Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I smack this guy? Please?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/being-...-1226497360980

OK, the article isn't so much a problem. Basically it's referring to a program that's being run in schools to stamp out homophobia. Great idea in theory.
    The only problem I see with it personally is some of the language that's used ("heterosexism"?) .

Not good enough for Fred Nile aka NSW's version of Fred Phelps. (almost)

He wants the program stopped and all elements of it eradicated.

I'm sory "positioning heterosexuality as the norm for human relationship," is not heterosexism, it is the norm, the majority of relationships are heterosexual, I think someone's just gone and found a new buzz word to put on their PC high horse.
    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
      I'm sory "positioning heterosexuality as the norm for human relationship," is not heterosexism, it is the norm, the majority of relationships are heterosexual, I think someone's just gone and found a new buzz word to put on their PC high horse.
      See, I agree with you on that, although both sides have gone the wrong way about it. Sure, run the "stamp out homophobia" program, but using buzzwords like that is the wrong way to go about it.

On the other hand, if Fred Nile wants to form his own army to stamp out homosexuals, then he should start with religious schools.

ETA: http://www.samesame.com.au/news/loca...ol-program.htm better article.
      Last edited by fireheart17; 10-17-2012, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I think there are shades of meaning involved here. If, by "the norm," you simply mean the way things usually are, then that's fine. If, though, you add, even silently or implied, "and therefore the way things ought always to be," or if you simply ignore the possibility of their being otherwise, that's not.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
          The problem with this whole sentence is the English language. Norm being short for normal would mean exactly what you said, that it is what the majority practice, but in different contexts, which I think this is one of those times, norm can be used in place of natural state... which yes, heterosexuality is a natural human relationship, but it is not the only natural human relationship, which if you were to phrase it as "heterosexuality is the natural state for human relationships" then yes, it is getting a bit into the realm of heterosexism, because the word "the" without anything else implies "the only"
          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

If I can find it when I get home and I'm not on my phone I'll see if I can find an interesting article I saw about the use of language and its correctness/incorrectness.
            I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
            Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Working...
            X