No announcement yet.

This thread does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thread does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the forum

So for a long time anything that was considered controversial, says things that could offend someone, the networks would slap a disclaimer on the show pointing out that what was said didn't necessarily reflect their opinions.

It was always for "immoral" programs or non christian programs about other religions.

Finally programs like the 700 club are being given that disclaimer. I like it because it applies the "anyone can say something offensive" to everyone instead of assuming that "family" programming can do no wrong.

Thoughts?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Personally I can understand "this program may contain" Messages on matters of real life... like a murder documentary. But other then that I am of the old school of... You dont like it, dont watch it, dont listen to it etc

There is more then one channel seriously... dont like a book dont read it... etc

Comment

That warning isn't because the station thinks the show is controversial. They do the same for infomercials (in fact, I think The 700 Club IS, an informercial as far as the station is concerned.). Even completely harmless DVD commentaries have them, depending on the company.

Edit: This is for the "not necessarily the opinions of..." disclaimers. The content warnings Kimmik brings up are different entirely.
      Last edited by HYHYBT; 05-04-2010, 12:17 PM.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Honestly I am of the no one should have disclaimers school of thought if you don't like what your watching change the channel, however I was liking that it now seems to be applied fairly whereas I hadn't seen the 700 club ever given a disclaimer.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Heh, I don't care as I don't watch the 700 Club.

However, I've seen that disclaimer on one of my daughter's DVDs. All it is is a bunch of 30 minute cartoons. (I think it's a Dora DVD or a Backyardigans - with no extras but the shows themselves). I have no clue why it's there but it is.
          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post
            I watch it from time to time for amusement value. Also to find out what new hatred he'll be spewing in the name of a Man who said to love your enemies and to pray for them.

Also, yes, it's a good thing that "this show does not necessarily reflect the views of this station or its owners" has been put in front of 700 Club.
            "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
            A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

Originally posted by IDrinkaRum View Post

However, I've seen that disclaimer on one of my daughter's DVDs. All it is is a bunch of 30 minute cartoons. (I think it's a Dora DVD or a Backyardigans - with no extras but the shows themselves). I have no clue why it's there but it is.
              Probably standard for all dvds released by that company

Comment

Maybe ... but it's Nickelodeon. But you're right. Some of the DVDs for older kids could have certain situations that are taken one way when a parent watching it with their child would go into another direction. Never thought about it like that. I just thought it was odd on a children's DVD.
                Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Even though its Nick they may have different companies handling different DVD productions.

Comment

I dunno. I find SpongeBob SquarePants to be objectionable material.

Comment

Not sure what network does the show KND but I find some episodes offensive. They teach kids the wrong things sometimes.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                        Not sure what network does the show KND but I find some episodes offensive. They teach kids the wrong things sometimes.
                        Codename: Kids Next Door? That's Cartoon Network, I think. Or at least it used to be, I haven't had cable that fancy in a while. (I liked the show, actually. I thought it was cute and silly.)

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                          (I liked the show, actually. I thought it was cute and silly.)
                          My issue was one episode showed a guy forced into a relationship with mind control then forced to beat up all his friends. After the mind control helmet broke he told the girl not to do it again then took said girl out for ice cream leaving his friends unconcious bodies laying there.

I didn't like it because if I hadn't been there I would not have had the chance to explain to her that any boy or girl that treats her that way is not a friend and forcing someone into a relationship is a bad thing.
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

The only disclaimer I like is the one before shows like law an order. that basically say Hey send the kids to bed because were not only going to rape a girl we are gonna kill her, you don't want them exposed to that if you think spongebob is questionable.

Although, your bringing up a bigger issue, lawyers who are trying to cover a clients ass because they are afraid of yet another lawyer with a easily offended client suing them because either they buy P90X and "it doesn't work" or Commit a triple homicide because well "I got the idea from law and order"

Comment

Best disclaimer ever:

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2)a desavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass.

(next screen)

Though it'll go without saying ten minutes or so into these proceedings, View Askew would like to state that this film is- from start to finish- a work of comedice fantasy, not to be taken seriously. To insist that any of what follows is incendiary or inflammatory is to miss our intention and pass undue judgment; and passing judgment is reserved for God and God alone (this goes for you film critics too... just kidding).

So please - before you think about hurting someone over this trifle of a film, remember: even God has a sense of humore. Just look at the platypus. Thank you and enjoy the show.

(next screen)

P.S. We sincerely apologize to all platypus enthusiasts out there who are offended by that thoughtless comment about the platypi. We at View Askew respect the noble platypus, and it is not our intention to slight these stupid creatures in any way.

Than you again and enjoy the show."
                              (If you don't know what it's from, go home (Seriously, it's from Dogma).

The disclaimers aren't because the stations think the information is controversial, if they didn't like the message then they wouldn't put the show on there. They put most of them (some exceptions are like the Law and Order ones) before the shows to cover their rear ends from the oerly-sensitive people who are sue and complain to the FCC crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X