Here's A Good One...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's A Good One...

I avoided posting this on CS because of core content, but it was meant to go along with my recent off topic thread regarding the increasing amount of crime in my area.

So here goes....

In this part of Wisconsin, we have a LOT of Hmong refugees from Laos that have been coming here since the 80s. With the exception of a few gangs and gang activities in the past and some of their own crimes they commit against each other (I mean, I really cannot believe how violent some of them can be towards their own friends and family!) it wasn't eye-poppingly odd until recently, when this happened.

Early this week, a gas station clerk saw a young Hmong man walking barefoot in the store......with chains around his ankles! As time passed, the clerk realized that this man was developmentally disabled......so the clerk phoned the police.

Investigation began.....the parents were found......and what they found was just astounding.

The parents of this special needs man constantly CHAIN him up so that he cannot go anywhere.....and when the cops searched the house....they found a pole in the basement that they admitted to constanty chaining him up to it!

This couple is currently free on $500 bond. That's right, $500. And they are going to fight this, saying that in their country, it's ok to do that.....

Um, hello, this is America assholes.....that is so fucking sick and wrong!

I don't mean to come across as preachy but this kind of thing isn't new to either the Hmong or even our own people. People were embarassed by their "challenged" kin so them kept them locked up when non family was around. Look at what Joe Kennedy did to his oldest daughter. She was slow to learn and he was embarassed by her so he went behind Rose's back and had her lobotimized and it didn't have the desired effects so they institutionialized her with I think if far more cruel.
    While I don't agree with what the boy's parents were doing at least they were seeing that he was being taken care of.
    Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      This couple is currently free on $500 bond. That's right, $500. And they are going to fight this, saying that in their country, it's ok to do that.....
      Keep in mind, a bond generally represents 10% of bail, so $5,000 bail, and bail is not meant to be punitive, but simply secure appearance at court, so for a non-violent (I'm assuming they only chained him, not beat him?), low-risk-of-flight offender, they wouldn't put too high a bail.
      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Still, does that area's judges normally let kidnapper/torturers out on low bail?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
          Still, does that area's judges normally let kidnapper/torturers out on low bail?
          Since there was no mention of either kidnap OR torture (their own child, merely chained up), I don't think that's a fair question. Legally, likely it'd be unlawful imprisonment, or some such. Sensationalism does the legal system no favours, Flyn.
          Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post
            Since there was no mention of either kidnap OR torture (their own child, merely chained up), I don't think that's a fair question. Legally, likely it'd be unlawful imprisonment, or some such. Sensationalism does the legal system no favours, Flyn.
            "Young man" suggest adult, and holding an adult against their will is kidnapping. Tethering a person to a pole is certainly abuse, if not rising to the level of torture.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
              "Young man" suggest adult, and holding an adult against their will is kidnapping.
              You apparently missed the phrase "special needs." That's a euphemism for mentally handicapped, which means his mental age was not in line with his physical age.

Barring that, no, kidnapping is NOT "holding an adult against their will." Kidnapping requires actual abduction and removal from a place. If there is no removal and transport, it's unlawful imprisonment.

Under the Model Penal Code (a set of exemplary criminal rules fashioned by the American Law Institute), kidnapping occurs when any person is unlawfully and nonconsensually asported and held for certain purposes. These purposes include gaining a ransom or reward; facilitating the commission of a felony or a flight after the commission of a felony; terrorizing or inflicting bodily injury on the victim or a third person; and interfering with a governmental or political function (Model Penal Code ยง 212.1).

Comment

Linky

Please let me know if this is not the right story. But you have to look at where the parents come from and their education level and such. I am not saying that it is right but with Cultural differences you do have to take that into account. Hell with my disorders I have lost friends simpley because of the stigma that still persists. Or having people think they have to talk down to me cause "Im Special"

It was not to long ago that we locked away the mentally ill, there were states that sterilized them, and it was a dirty secret that you didnt talk about. Hell when I was in grade school "those" kids were not allowed in normal classes.

What they did to their son in most countries is horrific... but maybe this will awaken the population that we need to reach out to our immigrants and help them better to intergrate and get them the help they need.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmik View Post
                  It was not to long ago that we locked away the mentally ill, there were states that sterilized them, and it was a dirty secret that you didnt talk about. Hell when I was in grade school "those" kids were not allowed in normal classes.
                  Pennsylvania was one of those states--most of their "challenged" children were sent to places like Pennhurst. People didn't go there to get better--in many cases, their conditions got worse In fact, some of the things that went on...would be considered torture now. Things such, as ripping out patients' teeth, isolating them in tiny cells, etc. Most of the things that went on, were kept hidden until a 1968 report blew things open. All through the 1970s, stories came out about the abuse, including a 1982 lawsuit over conditions...which eventually forced Pennhurst's closure by '86.

Comment

I think the key point to realize here is WHY they're fighting it, same problem I've seen in the haggling guy from (insert country here), the house with 12 people in a 2 bedroom house which was rented to a nice young couple, the guy who fights the hate crime beating by saying the person was (insert hated minority here)... it's the whole problem of them seeming to forget they're in America not (country of origin.)

and yes that was what a couple Slavic Baptist members who beat to death a gay man were trying to use... literally in Russia it's ok.

well it's no Laos or Russia so no it's NOT ok.

And some of us try to help, but it seems like since at least the 80's they don't WANT to integrate, their kids can do that.
                    Last edited by bunnyboy; 11-10-2009, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X