Was this tacky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this tacky?

I can't decide if I'm being selfish here, or if the other person is.

My husband and I had a very, very small and quiet wedding when we got married. We didn't want a big party or ceremony, so we asked a justice of the peace to marry us at his precinct and we invited one friend, B, along to be witness and take some pics.

After the ceremony itself, the three of us went out to lunch, and we were joined by another friend of ours, T. T didn't even know that we were getting married. She had called us the night before and let us know she was going to be in town for the afternoon and asked if we were free to go to lunch. When we all got to the restaurant, we told T that we had gotten married and she was ecstatic for us. She bought lunch for both my husband and I, and of course her own bill.

I sort of feel like B was being a little stingy. He didn't offer to pay anything extra besides his own meal, not even part of the tip. We didn't make a big deal out of the wedding, but that doesn't mean the day wasn't at all special. Before T offered to take our check, my husband had his credit card out to pay for it. The place we ate at was not overly expensive (I think lunch is around $10 each there, so not the cheapest place around, but certainly not the most expensive, and it's a buffet so it's all you can eat) and B is well enough off that it's not like he couldn't afford it. He goes out to lunch practically every day of the week, including weekends, is usually bugging my husband and I to go out to dinner and a movie with him (which he'll go to regardless of whether we want to go with him) and has very little, if any, debt. He makes more than T does, too.

I feel kind of selfish myself for thinking he should have contributed more, since we didn't ask for anything and didn't have a big ceremony. At the same time, I think it was kind of selfish of B to not even offer part of the tip. I honestly don't know if or how he tips when he goes out to eat. I have only ever gone out with him a couple of times, and we always get separate checks and pay with credit cards, so I've never seen what kind of a tip he normally leaves, if any.

Not contributing his share of the tip is dick. There's just no excuse for that unless you literally don't have enough money, in which case you just get the tip the next time. If you were really looking for him to pay part of your meals because you just got married...I think you are asking for something you don't deserve. You get people wedding gifts because they spent a ton of money on the wedding you are at and it's a way to pay them back. I don't really see why he should be obliged to offer anything up for this. Sorry.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Firstly CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now to answer your questions -
      He should have covered his part of the tip, that is a given!

You do not however get to dictate or expect for someone to buy you something just because you get married. It doesn't matter how many times he dines out that is his money and he gets to decide how to spend it.
      It is a social norm to give someone a gift (in whatever shape or form that comes) when you marry but a gift should be given freely and not expected.

Don't worry about it, just have lots and lots of fun with your new partner!
      I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Congrats!

As to the tip, well, had it been in *my* family...I'm sure someone would have said to B, "Open your wallet and tip, you cheap bastard"

Comment

How many times have you bought him a meal? You can't expect something you don't offer yourself. Besides he might not even think it was a big deal to you since you took so much effort to keep it from being a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by elsporko View Post
            How many times have you bought him a meal? You can't expect something you don't offer yourself.
            "Bought?" None. However, he comes over to our place every weekend and gets lunch for free. Not just chips and dip, either. I make full-blown meals when our friends come over, and we never charge them.

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieTheCat View Post
              My husband and I had a very, very small and quiet wedding when we got married. We didn't want a big party or ceremony, so we asked a justice of the peace to marry us at his precinct and we invited one friend, B, along to be witness and take some pics.
              Traditionally, the bride and groom (or their parents) will pay for their own wedding celebration, including dinner for their guests.

You only had one guest at your wedding, but he was asked to be your witness and take pictures for you. He obliged.

I hate to say it, but if anything, you should have picked up HIS share of the bill.

It shouldn't be a big deal either way. Just be aware that if you're thinking he's stingy, he may be thinking the same of you.

On a personal note --congratulations on the wedding.

Comment

Is there any indication that he's in financial duress?

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I was thinking, Maggie, that usually when you attend a wedding (large or small), dinner is included. Lunch was a reception of sorts...so he probably didn't think anything of it.

Although, I do think it was nice of your friend T to pick up the check for you.
                  "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                  "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Thanks for the congratulations, all. And thanks for the input, too. I didn't realize that the bride and groom and family usually paid for dinner, although it makes sense now that it's been said. As far as B not being able to afford it, no. There really is no way he couldn't. But it doesn't matter now, what's done is done and I hold no ill will against him or anything, I was just wondering if my thinking was out of line. Which I can see that it was a little bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X