gun control laws that make sense? wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
    It wasn't a direct thing coming from your post, actually. It was more my mind wandering in a tangent. That said, knives have more than the use of stabbing people, so it's not a perfect analogy. It means I can more see where pro-gunners are coming from, but I can't make the full leap as guns are only there to kill or injure people.

Rapscallion
    Kill or injure living things, to be exact. The same can also be said of many types of knives (I mean, you're not carrying a push knife around to open boxes with, it's for stabbing people).
    All units: IRENE
    HK MP5-N: Solving 800 problems a minute since 1986

Comment

When I was in scouts many years back, I had a sheath knife from my father. I used it for cutting rope, whittling wood and so forth - proper tool uses. Never got to gut an animal or similar. I'm more talking about the functional types of knife, not the type designed to kill or injure.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I'm not entirely certain about *buying* a car without a license, but in Georgia, at least, you certainly can *own* a car without one. And you don't have to keep it registered so long as it stays off the road, though depending on where you live, a city ordinance, HOA rule, etc may restrict that.

You don't even have to have a license to keep the car registered and insured.

And there are things you can do; for instance, if you have a farm or something, you can keep a truck to drive on that that wouldn't even qualify for a tag (though they don't have inspections in my county) so long as it remains on your own property.

Or, take Grandma. She's been in the nursing home for, I think, six years now. She'd given up driving long before that; arthritis made it impossible for her to turn her head or move the controls well enough to be safe long ago. But the car is still titled in her name, and until this past December, was registered and insured as well. When she did go anywhere, whoever took her would drive her in her car. It's staying in the family for sentimental reasons, and because there's absolutely nothing wrong with it yet it has almost no resale value. So if and when someone in the family *needs* a car, it's ready. One practical purpose this serves is that I don't need to carry collision/comprehensive insurance The savings from that will quickly be more than what it would sell for on a good day.

Which doesn't really have a lot to do with gun control, except that I think gun licensing, if it exists, ought to be the same way.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

And you don't have to keep it registered so long as it stays off the road, though depending on where you live, a city ordinance, HOA rule, etc may restrict that.

You don't even have to have a license to keep the car registered and insured.
          Indeed. There's a tradition in redneck areas to own three or four vehicles, none of them registered, none of them road-worthy, all of them in the front yard.

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
            I saw screw it to registration, watch this 20min video. they point out certain other people who require registration, and mention how it is the first step towards confiscation. It is a lot easier to go door to store demanding the surrender of weapons when you know who has them, makes a military invasion that much simpler.

the 2nd amendment protected us in WW2 according to this qoute

"You cannot invade the mainland United States.
            There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
            (Japanese Navy)

I would put more stock in the Japanese not invading America due to their being an ocean between the countries rather then the amount of guns America has.

Comment

Didn't seem to really slow them down last time they tried. It was more of an overwhelming manufacturing capability. Then again, the key factors in they're ass kicking on the Aleutian islands WAS natives with guns and the cold...

Comment

Originally posted by Wingates_Hellsing View Post
                the key factors in they're ass kicking on the Aleutian islands WAS natives with guns and the cold...
                I think with more emphasis being on the cold. I somehow doubt that an island nation in the tropics had any preporation for the Arctic and the cold is an indiscriminate killer of those who are unprepared (I've done high altitude, cold weather, survival training before... I know just what it can do).
                The Russians credit the cold for the defeat of the Nazis, so I really wouldn't doubt that it had a lot to do with the defeat of the Japanese.
                "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

True, the armed natives were more the icing on the cake than the cake. But I think we can all agree that icing is tasty .

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    The Russians credit the cold for the defeat of the Nazis, so I really wouldn't doubt that it had a lot to do with the defeat of the Japanese.
                    Yeah, it was essentially 3 factors:

1) Lack of viable supplies due to the cold weather (supplies had trouble getting through and what did get through wasn't set up for cold weather survival)

2) Equipment literally freezing up and jamming from the cold weather because they weren't designed for use in the climate (the Soviet rifles were specially engineered to use a different type of lubricating oil that allowed it to operate 20-30 degrees colder than the German weapons)

3) It was impossible to break their morale, mainly because there wasn't any. The Soviets knew they would either die by the Nazis if they stayed or by Stalin himself if they retreated. They had no option but to fight the Nazis as that gave them better odds of survival.

Comment

Working...
                    X