No announcement yet.

Chivalry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were a few times that McGee came over when I was still getting ready (this has been a batshit insane semester, and I'm constantly scatterbrained right now). I'd apologize, offer to get him something to drink, invite him to turn on the TV, whatever. And talk to him while he waited, which was never more than 5 minutes.

Seriously, who's in that big of a hurry to get somewhere?

Comment

Ok I do hold doors open for everybody, and I am always polite. Mainly because that was how I was raised. My mother would cook me over a slow fire if I wasn't a gentleman. As I was growing up, I was taught a few things.

Never ever raise your hand to a woman. Unless they are litterally trying to kill you. If you see a man raising his hand against a woman, the man should be introduced to the sidewalk very shortly after. Basically some very old fashioned values in todays world.

That being said, I want to clarify something. I absolutely love strong women, and I know that women can more then take care of themselves. I don't do the things I do because I think they are weak, but because I respect them. I will do the going around to the car door, etc..but if they say "Stop." I stop. Because that is what my parents taught me to do. When I invite anybody out, male or female, I pay. If they invite me, I don't complain if they pay. If it is a mutual thing, we both pay. I feel the person doing the inviting should pay (although I am not upset if they don't).

Yes, I like the idea of a 50/50 relationship. Built on mutual respect, trust, and friendship. I am a hopeless romantic, and I am about as 'akward' (spelling?) as a person can get. My values may be a bit outdated, but I do think the golden rules apply. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. So I will keep doing the outdated things, because it is about my respect to them. At least until they tell me "You know, I don't like you doing that." then I stop. Because I respect them enough to stop. Of course that has meant that I don't get many dates (ie none in 35 years). Because I am shy, and like to treat people nice, and am seen as 'weak' because of that. Maybe when somebody actually takes the time to get to know me, that will change. I won't change what I do however (unless asked :P).

Ok enough rambling..we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Comment

I hold doors for people, and I'm a young lady myself. I was raised to be polite and courteous to your fellow human.

However, common courtesy isn't so common anymore. How often has someone opened the door just for themselves, just to let it shut right in front of you.....or you open a door for someone and they almost seem to huff at you?

I got really mad one day after work, I saw someone with their hands full approaching the double doors, so as I walked out, I held the door open for them. What did they do?

Went out of their way to open the OTHER door....

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post

I got really mad one day after work, I saw someone with their hands full approaching the double doors, so as I walked out, I held the door open for them. What did they do?

Went out of their way to open the OTHER door....
          Not sure I could have resisted the temptation to say "you're welcome" after them. That's just over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            Not sure I could have resisted the temptation to say "you're welcome" after them. That's just over the top.
            My friend is like that when we are at the bars. We'll be gathered around the bar when some person decides instead of going around us, to just bump their way through us. When they don't say anything while jostling us, she'll yell, "Excuse me!" at them. Then they turn around and give us a look like "What the hell?"
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

There has to a be a middle ground between old fashioned gentlemanly sexism and absurd rudeness.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
                There has to a be a middle ground between old fashioned gentlemanly sexism and absurd rudeness.

Yikes. I'm actually agreening with one of your posts.

Kidding aside, this is the perfect way to sum it up. I would like to think that most people feel this way. There's no need for the crazy acts of the past (coat on a puddle, etc), but just common courtesy for any sex.

Common courtesy doesn't seem to be all that 'common' anymore, does it.

Comment

No, it certainly isn't common anymore. I honestly have never seen anybody do the coat on the puddle thing. As for those super fast walkers, yeah I don't blame you they would find themselves walking alone.

Comment

I don't think anyone in history, including Sir Walter Raleigh, has ever done the coat over the puddle thing. Why not just walk around the puddle?

If my husband threw a coat over a puddle for me, it would lose the chivalric value in that I would be the one who had to scrub the damned coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                      I don't think anyone in history, including Sir Walter Raleigh, has ever done the coat over the puddle thing. Why not just walk around the puddle?
                      I wonder where that got started? The only time I have seen it is in old movies.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it started with the tale about Walter Raleigh and Queen Elizabeth, but it seems like a folk story.

People of the time would say something like, "Sir Walter Raleigh is SO chivalrous!" And then people would respond, "How chivalrous is he?" "He is so chivalrous that he..." and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
                          People of the time would say something like, "Sir Walter Raleigh is SO chivalrous!" And then people would respond, "How chivalrous is he?" "He is so chivalrous that he...
                          knocked up one of Elizabeth's handmaidens and was sent to the Tower of London?

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                            One thing that used to trouble me was when I rode the bus to work and if an elderly psgr (male or female) would get on, and no one would get up to let him/her sit down. My mother raised me better than that. If any disabled/elderly person got on the bus, I always gave up my seat.
                            There was an elderly man I used to always see on the bus. If a passenger was new to the route they would give up their seat for him and berate you for not doing so.

After a few days you learned not to give up your seat for him.

Why because he did not and would not ever take your seat. He would sit down when a seat opened up because someone got off the bus but he would not let anyone give up their seat for them.

It still makes me smile because I am like that. I will hold open doors but I hate them being opened for me I dislike anytime someone shows me the same courtesies I show them. Yes I know I am weird like that.

I miss that guy

Oh and that coat over the puddle thing I did it once in junior high to impress a girl. Yeah didn't work so well.
                            Last edited by jackfaire; 11-12-2009, 12:11 AM.
                            Jack Faire
                            Friend
                            Father
                            Smartass

Comment

Working...
                            X