Not on facebook? You don't exist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not on facebook? You don't exist.

Recently I talked about how my coworkers don't tend to involve me and as I have been trying to be more social I seem to have noticed something that had caught my attention before but never thought much of it.

While at work my coworkers don't discuss much past work. About customers they have had and solutions they have found etc. When I was younger being social at work meant talking about outside work stuff.

These days it seems unless your listed on your coworker's latest myface page then you do not exist and are not privy to the normal social interaction.

Anyone else noticing this?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I've never noticed that. Maybe it's more of a twentysomething thing. Most of my friends are in their 30's and 40's.

We use Facebook to share pictures and sometimes plan a party, but for the most part social interaction is done on the phone and in person.

Comment

Was mostly talking work but yeah notice it with my friends too. Damn near impossible to get them to all agree on a time to hang out.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

I've actually really noticed that Jack. And it's part of the reason I finally bowed to the pressure and set one up. If you're in the twenty something set, you pretty much don't exist if you don't have a social networking page.

no one sends out announcements, calls, or even e-mails or IMs anymore. they just update their fucking facebook page. Seriously.

*shrug* I caved.

It's odd. We're more "connected" now than ever before...and yet, I feel so detached from everyone.

It kinda depresses me.
        "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
        "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
          It kinda depresses me.
          Me too. I haven't been to a party in a long time because no one says anything except as a post in their, "My current status/mood" so I see the information about some party that happened days earlier.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Every time I plan a party, I put the event on Facebook. To be perfectly blunt, it's a pain in the ass to then copy all that information to an e-mail and then send it to the 5 people who refuse to get a Facebook for whatever reason. Facebook is an extremely convenient way to keep in touch with friends, and just because all my local friends and I talk on Facebook a lot doesn't mean we don't meet up in person all the time. In fact, most of our get-togethers are planned via Facebook.

And I don't know what I would have done over the break without Facebook chat as a way to talk to H. (Using my parents' PC that doesn't have Messenger, and neither of us can afford a lot of long distance calling).
            Last edited by AdminAssistant; 01-06-2010, 04:01 PM. Reason: Adding stuff

Comment

I find facebook incredibly boring. I used to use it to keep in touch with my friend who moved across the country, but it's become like twitter (no, I don't use twitter, but from what I hear about it, it sounds too similar to my experience with facebook).

Then again, I'm not much of a social person, and I don't like feeling obligated to keep up with everyone's personal life.

Comment

I find I'm more connected with people through facebook. It's pretty much the only social networking site I use, I have a Twitter account, but I find it boring, and I'm too wordy for it :P .

I'm an internet junkie, well not to the extreme, but I'm on the computer a lot. Given I am going into Graphic design and it comes with the job. I could live without my TV, and my cell phone before I could live without internet. Which isn't to say it's the most important thing in the world, but it's fairly crucial to my chosen career path.

I love Facebook, and MSN. I keep in touch with many of my classmates that way (mainly facebook), and we share info on assignments and such. That being said I'm not going to act like someone doesn't exist because they don't have facebook, if I know they don't and I need to get ahold of them I call or e-mail. Admittedly though the moment Facebook becomes another Myspace with templates for pages and such, I'll leave. I hated Myspace for that, it was just awful.

Comment

I don't want to use Facebook. To me, there's something stupid about having a page dedicated to "nothing but Meeeeeeeeee!~1!" outside of a blog or twitter. I have Twitter and that's fine.

Comment

I'm in that crowd of "20 somethings" and deleted my facebook. It was becoming too much trouble and involved too much drama.

It wasn't like I was talking to a real human being. I would try calling friends who got mad I didn't just use facebook. I tried to set up days to hang out or go on trips but because it wasn't listed on facebook it wasn't "official".

I started to question who really was my friend and who wasn't but just wanted me for another number on their pages.

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying my Facebook page, and I've started networking with people I wouldn't normally get a chance to talk to.

What I'm finding out, in a way, is who my friends are and aren't. There are people I was close with at one time who I purposely sought out...who accepted my friend request, but otherwise seem to ignore me. People I never expected would give a shit talk to me far more than the people I *thought* I could still call friend. Some of them don't even respond to the "Hey how are you" messages I dropped them.

Social networking is fantastic, depressing and sometimes weird all at the same time.
                      "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                      "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

I first read about social networking websites in a sci fi book I read before the existence of WWW.
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

93% of all communication between two people is non-verbal. Hence the problem with being so "connected". Also, Facebook is the devil. Was dragged onto it by family. I try to ignore its existence for the most part. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                            I try to ignore its existence for the most part. -.-
                            Like the devil
                            Jack Faire
                            Friend
                            Father
                            Smartass

Comment

I have a Myspace, Facebook and twitter accounts. I only use Facebook the most. When I need to update the status on all three, I use tweet deck. I enjoy networking with other paranormal groups, that I would normally would not be able too

Comment

Working...
                              X