec. 501 Exemption from tax on corporations, certain trusts, etc.; (c) List of exempt organizations; (3) Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sport competition... or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals... no substancial part of the activities of which is carry on propoganda, or likewise attempting, to influence legislation [except as otherwise provided in subsection (h)], and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements) and political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office."

(Italics are my emphasis)

Unlike most non-profit orgs, however, churches are not required to to make their financial statements public. Most churches aren't even required to file annual reports. Unfortunately, IRS regulations do not even specifically define the word church, so it's all a muddled gray area.

Ministers of every faith are exempt from federal taxes for most of the money they spend on housing, as well as exempt from income tax withholding and can opt out of Social Security.

Puts tele-evangelism as a career into a new light, doesn't it?
    Last edited by ThePhoneGoddess; 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhoneGoddess View Post

Puts tele-evangelism as a career into a new light, doesn't it?
      Especially those ones that promise that if you pray for money and wealth that it comes.
      I know there were some Congressional probes into the spending on some of the more flagrant ones, but I don't know what came of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
        Of course, everyone knows that many churches are highly involved in politics, but still don't pay a dime in taxes. As far as I'm concerned, they can't have their cake and eat it too. They should get the hell out of government or pay for the privilege.
        The late great George Carlin once said that churches should be taxed. He said, "If they're so interested in politics, let 'em pay their fucking admission like everyone else!"

I tend to agree with him.
        --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
          The late great George Carlin once said that churches should be taxed. He said, "If they're so interested in politics, let 'em pay their fucking admission like everyone else!"

I tend to agree with him.
          Ya know, George Carlin would have been a great person to have seen as a Mayor or Governor. Too bad he would have probably been recalled and thrown out, but at least there would have been something done during his short tenure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia727 View Post
            So taxes is a state concern that the churches are separated from? That doesn't sound right to me. They own land in the city, they benefit from the state's services like police and fire, why should they get a pass on taxes just because they talk to god(s)?
            The land issue is interesting. For recognized religions, the land their church is on is considered sovereign territory, and until such a time that the church is no longer there, there is no land taxes owned.

It's actually why sanctuary can still be granted, even in modern days.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
              It's actually why sanctuary can still be granted, even in modern days.
              I know that in certain states, and I assume it would be the same nationwide, there is absolutely no legal standing for sanctuary. The only reason it still holds any water at all is that the police and other goverernment officials are leery of the bad press that would be generated by an invasion of a holy place. They have the legal right to do so if they choose, but they almost always choose to find a less controversial method of extraction.

Also, I hadn't heard anything about "sovereign terrority" in regards to religion. Embassies, yes; churches, no. Of course, this could well vary between countries. The founders of the USA were concerned about the then-too-powerful institution of Christianity, and placed specific limits on the power of religions.

Comment

Working...
              X