Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breast not best?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...sts-claim.html

If this becomes widely known, perhaps it will stop the breast milk nazis from ruthlessly attacking any poor woman who dares to formula feed her child. Some women can't physically breast feed, or perhaps they need to share the feeding chores with a partner. I and my brothers were all raised on formula and there is nothing wrong with either our health or intelligence. I believe that whatever you choose, it's your own choice and as long as the baby is happy and healthy, it's none of anyone else's bloody business.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

I hate to break it to you, but it takes more than one study to prove that something is true...
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Greenday I agree. He does make a good point though about parents who are militant that other parents must use the exact same methods to raise their kids.

My daughter's grandmother and I agree that play dates are stupid and just let my daughter go play with her friends rather than turning it into an ordeal.

Many new parenting techniques have militant parents insisting other parents do the same.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        I hate to break it to you, but it takes more than one study to prove that something is true...
        I hate to break it to you, but you didn't bother to read my post. Please do so before replying.

Jackfaire is right on my point; sadly, a lot of pressure is put on mothers to breastfeed and those who can't are made to feel guilty. It shouldn't be like that at all; support should be given regardless of choice.

Comment

I'm just saying, since one study doesn't prove anything, it's not likely to change anyone's minds.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
            I hate to break it to you, but you didn't bother to read my post. Please do so before replying.

Jackfaire is right on my point; sadly, a lot of pressure is put on mothers to breastfeed and those who can't are made to feel guilty. It shouldn't be like that at all; support should be given regardless of choice.
            I know my local hospital does encourage breastfeeding, but will still support those who choose to bottlefeed. They'll provide bottles and that to make formula, but if you want to use another form of formula, you need to provide your own.

In public however, is another matter....

Comment

When my former coworker Mary was pregnant, her doctor actually took the time to explain how much of a committment that breastfeeding is, and that some babies will actually refuse to nurse from the breast, it's a chance you have to take if you're Hell-bent on it.

She chose not to breastfeed, and her doctor was really supportive. But the thing is, if you choose not to, you have to stick to it.

Comment

sadly, a lot of pressure is put on mothers
                No matter what you do as a parent everyone will have an opinion on what you are doing, it will ALWAYS be wrong to someone...one of the biggest reasons I don't have kids is because Im scared I will slap the person who gives me advice once to often.
                I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                  No matter what you do as a parent everyone will have an opinion on what you are doing, it will ALWAYS be wrong to someone...one of the biggest reasons I don't have kids is because Im scared I will slap the person who gives me advice once to often.
                  Wear a thick leather glove, then burn the glove.

No fingerprints. No glove to tie you to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                    Do it anyway and claim hormones. XD

But anyway, someone I know couldn't breastfeed her baby; she just wasn't producing enough milk. Cuz of this, she was made to feel as tho she was doing something terrible by feeding her baby formula; almost akin to child abuse. Said baby is now eight years old, healthy and perfectly well. Mothers shouldn't be put thru that kind of thing if they won't or can't breastfeed.

Comment

My sis tried to breastfeed, but wasn't making enough milk and got tired of pumping every spare minute of every day. So, she eventually switched to formula....and has a healthy, happy, hyperactive 4 year old boy.

I don't know why some mothers feel the need to belittle the choices and parenting styles of others...they must have some really low self esteem to overcome.

Comment

If I ever reproduce (unlikely) I will not in a million years breastfeed.

And anyone that doesn't like it can stick it.

Comment

Breastfeeding grosses me right out..The thought of something sucking food out of my body is just too disgusting to contemplate. So if I ever wanted a kid, I would not breastfeed.
                          I hate to think what would happen if I said anything in my local Pagan community to that effect. I am already on some shitlists for wearing clothing that isn't caucasian, and for being an urban animist. Saying that breastfeeding would NOT be for me would probably get me the Pagan version of excommunicated.

Comment

The hospital where I had Khan is VERY big on breastfeeding. I had already chosen to breast feed, but if I hadn't I don't know that the nurses would have been as friendly and helpful, to be honest.

I like doing it, but it is a huge time commitment, so if I were not staying home I would not be able to do it. We actually supplement Khan with formula ( the only way he will sleep through the night). I was a formula baby incidentally, being adopted and all.

There's nothing wrong with either choice so people need to lay off.

Comment

why?

Breastfeeding and Guilt
                              Written by Jack Newman, MD,

It is, in fact, nothing more than a ploy. It is an argument that deflects attention from the lack of knowledge and understanding of too many health professionals about breastfeeding. This allows them not to feel guilty for their ignorance of how to help women overcome difficulties with breastfeeding, which could have been overcome and usually could have been prevented in the first place if mothers were not so undermined in their attempts to breastfeed. This argument also seems to allow formula companies and health professionals to pass out formula company literature and free samples of formula to pregnant women and new mothers without pangs of guilt, despite the fact that it has been well demonstrated that this literature and the free samples decrease the rate and duration of breastfeeding.

Let's look at real life. If a pregnant woman went to her physician and admitted she smoked a pack of cigarettes, is there not a strong chance that she would leave the office feeling guilty for endangering her developing baby? If she admitted to drinking a couple of beers every so often, is there not a strong chance that she would leave the office feeling guilty?

Some women can't physically breast feed
                              1 to 3%

I believe that whatever you choose, it's your own choice and as long as the baby is happy and healthy, it's none of anyone else's bloody business.
                              not when you're forcing that choice onto another human-that can't make the decision for themselves.
                              The studies in the US that "prove" artificial infant milk is "safe" are all done by the manufacturers, who would stand to lose a ton of money if they came out and said their product wasn't safe-I highly suggest the books the politics of breastfeeding or milk, money, and madness.

Or some articles on the health effects of feeding artificial infant milk.

They used to feed babies flour mixed with water also known as "pap" or "bringing up by hand" some of them lived and were "fine" so I guess that's an ok choice too....heck as long as the kids happy and healthy right? In the 1700's there was an infant in germany(foundling) raised on beer-he was happy and healthy....hey why not just give the kid milk straight from the cow-the kidney problems won't show up until way later in life so the baby will be happy and healthy....
                              Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-08-2010, 12:14 AM.
                              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Working...
                              X