China's only child policy = spoiled adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's only child policy = spoiled adults

(I posted this on CS, but was told it might be too hot of a topic there, so I'm re-posting it here).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071128/...na_marriage_dc

This is a criticism (as best as a Yahoo! news article can get) of how China's one-child-policy has produced a generation of "Me" people where marriage is just another financial arrangement until someone better comes by. Also, the children are just plain so self-absorbed as they were overindulged as a result of being only children.
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Link doesn't work
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Greenday - hey thanks for letting me know!

Here, try this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071128/..._marriage_dc_1
      Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Comment

After reading the article several times, it appears the spoiled attitudes of the Chinese privileged class is caused more by burgeoning wealth than anything else. The majority of population is still engaged in sustenance farming, and divorce is still a "luxury" many cannot afford.

It will be many years before the Chinese come even close to matching the entitled mindset of the West.

Comment

Well, at least when China grows up, it has a role model to look up to. *that is all tongue in cheek, in case no one noticed that*

Comment

And that's different from America...how?
            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I have to agree with Greenday. There are plenty of spoiled rotten only children all over the world!

I've seen both sides. My coworker has only one child, and she raised it to not be spoiled or rotten and she always had play groups so the child always interacted with others.

Then there's only children or late in life only children like my ex roomate who were given everything on a golden platter and never had to work a day in their life, college all paid for, and then they were thrown for a loop when they all of a sudden had to pay for their own place and *gasp* get a job!

Comment

I have a friend whom, on her 17th birthday, got a brand new Jaguar. This is a custom in their family apparently. Her older brother got one. Her younger sister got one. She's going to an expensive college and mommy and daddy are paying for her to go there. I have another friend who got a brand new BMW on her 17th birthday. She didn't like it so she traded it in for a Mercedes Benz.

Comment

When I was 16, I received from my Grandma a 13" television. I still have it. It's 19 years old (gah, now I just told ya'll my age ) and it works perfectly. As a matter of fact it's sitting in my living room, and my daughter is watching "Jojo's Circus" on it right now.

I guess it's "news" because it was a slow news day, and at least the news people weren't complaining about all the useless Americans. *shrugs* I have no clue. I just thought it was interesting that the Chinese are all of a sudden worried that their children are not obedient to their families anymore and becoming more "westernized" I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
                    I just thought it was interesting that the Chinese are all of a sudden worried that their children are not obedient to their families anymore and becoming more "westernized" I suppose.
                    From what I understand about Chinese culture, they're slowly moving towards a capitalist society from a communist one. Part of the worry might stem from that...or possibly because their leaders might have to give up their power eventually.

As for spoiled kids, well, they suck. It is though, amusing to see them stress out over having to actually *work* for things when mommy and daddy aren't there to give them everything It would have been nice to have received a new car when I was 16, but instead, I inherited my father's beat-up Tempo.

Comment

Every where you go and no matter how many children there are in a family, there's bound to be a spoiled kid somewhere. There's quite the number of reasons why those families spoil their kid(s):
                      • that kid is the favorite
                      • the parents are loaded
                      • the parents lack the spine to discipline their widdle pweshus
                      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
                        This is a criticism (as best as a Yahoo! news article can get) of how China's one-child-policy has produced a generation of "Me" people where marriage is just another financial arrangement until someone better comes by.
                        That's actually been a case of their culture, and how it's adapted to the new law. Very rarely in China's history has marriage been for love. For the most part, it traditionally has been a business deal.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                          From what I understand about Chinese culture, they're slowly moving towards a capitalist society from a communist one. Part of the worry might stem from that...or possibly because their leaders might have to give up their power eventually.

As for spoiled kids, well, they suck. It is though, amusing to see them stress out over having to actually *work* for things when mommy and daddy aren't there to give them everything It would have been nice to have received a new car when I was 16, but instead, I inherited my father's beat-up Tempo.
                          Have you seen the youtube clip of the spoiled chick complaining her brand new car is the wrong colour?

Neither link is working for me. Edit: Oh this is from November of last year.

Comment

I think that clip was a viral ad for something or another if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by anriana View Post
                              Have you seen the youtube clip of the spoiled chick complaining her brand new car is the wrong colour?
                              Sounds like something out of Super Sweet 16 on MTV.

There was the episode where the girl told her mother that she hated her and that she had ruined her whole party because Mom gave her the car a day early.

cry me a river. Parents spoiling their kids occurs on all levels in all of society. You don't have to be an only child to be spoiled.
                              "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                              "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Working...
                              X