Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is an 'opinion'?

Well - Boozy suggested it... go for it!
    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

What do you think it is, Slyt?

Give us something to start with, please.
    Last edited by Boozy; 05-08-2009, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I've heard it said they're like assholes

Comment

Well, Boozy, IMNSHO...

An opinion is merely the expression of what a person thinks/believes... end of story.

How well their opinion reflects 'reality' is completely irrelevant, and if someone is asked to give their opinion, then they are only expressing their thoughts or beliefs, and does not in any way construe as 'advocating' said opinion... unless they are actively (or passively ) trying to change another person's opinion or convince someone of it's validity or legitimacy.

The only way a person can be 'wrong' when expressing their opinion is if they are lying, or somehow not expressing what they really think.

Opinions, like any thought or belief, can be based on incorrect information, misjudgement, lack of information or thought, or logic, or many other issues. Those problems do not make an opinion 'wrong'... only misguided (or ridiculous )
        ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

I think an opinion is the set of facts, thoughts, and notions someone holds on a given topic. The difference between a belief and an opinion is that generally, opinions are less firmly held, and people are willing to usually at least entertain any competing opinions, and revise their own in light of new facts, or new ways of thinking. Beliefs are more firmly held, and are usually not consciously changed without very compelling evidence.
          Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Working...
          X