Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does a joke go too far?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...e-anymore.html

We've all told blonde jokes before; if someone is offended by someone telling a blonde joke, do they have a right to be or should they just put up or shut up? Especially, consider, if the joke isn't personal; it's just an generic blonde joke.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

If the joke is directly being used to be sexist/racist/etc., then yea, there's reason to get offended by it. But jokes told for the sake of being funny, either it's funny and laugh or it's not funny and don't laugh. Don't cry me a river over a joke just because you didn't find it funny.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

*nods sagely* You have to be careful though if your too offensive you may piss off Creedy, Sutler, or both
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

In the situation that occurred in the link provided, though, it was about more than the jokes.

It was the spirit in which they were told.

The man is even quoted as saying, "So I called her dumb, blonde and decorative? That's not an insult."

It's one thing to share a laugh with somebody over an occasional dumb blonde joke, but when the person to whom they are being directed on a daily basis is actually blonde, they cease to be funny.

What if the woman was of a certain ethnic group and the boss told racist jokes every day?

I do think society has become a bit touchy over all and people do tend to take themselves a little seriously.

I think people need to learn to laugh at themselves a bit more.

I'm short and I'm fat. I hear all the short jokes, and all the fat jokes.

Depending on how I am feeling that day, or who is telling the joke, my reaction varies.
        Usually, I laugh if the joke is actually funny. (If it's a corny, tired joke, but isn't being offered in a mean-spirited way, I usually just smile.)

It's no secret how I feel about my religion, but I laughed my butt off when someone asked me why Jesus didn't eat Skittles. (They fall through the holes in his hands.)
        Now, some people might get positively rabid if they were told that same joke.
        Personally, I like to think God has a sense of humour.

It all goes back to the freedom to swing a fist ending at a neighbour's face.
        Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
          Personally, I like to think God has a sense of humour.
          Of course He does. How else would one explain the giraffe? Or the duck-billed platypus?...Or us, for that matter?
          Last edited by EricKei; 11-21-2009, 07:10 PM. Reason: it helps if I type what I mean to say
          "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
          "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

If God exists, then he's laughing his arse off at humankind, the biggest joke of all.

I'm a natural blonde, and I tell blonde jokes. I like to top jokes rather than get offended; it works a lot better. Replying with a better joke is a lot better than getting your knickers in a knot cuz of someone else's sense of humour.
            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

From what little that article says, he wasn't telling jokes, he was being deliberately offensive. He's in a position of power, and felt the need to try and ridicule and demean her...

Jokes for the purpose of eliciting mirth from the audience is one thing - insults designed to get a rise out of someone is something completely different!
              ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

I agree. When it comes to jokes, it all depends on the context in which they are being used.

If someone is purposely trying to be a bully, but hiding behind the facade of telling a joke, then they've gone too far, and need to be called out. Blanket banning on jokes, or the current trend of having to be too PC for fear of OMG offending someone just sucks, though.

Like the article stated, I'd rather live in a world where someone occasionally takes it too far, than in a world without jokes.

I like that Jesus and Skittles joke, Ree. That's cute.
                "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

At work no one gets too PC (thank god) I know because I keep a Buddha on my desk and no one says boo.
                  Jack Faire
                  Friend
                  Father
                  Smartass

Comment

I've heard just about every blonde joke there is.

I'm fairly easy going, I get that some people think it's just the funniest thing ever to point out to me that I'm a blonde (like I didn't know that before).....but opening up a conversation with me with a blonde joke is bound to get you some pretty dirty looks or a big pointy heel up your butt.

Comment

"Why are blonde jokes so short?"

"So Brunettes can remember them."
                      Help a friend!

Comment

I've known a number of very intelligent blondes.

I've known very few intelligent bottle blondes.

I think that's the key difference.

On a related tangent, nothing really wears on me quite as fast as West Virginia jokes. Mainly because a lot of the people who spread them seem to honestly believe they're a good description of the whole state. And while yes, there's an element of truth in it all (the coalfields counties, Chesapeake), they generally only apply to places most West Virginians try to avoid, too.
                        "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                        TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
                          On a related tangent, nothing really wears on me quite as fast as West Virginia jokes.
                          OH dear god they actually have jokes about that state? I know it's a state but I guarantee you that I could find at least 10 people that if I said the words West Virginia they would ask what part of Virginia is that in.

Not kidding people are stupid about geography
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

I find most blonde jokes, and even a lot of racist jokes, are "stupid people" jokes. That is, it's making fun of stupidity, and you can interchange the race and it's still funny.

i.e. Why did the <stupid person> not make it to the airport? Because <stupid person> saw a sign that said "Airport Left"
                            The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
                            my brother's

Comment

In Oz, we had a very long running TV show called "Hey Hey, it's Saturday" (see the thread on 'Was the act racist'!).

They 'invented' a group of people - the Muddlepuddlians (iirc) - so, no matter the joke, they just inserted their new group, and bingo! Also, I think they invented a certain person they could joke about as well - no real description (just happened to be female), but useful for the same reasons.

Smart move, really!

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul
                              On a related tangent, nothing really wears on me quite as fast as West Virginia jokes.
                              Which part of Virginia is that in?
                              ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X