No announcement yet.

Gay is wrong, but not this other stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me go give them a read and I'll get back to you on that. I don't want you to think I'm ignoring the question, I just don't know how to answer off the top of my head.

LATER: Okay, I'm sitting here with a Good News New Testament in my hands.

Corinthians: I found nothing specific on homosexuality, but Paul seems extremely aghast about hearing about a guy getting it on with his stepmother. He goes on a little tirade against general sexual immorality, but if he mentions homosexuality specifically, I can't find it. He also, at one point, admits that he has no "word from God" about any of this, but he considers his opinion one we can trust and says as much.

Keep in mind Paul was a bit uptight and had to be reigned in more than once. One of the great frustrations in Jesus's life, it would seem, was the failure of his apostles to "get it." Am I suggesting that his word is no good? Absolutely not. I AM suggesting that he was a man, just like any man, and he is subject to his own opionions and ideas.

Timothy: I dunno, I see the name "Timothy" and I kind of cringe a little. First Timothy is littered with the phrase "I would prefer" (that women remain silent in church, that young widows marry, that married men stay married and that single ones stay single, etc. ) This really isn't about what Timothy prefers. Not only that, but the cat is seriously judgemental. I take this chapter with a grain of salt.

Romans: Paul again. He DOES mention homosexuality, but doesn't rail on is specifically. He goes on to say "woman perverting their sex, men having passion for one another, etc. is bad." I would read that to say he is not happy with any form of sexual deviance at all, and lumps it in with thievery, lying, ethical corruption, etc. We know that someone who likes to give BJs is not automatically a theif. He says immoral people will get punished by God.

He then goes on in the VERY NEXT SECTION to say that judgment against such people is wrong, and since we all are sinners, to do so brings judgement down on the head of the person doing the judging. I didn't actually spot the word "hypocrisy" but I believe that that is what he was getting at.

It boils down to Jesus saying "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Paul might be a tad misogynistic and uptight but it would appear from this passage that he, at least, "gets it."

I didn't get to Jude yet.

I will say this: Even if Paul said "Burn gays at the stake!" it would still be overridden by Jesus saying "Love thy neighbor as thyself." and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

If it's wrong, let God judge. If I'm wrong, God will judge me, too. And I hope he will consider, if he does, that my "sin" (according to some of these fundies) is my refusal to judge and hate.
    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 08-25-2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      Let me go give them a read and I'll get back to you on that. I don't want you to think I'm ignoring the question, I just don't know how to answer off the top of my head.

LATER: Okay, I'm sitting here with a Good News New Testament in my hands.
      Thank you for your perspective, and I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge you earlier. I saw your post shortly after you posted it, but I didn't say anything because I didn't know if you'd be adding to it or not. Just didn't want you to think that your thoughts went unnoticed.

Just for fun, here is the verse in Jude. It's Jude 7 (only one chapter in that book)

"In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire."

Someone once told me that this was the "conversation ender" for homosexuality being a sin in Christianity. I'm not sure how, seeing as how it doesn't even mention homosexuality. Even the King James Version doesn't use the word "homosexuality" in that verse. It uses "fornication," but not homosexuality.

Comment

Someone once told me that this was the "conversation ender" for homosexuality being a sin in Christianity. I'm not sure how, seeing as how it doesn't even mention homosexuality. Even the King James Version doesn't use the word "homosexuality" in that verse. It uses "fornication," but not homosexuality.

Additionally, if I recall Sodom and Gomorrah were punished not for gayness but for raping angels. Angels which are sexless. Not male. They have male names, but they're not male.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Ah, this rthread, I lost track of it.

Yes, thanks for thst, I had to put the splint back on my hand, and I cnat type like thsi.

Take it off, pain, put it on, gagged.

I'll respond to this when I can type al little ibt better.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid
            Keep in mind Paul was a bit uptight and had to be reigned in more than once. One of the great frustrations in Jesus's life, it would seem, was the failure of his apostles to "get it." Am I suggesting that his word is no good? Absolutely not. I AM suggesting that he was a man, just like any man, and he is subject to his own opinions and ideas.
            I'm pretty sure Paul never met Jesus during Jesus' lifetime. We are talking about Saul, who had a vision on the road to Damascus, and thus was renamed Paul?
            The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
            my brother's

Comment

People hate what they don't understand. They're not going to try and understand it because to them being gay is unnatural. I really do believe that people just use religion as an excuse to hate. If they truly did follow the actual teachings of Jesus, when someone picked up the phone to call tech support they wouldn't start off screaming at the rep on the phone. Jesus wouldn't do that nor would he condone that. They'll use religion as an excuse to hate because learning something isn't convenient.

(Sorry, I'm talking in circles more than ever. FOOTBALL!)
              Crooked banks around the world would gladly give a loan today so if you ever miss a payment they can take your home away.

Comment

joe hx: yeah, we are. Sorry, I"m getting my stories mixed up.

guywith a shovel: Yeah, see? It would seem to me that a lot of these "religious right" people are equating "sexual peversion" with "homosexuality" and I"m saying I am not seeing too terribly much basis for that. What constitutres peversion? Is some kink okay and some isn't? Fetishes? I suppose you could make a case that the directive was to "stop fucking, period!" if you want to be literal abouit it.

Real confusing gray area, at least for me.

Yeah, I got the idea that the Sodom and Gomorrah people were busted for crossing the line into forcible rape, not for playing around with one another. But you know, staunch anti gay people loooove to trot that story out. And I think they are missing the point of it.

But again, the one thing is NOT a gray area is Christ's teaching to "Be excellent to one another." But it's a lot easier to do just about anything than do that sometimes. And I say that with no irony or sarcasm. It's true.

The priest at my church says it's a lot easier to worship Jesus as a God than it is to follow his teachings. How true that is.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeK...er_profilepage

Comment

Nice, very funny while informative.
                    Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X