TV and Movie violence is good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV and Movie violence is good

When I was a kid I read book after book of both recommended reading and other books that had violence in them. Battles and bloodshed.

These days you show the same things on TV or in a movie and people rush to decry them as bad.

The reason I disagree is simple. To 8 year old me reading a book battle was awesome and War is the answer.

To 12 year old me I was shown a movie where people died. It suddenly didn't seem so cool. Now instead of my meager imagination I could actually see what dying was.

In my imagination people die and then fade away. No messy bloody pain or anything. Movies and TV shows made me value human life in a way that no book had ever done. It put a face to all of those "cool" battles I read about.

Rather than desensitizing me to violence they sensitized me and showed me the true cost of violence.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I'd agree with this. When you're reading about it, your imagination paints the picture for you. You control what you "see" and what you don't. When you do see it though, it's kind of a wake up call.

When it's an inanimate object getting blown up, shot, or crashed into, we cheer. When it's a person or an animal, we cringe and look away. Unless, of course, it's the bad guy. Then we cheer some more.

CH
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
      Unless, of course, it's the bad guy. Then we cheer some more.

CH
      Unless of course it is real life... we groan as we realize we all just witnessed a "crime" that will require us to be witnesses in a lengthy court case
      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I cringed when the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges got their center spans shot out in "I am Legend", but I'm an urban animist and bridge lover, so I guess that explains it. It's funny- I can watch a movie like "Kill Bill" with its bloody swordfights and it doesn't do that much to me. But I can't watch a helpless victim being tortured, I just don't have the stomach for it.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
          Unless of course it is real life... we groan as we realize we all just witnessed a "crime" that will require us to be witnesses in a lengthy court case
          Or, if you're among a select few, you feel joy at the chance to put those hard-earned quick draw and double tap skills to use

On topic: Maybe it's just me, but violence was always contextual. In whatever form, the idea of someone machinegunning a nursery full of infants and nurses is seriously fucked up. Fighting to protect peoples' lives was great. *shrug*
          All units: IRENE
          HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

I still believe that, Sir Integra!

Comment

Originally posted by Fryk View Post
              I still believe that, Sir Integra!
              Eek! I've been found out!

Also, a tip of the hat *tips hat* to you, have some internets
              All units: IRENE
              HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

Mmmmm... internets is delicious!

Comment

I figure that the glorification of violence is worse than just violence. However, if it's a war movie, the thing shouldn't be filled with bunnies, rainbows, and sunshine....because that would be stupid.

(Personally I avoid violent movies, but that's just me.)

Comment

I think it really depends on how the violence is depicted. I got the "war is bad" thing from a book, because it described in some detail all the terrible things that happen to people. Movies that show what actually happens, not some puppies-and-rainbows violence probably are even more effective.

Comment

Working...
                    X