How Have Your Views Changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Have Your Views Changed?

Something fairly monumental just happened for me here on Fratching. I was responding to a death penalty thread (specifically, I made this post), and in so doing changed my position.

I was at least okay with the death penalty before I made that post. Now, though, I've realized that, in allowing the death penalty, I am trusting the government to get that one thing right (that they found, tried, and convicted the guilty party), when I trust them with absolutely nothing else.

When it comes to dealing with the government, I absolutely expect things will go wrong, and usually very badly. Yet, here I am trusting one thing to be done right, and it's more critical than most anything else they do. But they can't possibly be trusted to get things right.

My mind has changed. I can't argue for the death penalty any more, not even in extreme cases. How do I know the government did its job properly?

So, what has Fratching changed for you? What views did you hold that are now changed thanks to the community here?

Gun control and the right to deny a cop permission to search you and your possessions. Those are easily the two biggest things that have changed for me from these boards.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I suppose I have come around to some extent on gun control issues, but I was sort of on the fence with that to begin with. I used to approve of very strict gun control. Now I'm a bit more easy-going about it.

Interestingly, my opinion has not been changed by those arguing against gun control. Instead, when I looked closely at the arguments for gun control, I found them weak. Most of them talk about crime statistics, which are incredibly misleading and involve far too many factors. I've discovered that the issue of gun control and crime is so convoluted that I can't justify limiting personal freedom based on shaky data.

Comment

I've become alot more open minded on various topics, just by reading the different threads.

One example is criminals rights. While I don't think they should be coddled, I don't believe they should be tortured and abused like many instances I've read about on here.

Now, don't get me wrong...I'm far from a liberal. I know, try not to be shocked. And I'll admit that some of the views on here still make my jaw drop. But I'm a big enough person to recognize when my pre-conceived views have been flawed or even flat out wrong, and the above is just one example.

So thanks, guys.

Comment

I was pro-circumcision. Now I'm against it being performed on children without their consent.

Comment

Oh yes, circumcision! That's another one that I've probably turned around on.

I still don't think it's a real big deal, but I've already decided that if I ever have a son, he will not be circumcised.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
              Oh yes, circumcision! That's another one that I've probably turned around on.

I still don't think it's a real big deal, but I've already decided that if I ever have a son, he will not be circumcised.
              Hmmmm - is there an old thread about this? I don't remember reading about that on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                Hmmmm - is there an old thread about this? I don't remember reading about that on here.
                I'll return more in a little bit, but that one... get ready for a long read if you go for it. Here it is, the 16 page thread about it.

Comment

I can't say that my views have changed at all. I'm really quite stubborn though...
                  Crooked banks around the world would gladly give a loan today so if you ever miss a payment they can take your home away.

Comment

I'm honestly not sure much has changed about my views. Nothing I can think of off the top of my head. Except maybe the issue of health care workers and the swine flu vaccine. I ended up changing my mind and deciding they should. But part of that was talking to people I know at home, not just on here.

This site certainly gives me a lot to think about on a daily basis, though. If anything, I always find it interesting to hear the opposite view point. Sometimes it may temper my position, even if it doesn't completely change it.
                    "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                    "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

I've certainly reviewed my opinions on some things and amended them. Most of my basic tenets are the same, but from having heard some peoples' views I've made adjustments.

I'd also like to point out that though I may have opposing views to quite a number of people on many aspects, I've got huge respect for people who can keep up a decent argument for their side and keep it coherent.

Rapscallion
                      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
                      X