Logical fallacies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logical fallacies

I was reading an article in a paper today. To paraphrase the person interviewed for an article said that electronic means, telephone, email, instant message are cheap and insufficent ways of saying thanks because they are common.

The logic here boggles my mind because at one time weren't thank you cards common. Wouldn't by that logic they be cheap and insufficient.

I don't understand people using logic like this in arguments.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Teleophone calls are related to instant messages: both are quick, easy ways of saying an informal "thank you". When it comes to FORMAL thank-yous for, say, wedding gifts, graduation gifts, Christmas presents mailed to you, etc., it used to be that the cheap way was a standardized, printed card. Yes, these have always been common, but whether or not they were appropriate was and is determined by the situation, and for formal thank-yous they're quite inappropriate, and in some cases (depending partly on the age of the person being thanked) they may be seen as rude/uncaring/thoughtless. A handwritten, individual card showed personal care, and still does; rather than "Thank all 22 of you for your gifts, signed Joe", you've said "Thank you, Tamara, for the lovely coat. It's beautiful and I needed a good winter jacket"

These days, email allows us to do the same thing as printed cards, but moreso: no individual attention necessary. For formal thank-yous, a handwritten card noting what was given and with the individual's name, sent by mail, tells the person you are truly thankful - you took time and effort to thank them.

So, as to the article, things must be determined by situation. Many thank-yous are fine with a printed card, an email, a phone call. Some are really not. It depends entirely on the situation.

Comment

I always thank people individually. I actually feel someone thanking me in person, via email, or IM is more meaningful then them writing me a letter thanking me.

I know that may not make sense to other people but here is my thought behind that. If you thank me then and there or soon after through an easy access method your reaction is more genuine than if you write me a letter that you have had time to work up some smoke to blow up my ass.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Working...
      X