A Boy Named Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MystyGlyttyr View Post
    I can't say much, heh. The names I've picked out if I should ever breed are Eddie Gregory and Bobby Christopher.
    Hmmm....Guerrero, Helms and Lashley. Good choices.

Is Christopher for Jericho, Benoit, Sabin or Daniels? (much credit if it is for Sabin)

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
      When you have a name like mine, which can be spelled so many different ways, it's really irritating. .
      Tell me about it and not's even my first name but my whole name that can be spell several ways, all which are right. There are at least two common ways to spell my first name (one's a name of bird) and well, there are six ways to spell my last name (two are common words). Now my middle I think you can only spell one way but I think there is another way but I think it's a guy's name.

The only frustrated thing I have is relatives spelling my name with the "i" not the "y" which is well, I how spell my name and it's how I have spelled it since I was started writing (y'll should know that). I guess is because it's the most common spelling but still can be irating when someone who knows you for a very long time still doesn't spell your name they you wanted it be spell. I mean they do know how I spell my name since I have given them cards and stuff but I'm not sure if I should let them know that it does hurt my feelings that they don't know how I like my name to be spell.

I also think my parents are a bit weird because I wasn't named after a relative or person but yet both brother was named after I think one their grandfathers and maybe a great-grandfather. Maybe it's because my dad was in charge naming me and my mother decided he didn't do a good job so she decided to name the next baby. I mean I kind of wished I was named after relatives especially my grandmothers which are Josephine (paternal) and Elizabeth (maternal) those would be very nice names to have but mines okay too. I'm kind of glad they didn't give me or bro any family names but than again one is a name of a city so it would be a great ice breaker.

Oh, someone is actually named Richard Head and you know I had thought about it a few days, thinking what a funny name that would be especially considering one of the nicknames for the first name is.
      Last edited by rdp78; 02-19-2008, 07:59 PM. Reason: added something
      Yours truly, Robyn.
      Myspace
      Facebook

Comment

My name has many different spellings and I have kind of an oddball version, although it makes perfect sense when you're going for the shortened version.

It just means that I never got to have any of those pre-printed license plates or personalized stationary or pencils or what have you with the correct spelling of my name.

Goddamn it's hard to spell after your 3rd glass of wine......Good shit though.

Comment

It's weird... over the years my wife and I have picked out a set of names that we both like, and the girl names tend to be weird while the boy names are quite ordinary. Due to biological complications it seems we may never breed (still hoping, though) but here are the names anyway:

Girls
          Amethyst Margaret (Amy for short - my wife loves amethysts, and my mum is Margaret)
          Ayisha Lynn (found it in a baby book and both loved it - Egyptian for "princess" - and we settled on the most phonetic spelling, and the Lynn is just there because we figured an odd three-syllable first name should have a snappy middle name)
          Zillah Anne (I was never sure of this one, and with the resurgent popularity of Godzilla I doubt we would ever inflict this on a child, even if my wife loves it - it's Biblical, Ruth's mother as I recall)

Boys
          Richard Lee (named after my father-in-law - he was an only son with no daughters, so Richard is taken from his surname Richardson)
          Peter Robert (nothing complex here: just my dad's name)

I quite like Taylor for a boy as well, but it's a bit overdone these days. Seems like the old traditional names will be more distinctive and unusual by the time I finally have kids!

Comment

I remember once a co-worker saying in all seriousness that she liked the name Tommy Lee for a boy... I said, "Oh, like the drummer in Motley Crue?"; she had never even heard of him so that had never occured to her. She eventually decided on something else for her hypothetical child.

I so want to call a child Othello or Loki; hmm, maybe that's just another reason why I shouldn't have kids. XD
            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
              I think some parents seriously just threw a bunch of letters in a hat and pulled randomly...
              I actually know someone whose parents did this (friend of a friend). They actually came up with a name that is unique but doesn't sound completely ridiculous.

I have a unique name, which I will not share. Suffice to say, I went through school with the lovely nickname of "Alien." Frankly not very creative... I hated it as a kid, but as an adult I like it. I'm often told I have a pretty name, and it is a family name, so it's nice to carry that on. I do, however, have mixed feelings about the idea of passing it on to my own daughter some day, should I have one, as my mother would like me to do. (A part of me hopes for boys just so I don't have to make the decision .)

than to never be able to find any name thingies with my name spelled right (hey, that's important when you're a kid!)
              I never could find any of those things. The only time I could get anything with my name on it was if it was specially personalized (like the personalized pencils my elementary school made available for us ). My brother has an easier time of it. His name is Bryan. Used to be you could usually only find "Brian" but I've noticed recently (looking at those little Christmas tree ornaments in the craft store) that they often have both spellings these days.

Originally posted by protege View Post
              I have an uncle Richard...who does by Dick. Considering he acts like one bout 99% of the time, it's pretty damn appropriate It could be worse though. My company does business with a guy named Richard Small...
              There was a scientist in the field of nanotechnology, who (along with 2 other people) won the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1997(?) named Richard Smalley...

He went by Rick. (He was my aunt's ex-husband. He passed away a few years ago. I never met him, but it's neat to have a family connection to someone so highly revered in his circle.)
              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 02-24-2008, 11:34 PM. Reason: afterthoughts
              I'm liberal on some issues and conservative on others. For example, I would not burn a flag, but neither would I put one out. -Garry Shandling

You can't believe in something you don't. -Ricky Gervais

Comment

It's not so much that I mind the odd names, just the people who get bent out of shape about it being misspelled/mispronounced. If you picked random letters out of a hat for your kid's name...expect that you'll have to correct people either on spelling or pronunciation...and do it gracefully. If you're an adult and you have a weird name- accept it gracefully when people make a mistake, or freakin' change if it bothers you that much.

My aunt hated her name. She got it changed, legally, so she wouldn't have to go by it.

If you have an unusual spelling or name- Great! But don't hate me if your kid's name is Xylepheneus Pernicalliac and I have problems spelling it or saying it! (ok I'm exaggerating...but seriously, I've dealt with people like that!)

I think I was ranting a bit in my first post and didn't make my point clear...it's not the weird names I have a problem with, just the people that get all insulted when you make a mistake pronouncing or spelling them.
                "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

The other wierd ones are people who have a name that's spelled exactly like a common name, but they've chosen to pronounce it some weird way, then act like YOU'RE the idiot when you pronounce it the way that pretty much everyone else does.

People with the name Andrea seem to be the worst about that. I guess they feel specialer when they pronounce it with a long A.
                  Last edited by AFPheonix; 03-02-2008, 06:03 AM. Reason: I do grammar gud

Comment

Originally posted by AFPheonix View Post
                    The other wierd ones are people who have a name that's spelled exactly like a common name, but they've chosen to pronounce it some weird way, then act like YOUR the idiot when you pronounce it the way that pretty much everyone else does.
                    Yes, AFPheonix! That's another thing I didn't mention- but is exactly what I'm talking about.
                    "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
                    "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Originally posted by machinest View Post
                      I have two step brothers with weird names one from Aztec mythology and one from Tolkien, however both of them were given perfectly reasonable middle names as an alternative if they so chose.
                      That's what we did with out dd's although their names are not quite that outrageous. They're Savanna, Maire and Delaney, and they all have "normal" middle names that come from family, so that if they want to use a more traditional name as they age, they can.

Comment

Beware of using names that come from living family. My middle name does, so even though I wanted to stop using my first name, I couldn't use my middle name without inviting major confusion. Not until the relative dies, by which time (hopefully) I'll have lived most of my life.

Now I have two middle names - my original first name, and my original middle name. I added a name, and paid for the legal recognition of my new first name.

Comment

Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
                          It's not so much that I mind the odd names, just the people who get bent out of shape about it being misspelled/mispronounced. If you picked random letters out of a hat for your kid's name...expect that you'll have to correct people either on spelling or pronunciation...and do it gracefully. If you're an adult and you have a weird name- accept it gracefully when people make a mistake, or freakin' change if it bothers you that much.
                          For some of us it's not that easy. I have a last name that I dislike quite a bit, as it gave me no end of grief in high school. Even though I'm an adult, however, I *can't* change it without upsetting my parents greatly. (that, and the fact that I don't have the money to do it)
                          ~ The American way is to barge in with a bunch of weapons, kill indiscriminately, and satisfy the pure blood lust for revenge. All in the name of Freedom, Apple Pie, and Jesus. - AdminAssistant ~

Comment

I have an unusual first name and went through hell up until HS with all the nicknames people used to tease me. Eventually I adopted one of the nicknames to help people pronounce my name.

I came to reconsile with my name in HS but now it drives me nuts again because it's the same name as a crappy "singer." So when I tell people my name I get, "Oh, like the singer?"

That phrase pisses me off more than people using the common translation of my name (which I do not respond to and threaten people with death if they insist on using it)

Comment

Working...
                            X