Rape Victim Denied Contraceptives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rape Victim Denied Contraceptives

Because of the doctor's stupid religious beliefs.

I can't even begin to describe how stupid this is. We're not even talking about abortion here. Contraceptives are a very reasponsable proceedure that can prevent unwanted pregnancies and the need for abortion. How anyone can be against this floors me. Apparently, we're all here to suffer for our sins (especially women).

If treating people is against your irrational beliefs, THAN DON'T FUCKING BE A DOCTOR!!

....I fucking hate my state sometimes.

Just. Really? Contraception? Contra fucking ception? You couldnt give fucking contraception to a rape victim Because your nose is buried in the bible that is firmly wedged in your colon?!

Comment

I believe the key lies here:
      ...and refused to find another doctor to help her.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        I believe the key lies here:
        can't find the court case right now, but refusing to find another doctor, and refusing to prescribe Plan B, is valid grounds for malpractice.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Depends on the state. One state passed a law saying you can do that. Assholes, but... Not illegal.

Which makes it WORSE.
          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

It might not be against the law, but it's absolutely against the trust placed in you as a physician. >_<

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I agree with that one at least.

I'm just saying he can't be sued for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                I'm just saying he can't be sued for it.
                a pharmacist can refuse to fill the Rx, a doctor can refuse to write the Rx, however refusing to find another doctor to treat a patient because of YOUR beliefs is most definitely malpractice. Malpractice is going against the standard of care, The AMA guidelines require counseling and the provision of EC to rape victims as the established standard of care.

found the lawsuit, which was taken to the federal appellate court, so there is a legal precedence set at the federal level that says "YES this is malpractice!", mind you this lawsuit was against a CATHOLIC hospital, and the hospital lost, for not providing plan b.

The court ruling itself stated that Catholic Hospitals have the responsibility "to provide information concerning, and access to, estrogen prophylaxis for rape victims."

Brownfield v. Daniel Freeman Marina Hospital

In this 1989 federal appellate court case, the plaintiff was taken to Freeman Hospital’s emergency room after being raped. In response to the patient’s request for information about the morning-after pill, the hospital authorities refused to provide such information, believing that they could not, on the grounds that it was a Catholic hospital. Specifically, the hospital did not inform the patient that if she wanted such treatment it must be obtained within 72 hours to be effective. The court reasoned that a patient has the right to make her own decisions regarding treatment, and therefore, adequate disclosure of information must be provided so the patient can make an informed decision. The court concluded that a rape victim who is denied information about access to the morning-after pill may bring a medical malpractice action. This means that liability may arise if the patient can show: 1) that a skilled practitioner would have provided such information and access under similar circumstances; 2) that she would have elected such treatment; and 3) that "damages" (in this case, pregnancy) resulted from the failure to provide such information. In a footnote to its decision, the court indicated that "access" to such treatment could include transfer of the patient to another medical facility or another physician.
                I found the lawsuit to back up my claim, whee is the "law" to back up yours?

Comment

The law is in Kansas, not Oklahoma. I wasn't sure what state it was in.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/201...8/gvsc0528.htm

But there is a law about this. Which, as I said, is worse.

My claim was primarily that these laws exist. Not that they applied to this case.

Comment

Personally, I think regardless of religion, if you provide health care and receive government money, you should have to provide all legal standards of care that you are qualified to give. This whole picking and choosing over "moral" qualms is bullshit. If you do decide you don't want to provide whatever, go into private practice and have a readily available notice of what you will not provide/perform.

It's also bullshit that in the US it seems the only morals that are seen as, well, moral are the ones from the Christian mindset. I am a moral person, but I'm sure not a Christian.

Comment

well ladies, we are officially not women anymore, we are walking breeding factories. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by RedRoseSpiral View Post
                        It's also bullshit that in the US it seems the only morals that are seen as, well, moral are the ones from the Christian mindset.
                        Also forcing your morals on another person is "religious freedom".

Comment

Also forcing your morals on another person is "religious freedom".
                          Freedom for me and not for thee. >_<

Honestly, I can understand refusing to provide someone something that goes against your religious conscience... Provided that you then show her someone else who WILL. Because otherwise you're enforcing YOUR conscience on someone who might disagree with you on the matter.
                          Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 06-04-2012, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                            Because of the doctor's stupid religious beliefs.

I can't even begin to describe how stupid this is. We're not even talking about abortion here. Contraceptives are a very reasponsable proceedure that can prevent unwanted pregnancies and the need for abortion. How anyone can be against this floors me. Apparently, we're all here to suffer for our sins (especially women).

If treating people is against your irrational beliefs, THAN DON'T FUCKING BE A DOCTOR!!
                            That's probably why he became a doctor in the first place - so he could be a "gatekeeper", able to force his beliefs on others.

Comment

Dunno - over here it's seven years of medical school and so forth to get into the doctoring trade, if memory serves, and I can't see it being much different in the US. It's a bit of a long stretch to go for such a long training course and getting yourself into such a position to stop the cases of abortion requests he'd see as a fairly minor proportion of his likely overall workload.

I'd have thought he'd have gone into the medical profession out of a desire to help others. It's just his definition of what's helping is not the same as that of others.

Rapscallion
                              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X