Student protest turns into riots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student protest turns into riots.

WARNING, I am NOT unbiased in writing this. I will attempt to be as much as I can in the following moments, but give no guarentee to do so. The situation touches me just too much. I am writing this for your outlook on the subject.
    We have social healthcare, social retirement, social schooling. Comes from being a former Yugoslavia country...

I come from Slovenia, a nice little country smaller than NYC. A while ago (week or 3), the parliament has presented a draft of a law that may or may not be implemented, called small work. It has been presented due to budged deficit and an attempt to fix it, as well as shrink the growing amount of student work, which is tax free. It basicaly says that any student or other non-full time jobs would be limited to 14 hours a week, that any and all scholarships for highschool would be eliminated and the amount given to parents in the form of child relief, no child relief for any at-home child that is not in prime or high school, as well as quite a few others that are not as important right now (a bit too frustrated to translate it all. I can do it later on if you wish.)

As a reaction to this, highschoolers and students organised a peacefull protest. They were announcing the protest around town for a week. The day before, they were anticipating something around 8.000-10.000 protesters to show up (final number was 10.000). As they gathered at a local meeting spot (Prešernov trg), you could already hear provoking shouts from the organisers. They then made their way to the parliament and started peacfully (if loudly) protesting the new law. The plan was, as far as I can tell, to egg the place, in an attempt to show their anger, but it turned into throwing bottles, signs and lastly granite blocks (ornamental sidewalk markers) at the building and the police guarding it. There was even a fire in front of the building. Around 30 protesters were held, no one seriously hurt. As soon as the bottles were flying the ogranisers started shouting for everyone to stop (10.000 strong mob and they had 10 megaspeakers) and then quickly exited to a safe distance. Th organisers are being pointed at by the whole country as the ones that should pay the 27.000 euro damages for the 50 broken windows (oh, and the burnt plant). The whole country is decrying the actions of the students.

Personaly, the only thing I have a problem with is the amount of violence. My thoughts about the protests before was "I hope they break a window or two" (heh, got way more than I wanted I guess). Politicians in our country are building their 3rd vacation home, living in villas and have arms collections, each piece worth over 1000 euros, while the average pay for the whole country is ca. 950 euros a month (median being WAY less than 800, closer to 600). The work that students are doing is payed 3.5-5.5 euros, 10 for academic instructions, an hour. Rent and costs usually amount to 150 euros a month, food you can make it with 50 if you can cook (not ability, but availability of a stove in the house). The conditions they were trying to throw students and most unemployed would be slightly hard to bear. Worse still, becouse of the riot, the law is most probably going to be passed now.

I shall try to ammend this post with usefull links (all news reports that I can find are realy spotty and show only the damage done afterwards). Let me know if I should clarify anything else. Again, sorry for any mistakes, but Im still tense in general (probably aged 2 years in these 2 days becouse of this mess).

One of the reports.
    http://www.siol.net/slovenija/novice...in_dijaki.aspx

Un commented video showing the ending
    http://www.slomedia.si/video/9ce8aaa90f00e9110c5

Commented video, near the ending
    http://24ur.com/novice/slovenija/stu...ice.html#video

Originally posted by kamn View Post
    The plan was, as far as I can tell, to egg the place, in an attempt to show their anger,
    Unfortunately, with this phrase, the "peaceful" protest was doomed to fail. Regardless of how inoffensive the eggs qualify as a weapon, it still qualifies, and this means there was an intent to violence. Once it starts, it only escalates.

I'm sorry, I do agree that the conditions are deplorable and that things need to change, I will not dispute that. The problem is that planning violence, no matter how minor, is not helping the protesters argument.

Comment

I'm so sorry the protest didn't go the way you wanted.

The law sounds disastrous from an economic perspective.

Comment

and sadly the cynic in me wonders if since the protest was planned and announced well in advance if some of the "protesters" really weren't.

It would certainly not be the first time a group being protested has hired "plants" to start violence and cast doubt on the agenda of the protesters.
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

The protesters weren't really peaceful if they were planning violence from the get go. Plants wouldn't be neccasary.

Comment

We had lots of G20 idiots here recently. The vast majority of those fools came to Pittsburgh...simply to cause trouble. All of this crap was planned well in advance. In fact, they actually leaked the locations to the media...who warned residents to be careful.

They *wanted* to get arrested, and did whatever they could to provoke the police. Then they turned around and complained about their treatment. In fact, many of the people who had their property damaged or destroyed, or were injured in the protests...had nothing to do with G20. They were simply mom-and-pop store owners, or people simply trying to earn a living. Yet, we were forced to have our lives disrupted for several days because of idiots?

Sorry, but fuck that. I'm all for the "right to assemble" as the right to protest, but when that shit turns violent...all bets are off. Call in the dogs, the water cannons, sonic devices, and remove the problem.

Comment

I can't support planning riots and that's what they did. If they had just planned a protest, then awesome, I'd be all for backing it. But they planned a violent protest and there is already a name for it, it's called a riot.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

That's the thing. They didn't plan the violence. They wanted the symbolism of it. And as far as I can tell, there weren't any plants inside. If there were, they would probably want their identity hidden, so as a first precaution would be wearing some kind of mask or something. Nothing like that there.

Also, if you watched the last link, you might see the sluggish reactions of the police force. If that puzzles you, take another look at the first line of protesters. Most of them are high schoolers, who are by law considered minors and exempt from most normal punishments. Rumor has it, our minister for internal affairs ordered them NOT to act without absolute cause, due to minors being in the protest and partly because of Greece.

Comment

The plan was, as far as I can tell, to egg the place
                  That's planning violence.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

And as far as I can tell, there weren't any plants inside. If there were, they would probably want their identity hidden, so as a first precaution would be wearing some kind of mask or something. Nothing like that there.
                    not a good assumption-"plants" are not always "outsiders" a plant can be someone paid to start or escalate that is already within the group.

When the teamsters went on strike in chicago companies affected brought in "strikebreakers" by the train load to beat the striking workers into submission-they had the choice of fight back or be beaten.

For example see "the Jakarta Riots" of 1998 These were riots against the Indonesian people-in which the Indonesian military participated in the violence against those they were supposed to protect.

the stonewall riots were escalated to violence by the police.
                    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                      That's planning violence.
                      I disagree. I see at an extreme show of displeasure. No real damage (apart from cleaning) would come from egging the place. Similar to throwing rotten vegetables at bad shows, if you will...

Comment

Have you ever had a building or car egged? An egg can cause some seriouse damage if thrown hard enough or it hits a window. Plus it is hard to clean it off

Comment

I disagree. I see at an extreme show of displeasure. No real damage (apart from cleaning) would come from egging the place. Similar to throwing rotten vegetables at bad shows, if you will...
                          It's causing damage. That's violence.

Comment

Not to mention they could actually hit someone.

Comment

Someone egged my car once luckily it was being sold to a junk yard already because the damage done by the egg would have required a new paint job.

Any act of violence no matter how small or symbolic you think it may be is a show of force a show of force makes it a riot.

One getting hit by an egg hurts.

Two the message behind symbolic violence is usually, "Do what we want or we will use real violence"
                              Last edited by jackfaire; 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM.
                              Jack Faire
                              Friend
                              Father
                              Smartass

Comment

Working...
                              X