Deaf Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deaf Culture

I've seen very little discussion of Deaf culture on the boards, so I thought I'd start one up here. I studied Deaf culture and American Sign Language for a year in college; I thought I wanted to be an interpreter, but after the first year I realized it was not for me. Still, it was absolutely fascinating to learn about all of this and I do not regret taking the classes at all. I learned a lot about culture, history, language, and even anatomy of the ear.

I'm going to start with the thing that seems to rile most non-Deaf people the most:

Deaf parents want to have Deaf children.

There, I said it. Yes, you read it right. Deaf parents don't see Deafness as a handicap or a problem or something that needs to be cured. It's a culture and a way of life for them. They have their own language (be it American Sign Language or another form of sign language) and often times their own community (Deaf people tend to live near each other) and want their children to be involved in all of that. If Deaf parents have a non-Deaf child, the child will not as well understand or fit into the Deaf community as a Deaf child would.

Some of you may be wondering why I use a capital "D" when referring to Deaf people. There are really two kinds of "people who can't hear":

-deaf people, (spelled with the small "d") who don't associate with the Deaf culture much or at all. These are typically people who lost their hearing later in life, after learning to hear/speak, due to an illness or accident. They can also be children who were born naturally deaf or lost their hearing as children, but still don't associate with the Deaf community because they were raised primarily in a hearing community.

-Deaf people (spelled with the upper-case "D") who have their own culture, their own language, and their own community. It is spelled with the upper "D" just as American is spelled with an upper "A" or Canadian is spelled with an upper "C." It's to signify that they are their own culture. Typically, people consider themselves Deaf if they were born deaf or lost their hearing while children, and were raised in a Deaf community. This could be Deaf children born to Deaf parents, or it could be children who were born to hearing parents but sent to special schools specifically designed for Dead children to help immerse them in the Deaf community and meet other people like themselves.

Deaf people and deaf people don't often understand each other and don't often associate with each other very often. I'm not trying to advocate that one is better or more right than the other, simply that there are two very different ways of being "deaf."

Back to the original subject. Deaf parents want Deaf children. I understand this. I'm not sure how to make a comparison for non-Deaf people to understand better. Maybe it's like "normal" (what's the word...neuraltypical?) parents wanting a "normal" children but instead, having a child with Autism. As much as a parent of a deaf child may love the child, the parent will still never truly understand what the child is thinking or feeling or going through, because the parent can hear, and (typically) has always been able to hear, and the child can not and may not ever hear their entire lives. It's like that, except just the opposite, for Deaf parents with non-Deaf children.

I've heard a lot of outcries from non-Deaf people (including my parents) who think it's absolutely outrageous that someone would want their child to be born "disabled" or "handicapped." Why would they want to put their child through this, they ask? Why wouldn't they want their child to be born healthy and have a "normal" life?

Anyway, I'm interested in what everyone's thoughts on this are.

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
    Deaf parents want to have Deaf children....
    If Deaf parents have a non-Deaf child, the child will not as well understand or fit into the Deaf community as a Deaf child would.
    It's selfish for parents to want to deny their children a positive life experience (in this case, hearing) because of fears that they will not be able to understand it.

The majority of people who have experienced hearing and have since gone deaf would choose to hear again if they could. That is telling. Deafness doesn't have to be considered a disability, but that doesn't mean that the deaf aren't missing out on something.

I could live my whole life seeing the world in black-and-white and not knowing what colours are, and live normally. I wouldn't know that I was missing anything, so I wouldn't care. That doesn't mean that seeing colour isn't a wonderfully positive and enriching part of life.

Comment

My thoughts? Segregationist, "I'm different so I'm better than others" bullshit.

Every group who has a "defining" feature claims that anyone without that feature cannot understand them, and they're apart from others. This is no different.

My opinion? Have your culture, fine, but be inclusive about it. If a hearing child raised by deaf parents can't understand the "Deaf community," there's something seriously wrong.
      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Just to throw this out there, in response to Boozy's post:

Most people who could hear at one point in their life, and then went deaf, would want to hear again if they could, yes. On the flip side, many (not all) people who are Deaf do not want to hear. Some of them even have enough natural hearing that hearing aids and/or cochlear implants give them the ability to hear to some degree, and after experiencing it, they prefer not to use these devices.

Also, BJ: That in a nut shell is one of the main reasons I didn't continue with the interpreting program.

Comment

I hate the PC garbage about how we aren't supposed to call a serious disability that without offending someone.
          Missing the second most important of the five senses is a disability. Whine all you want about my oppressing your right to be handicapped and pretend it doesn't make any difference. But I'll stick with plain raw english.

Comment

I just find it interesting that we don't yet have a "blind Culture"-blind parents don't want blind children that I'm aware of......

Replace Deaf in the OP with White, Black, Asian, etc and see how bigoted it sounds......
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Blind people do not have their own language, which is one of the core structures of any culture or society. Deaf people do, since they can't speak English or any other spoken language.

Comment

Most people who could hear at one point in their life, and then went deaf, would want to hear again if they could, yes. On the flip side, many (not all) people who are Deaf do not want to hear. Some of them even have enough natural hearing that hearing aids and/or cochlear implants give them the ability to hear to some degree, and after experiencing it, they prefer not to use these devices.
                Part of that can also come from the fact that their brain never developed certain pathways and therefore can not interpret and filter the stimuli, so it comes through confusing and even painful

Deaf people do, since they can't speak English or any other spoken language.
                Well some can, it can be hard to understand but they can speak, it is however uncommon that they try to learn to speak.
                I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                  I just find it interesting that we don't yet have a "blind Culture"-blind parents don't want blind children that I'm aware of......

Replace Deaf in the OP with White, Black, Asian, etc and see how bigoted it sounds......
                  It's more akin to a paraplegic parent wanting a legless child.

Comment

I actually took sign language in college once too and I found it very interesting. After learning so much about Deaf culture I can agree and dis agree with the choices parents make when having a child be born with the possiblity of being deaf.

I think that the Deaf culture is something that Deaf people to take as important parts of their life, so why wouldn't they want their kids to be a part of something positive that they have experienced? it makes sense to me. if you switch it, and your a part of a golf club and you have a kid, you'd want them to be a part of it too since you enjoyed it aswell...

on the other hand there are many disadvantages to having two def parents. my cousin who is 6 has 2 def parents. he is hearing. he has had to interpret for them since forever and I feel bad that he will have to be in that position most of his life. his grandmother does come over and help out but if something were to happen where he wasn't able to ask his grandmother for help then what? he is so young and has soo much responsibility already. he also has a little brother who is two years yunger than him and he is deaf. being the only hearing person in the family is probably really hard on him. he sometimes talks to them behind their back because he forgets that they can't hear him like telling his brother to turn the music down on his video game...little things like this make me realize that there is a difference between the culture everyone knows and deaf culture. their culture is different so let them have the different culutre and let their kids enjoy it to. when a deaf child gets older, they will have the right to decide if they want to be a part of the hearing world or not. its up to them, but for now let them experience it...
                    JUST MY opinion

Comment

Originally posted by lovlybones View Post
                      it makes sense to me. if you switch it, and your a part of a golf club and you have a kid, you'd want them to be a part of it too since you enjoyed it aswell...
                      no I"d would not force my child to do something because I enjoyed it-my child is not me-he or she is their own separate person, granted I have to make some decisions-but deciding what their going to enjoy based on what I enjoy...not a chance.....

Originally posted by lovlybones View Post
                      when a deaf child gets older, they will have the right to decide if they want to be a part of the hearing world or not. its up to them, but for now let them experience it...
                      then you have this issue:

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
                      "Part of that can also come from the fact that their brain never developed certain pathways and therefore can not interpret and filter the stimuli, so it comes through confusing and even painful"
                      Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Ok I am going to put my two cents in.

I have a family member who was born deaf. She was sent to a school for the deaf. Her husband is deaf and one of her children is hearing.

She explained her fear of having a hearing child to me...

How do you help a hearing child to talk if you can not? Help them to learn to read when you can not help them sound out a word?

There is nothing wrong with Deaf culture that you wont find in any other culture. There are good people who are very outgoing and there are bitter people that because they had bad experience treat those not like them badly.

We all want children like ourselves. Why should you crucify the Deaf for wanting children like themselves, who can understand the challenge their children face, who know the hurdles and how to leap them....

She loves her children all the same... just as I would love my child if they are born deaf. But like her I could never truly understand what their world is like.

Deaf culture is a wonderful thing... just like the Jewish culture or Japanese culture... Sure there are asshats that treat outsiders like utter shit but that is in any culture. Just like in America there are a good number of people that treat anyone different from them like utter shit and less then them.

Comment

I think your family member sounds like a good mom. Of course she's worried about being unable to teach her child certain things, since she does not know them herself. I'm assuming she's got some family support.

But this is where I disagree with you:

Originally posted by Kimmik View Post
                          We all want children like ourselves.
                          I don't necessarily want my children to be like me. I want them to be better than me. I want their life experiences to be richer, their educations vaster, and their lives more fulfilling.

Perhaps this is a weak comparison, but here goes: My parents have absolutely no clue what it was like for their children to grow up in the information age. They don't understand computers, and they truly cannot comprehend the impact they have had on their children's lives. To have information at one's fingertips is revolutionary, and it's changing the way we think and live.

But just because my parents can't understand it doesn't mean they wished their children didn't use computers. They bought one for the household as soon as they could afford it, because they recognized how important those skills would be for us in the future.

I can understand the fear deaf parents would have in raising a hearing child, but the solution isn't to pray that their kids are born deaf. I stand by my original stance that it's selfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post

Well some can, it can be hard to understand but they can speak, it is however uncommon that they try to learn to speak.
                            I'm thinking of Luke from The Amazing Race. Even though most of the clues were written, he and his mum still used Ameslan (American Sign Language) for most of the race, roadblocks included (from the few episodes I saw, I remember that Luke usually did roadblocks that were more visual or athletic in nature rather than requiring sounds). Phil also used some sign language, albeit just to inform Luke of where he was (it was mostly "you are team number <whatever>"). Although I almost cried when he mentioned that a lot of deaf kids don't have signing parents.

Originally posted by Kimmik View Post
                            Ok I am going to put my two cents in.

I have a family member who was born deaf. She was sent to a school for the deaf. Her husband is deaf and one of her children is hearing.

She explained her fear of having a hearing child to me...

How do you help a hearing child to talk if you can not? Help them to learn to read when you can not help them sound out a word?

There is nothing wrong with Deaf culture that you wont find in any other culture. There are good people who are very outgoing and there are bitter people that because they had bad experience treat those not like them badly.

We all want children like ourselves. Why should you crucify the Deaf for wanting children like themselves, who can understand the challenge their children face, who know the hurdles and how to leap them....
                            There is plenty of support out there for her. I remember reading somewhere of a deaf person, who felt uncomfortable when dating guys who could hear because most of them couldn't sign (she could lipread but not speak nearly as well) and the hearing guy wouldn't feel comfortable among her deaf friends. She wound up meeting a deaf boy and they now have twins, who can hear. They're learning Auslan (australian sign language) as well as having other family members helping them speak. I think their biggest worry though was having deaf kids, rather than hearing kids.

AS for the last comment, paraplegics don't want legless babies. Blind people don't want blind kids. Depressed/anxious/schizophrenic people don't want kids that way. We aren't attempting to crucify them for it, but we shouldn't be forcefully depriving people of things in life because their parents are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post

I've seen something like that. I've seen a few stories about blind people, learning how to echo-locate and bonding through that.

Comment

Working...
                              X