Does it really count as selfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/e thumbsup

I wish more parents were like you, Jack. Sadly the good ones don't get noticed, it's the ones who let their kids scream down the restaurant, and make all manner of stupid demands who people remember. Maybe more good parents need to start chewing out the selfish and rude ones, they're make you good parents look bad.

Comment

"/e thumbsup "

Ditto!
      ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Sadly it isn't fair to the kids to slam their parents in front of them.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

It is, actually. The kids see that their parents do thing X, other adults do thing Y, and they don't understand.

It's better for the kids to learn whether thing X or thing Y is the socially acceptable, correct thing to do. And since their parents won't teach them, it's up to "the village" to do so.

Go ahead and chew out bad parents.

Comment

You go, Seshat. I don't mean just in public, even online. I have seen parents online demanding the most rediculous entitlements because of the fact they have kids. Perhaps more parents need to stand up to them there too, and say "Hold up a minute! I've got kids too, and I don't think I am owed whatever, or it doesn't give me an excuse to break the rules! What kind of example are you setting for your kids?"

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat View Post
              It is, actually. The kids see that their parents do thing X, other adults do thing Y, and they don't understand.
              All they see is that some adult started a fight with their mom or dad. They don't think oh apparently mom or dad was wrong in letting me keep screaming my head off.
              Last edited by Boozy; 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM. Reason: quote tags
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Then there’s people who think you have to have as many children as “God” is willing to give you but never do anything with them. Thanks, but no, I don’t want my kids to go through the hell I went through growing up. Poor as hell and learning opportunistic eating habits due to lack of food in the house at times. That alone took me years to unlearn.

So Hubbie and I are staying at 2. We know we can afford to give them a good life and are willing to put in the time to bring them up right. They still may not get everything they want, but there will always be cloths on their backs that fit, food on the table, a roof over their heads with out threats of eviction due to lack of “cleanliness“ and parents who actully pay attention.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                  All they see is that some adult started a fight with their mom or dad. They don't think oh apparently mom or dad was wrong in letting me keep screaming my head off.
                  It depends on their age, I guess. The kids', not the parents'.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat View Post
                    It depends on their age, I guess. The kids', not the parents'.
                    That and kids attitude.

Young kids all they see is someone attacking mom or dad.

Older kids are either embarrased by their parents behavior and trying to stop it themselves or don't care and will see you attacking their parents.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

Working...
                    X