There is only one path for success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is only one path for success

I am a 29 year old college dropout father of a beautiful 8 year old girl, who writes in his spare time and works a job he loves. The world would call me a failure because of this.

Why is it that only money and a big name job is the only thing considered success.

In all honesty I believe the only true success is if your happy. If your miserable doing what your doing then your not doing so good I don't care if your a CEO if your unhappy then you have not had a successful life. Yet continuously I am told how I should be striving for "more".

Is it possible I am wrong and maybe money and cars and fame are the only important things in life? What do you all think?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

One of my coworkers back when I worked at the autoshop often had his family ask him if he was ever going to get a "real job."

This guy's a damned good mechanic. I think he makes about $14 flat rate and he gets the job done right. But since he doesn't have a college degree and a fancy job, he's not, in their eyes, successful.

He does alright. He just got out of a two year marriage and has a son from that marriage. Failure? Sure, but I think he does what he can and, for the most part, is successful.

Be happy and be successful, I guess.
    The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
    my brother's

Comment

Oh damn I love this one... You should go to college...

First of all not everyone is inclined to go to college. Some because they do not want to spend more time at school or others because higher education is not for them.

If we all went to college or aimed for that bajillion dollar salary then who in bloody hell would sell you your items, fix your car, build your house, fix your drain, and the various other tasks that do not require a 4 year degree.

I have a friend that has a degree in organic chemistry and chemical engineering.. you know what he does for a living? He works in retail he found that he likes it better.

My response to those that tell me I should go back to school is simply, "If everyone went to college who would be here to sell you your items?"

Comment

I went to college. I still work in retail. I kinda like it. My Ex told me it made me a loser.

I sympathize. I don't think I'm a loser... I'm not millionaire. I don't have ALL the things I want in life. But I pay my bills. I make enough to keep my hobby. So..... I guess I'm doing alright?
        "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
        "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

You know what? To me, it's about one thing.

Are ya happy?

If you can at least tolerate your job, you're not stressed about money, and you can do enough of what you want in your spare time, you're doing well.

I took two years of University courses, ended up hating the atmosphere, and didn't think I'd enjoy the career track I'd been aiming for because of it.

So I took some time off, and worked customer service at a movie theatre, and I really loved it there. In fact, if it'd paid more, I'd probably still be there. Hell, I'd probably have made manager by now (or at least I hope I would have, considering how high up I was).

But, I needed more cash for bills sooner, so the happiness equation was thrown out of whack. Thus, I hit up college for a program, hit a path that would still have me doing stuff I liked, I get paid a little over twice what I was making, so now I have a job that I like, can pay for my bills, and still have enough to feed the DVD habit I've picked up. I'll never be rich, I'm sure, but I'm comfortable, and enjoying life. So no, a four-year university degree sure ain't the only way to be happy, which is a much better metric for success, imo.
          Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

I'm a 35 year old college dropout. I may go back someday but at this rate I'll probably be 55. However, I work at a job I enjoy with decent benefits and good hours.

I guess in the eyes of the world, I am a failure. However, I have a roof over my head, I don't go to bed hungry, and all the bills get paid. I'm also in a better place mentally and emotionally then I have been in years.

Comment

This is why I love my parents. Where I'm from, being in school until you're almost thirty, not getting married and having gets right way - those are measures of failure. When I'm back home, the people there regard me with amusement and pity, "Oh, well, you'll figure it out one day, you poor dear. When are you moving back?" I even get this from some extended family. Luckily, I only have to deal with them during Christmas.

My parents long ago told me that as long as I am happy and comfortable, with a roof over my head and food on the table, they'll support me wherever I go and whatever I do. They know I'm not meant to live in that particular corner of the world, and they know that what I'm doing takes a long time and a lot of commitment. Without them backing me up...I don't know if I could do it.

Success is what you make of it. The way I figure it, every morning that I wake up on this side of the grass is a success.

Comment

My thing is I have always been about studying humans. I love exploring humanity through our art, through traveling, through talking to people from all over.

My whole life I was told I talk to much now I get paid to talk to people all day. That is my job to talk how awesome is that?

Later today I have a visit with my daughter I am going to hug her tell her I love her and wonder how anyone could think my having her makes me a failure.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

As a rationalist atheist, I believe that ultimately nothing we do matters. It will all end up as dust in the wind.
                  Because of that, the only thing that matters is getting as much happiness in our short lives as possible. All the rest is unnecessary crap.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                    I am a 29 year old college dropout father of a beautiful 8 year old girl, who writes in his spare time and works a job he loves. The world would call me a failure because of this.
                    The world? Who is speaking for the entire world? They sure as hell aren't speaking for me!

Do what you want to do, do what makes you happy. There will always be people who judge you, look down on you, try to treat you like scum on their boots, who disapprove of what you think/believe/love/do. I limit my contact with those people as much as possible.
                    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

"Great men do not conquer others. Great men conquer themselves." - unknown

"Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope." - ancient Greek proverb

Flyndaran: I disagree. Our actions, our words can affect others for good or ill. Our influence can outlast our flesh.
                      Customer: I need an Apache.
                      Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

Originally posted by Talon View Post
                        Flyndaran: I disagree. Our actions, our words can affect others for good or ill. Our influence can outlast our flesh.
                        For years, maybe even millenia if famous. But on geological scale all we do will come to naught. On the scale of eternity, it will all end in the heat death of the universe. There is an end to everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
                          But on geological scale all we do will come to naught. On the scale of eternity, it will all end in the heat death of the universe. There is an end to everything.
                          Yes, but considering that it will come many, many, many generations into the future, our words and actions have impact and points on what I like to call a "relevant" measure of time. As in "not talking about the entire span of the space-time continuum." So though everything eventually ends, it'd be nice to not increase the relative amount of misery in the world by being a dick, and maybe even be remembered (or at least have done actions that would be viewed) in a positive light.
                          Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post

Why is it that only money and a big name job is the only thing considered success.
                            Don't worry about that. It's only considered success by people who don't matter.

And if that is the only thing that means success to them....well....they aren't very successful, are they.

Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
                            I went to college. I still work in retail. I kinda like it. My Ex told me it made me a loser.
                            I dropped out of college and eventually got a very nice professional career. And then got laid off. And it rocks. College, no college, job, no job. Life is what you make of it. And that fact that your ex is now your ex kind of makes you a winner. He sounds like a wad.
                            Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 11-02-2009, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                              <snip> And that fact that your ex is now your ex kind of makes you a winner. He sounds like a wad.
                              Thanks for the LOL.

Yea, he started out as a nice guy... certain life situations change people and I'll leave it at that.

I have a nice boyfriend now who doesn't judge me by my paycheck.
                              "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                              "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Working...
                              X