No right to childfree spaces?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No right to childfree spaces?!

This is a blog article you just have to read to believe. And even then you might not.

you do not have a right to child free spaces.

there is this weird thing in western culture, especially n american culture, where people/adults seem to believe that they have a right to discriminate against children.

but dont get me wrong. kids will be kids. at times that means tears, loud noises, knocking things over, etc. and when that happens the worst things to do is start sending out negative energy, glaring at the mama and child, yelling, sour faces, etc. much more helpful is to take a deep breath, send warm energy toward the mama and kid, give a sympathetic smile, and maybe even start talking with the kid to distract her from whatever has her upset at the moment.
    Really.

I can sum up this author's opinion in just two words; entitlement mentality.

Fortunately, most of the commenters don't seem to be buying it and are calling her on her BS.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM.

No right to "discriminate against" children? In a BAR?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

WTF? Sorry. I love my baby girl more than anything. But sometimes I NEED to go somewhere without her. My friends love my daughter. But, there are times when they want to hang out with ME, not US. So, when I go out with the girls, I'm not taking her with me. I don't understand why some parents think its ok to force their children on other people.
      Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow, for I may not lead. Just go over there somewhere.

Comment

Wah, the world won't cater to her because she did something the majority of women can do. Boo hoo.

She chose to have a kid. She SHOULD own up to it. When tons of alcohol is around, kids have no place there. If I was 20, I wouldn't be allowed in so why the hell should a 3 year old that isn't even close get to?
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I checked into the blog later, and the writers allies are staging a furious counterattack.
          Honestly? I can't even imagine the sense of entitlement the bloggers kids are going to grow up with.

Comment

This reminded me of something that happened at the liquor store I worked at.

Come X-mas time, we had a variety of novelty shaped candy and glassware. The favourites were the 'Penis Pops' and the boob-shaped shot glasses. All of these were for display on the tills, and the store was well within it's right to sell them due to the 19+ age restriction of the store (of which is posted on both entrances).

During the time we were selling them, we had at least 4 women complain to management, and some even threatening to complain to head office.
            Why?
            Because they had brought their young children into the store and they didn't think the novelty gifts were appropriate for young eyes.

Needless to say, management pointed out the age restrictions of the store and the fact that the parent had chosen to bring their child in despite them.

So, sure you can bring your child where ever you like, but you do it at your own risk.

What I want to know, is would the original author of the blog post take her children to the strippers, or to a night club, or to a NC-17 film?
            Some place should be child-free.
            Last edited by Rebel; 07-27-2010, 10:17 PM.
            "Having a Christian threaten me with hell is like having a hippy threaten to punch me in my aura."
            Josh Thomas

Comment

I don't get these women, I really don't.

When my kids were little, I loved nothing more than a night away from them once in awhile. I loved my little-ones dearly, but I was a better parent to them when I was able to take a breather occasionally.

Then again, if I did choose to take my kid to a restaurant or other public place and they acted up, guess what - I disciplined them and didn't allow them to bother other people. It's called PARENTING.

What is it with this fucking mentality nowadays that everyone should be ready, willing and able to have their peace and quiet destroyed? I don't blame the kids at all...kids will be kids, but it's up to a parent do control the child and make it a proper environment for EVERYONE, not just your kid.

If you want your kid to run wild, take them to a park or someplace that caters to kids.

And I firmly believe there should be places where adults can enjoy time together without kids...like a bar.

Comment

I don't drink. Ergo I don't frequent bars. How much right do I have to child free areas?

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

The writer lost any credibility with their refusal to use capital letters.

Comment

I have dealt with this recently.

My friends know I have a child... where I go my child goes.. if my child isn't welcome then I pass. I also don't begrudge my friends for wanting to go out and they understand that as a parent my main purpose is to my daughter.
                    I don't do the bar scene, so that is not an issue.. what I dislike is people when I am shopping and the 7mo old starts to cry I get glares... I am sorry but that is what 7mo old do.. they cry, make noises and tend to spit up at odd times.. or when mommy forgot her extra shirt lol

I would not take my child to an "adult" place... such as a comedy club, reg club, bar, high class restaurant since they don't belong in a place like that. But if I am in a store, restaurant, or other place that a person would go during their day I expect people to understand that no you can not tell a 7mo to shush they dont get that. I will do my best to make sure my child is being respectful, but damn it.. if I am in a family restaurant and she is babbling and playing with her key ring teether and she drops them and starts to cry... dont send me a glare and out loud to your company state, this is why children shouldn't be allowed in restaurants.

How ever as a Parent I also have the responsibility to be a parent and understand that there is just some places that a wee one should go.. But if I am taking my nephews to a museum she is coming to.. I try to keep her amused and happy but she is going to cry... that is how she lets the world know that something is wrong.

Comment

If that woman wants to bring her three year old to the bar; fine. She just shouldn't expect the likes of me and my friends to stop talking about sex, violent movies, swearing or giving sexy men marks out of ten and discussing the comparative sizes of men's dicks. I'd just love to see her face when little Cznoflayke expresses the things she's learned by being taken to bars in playschool.

Also, since this woman does not want people to discriminate by age; does that mean that I and my mates can come to her kiddy's daycare armed with cigarettes and bottles of alcopops? Or that we can all sit in the child's playground swings and talk about adult things there? After all, if she complained about us, she'd only be discriminating about age...
                      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmik View Post
                        I will do my best to make sure my child is being respectful, but damn it.. if I am in a family restaurant and she is babbling and playing with her key ring teether and she drops them and starts to cry... dont send me a glare and out loud to your company state, this is why children shouldn't be allowed in restaurants.

This. 1000x this.

I have no issue with parents at restaurants or in a store, and the parent is making a concerted effort to engage the child and/or placate the child.

Kids will be kids. I've been in this position more times than I care to count.

It's the parents that let their kids run wild and make no effort, or think little johnny's fussing is so adorable and that everyone should just kowtow to them and their needs. Those are the parents I think should be strung up.

Comment

Originally posted by pssorens View Post
                          Honestly? I can't even imagine the sense of entitlement the bloggers kids are going to grow up with.
                          Seriously....so when her "spehsul snowflake" is a teenager is she going to call her mom and whine that she got carded for a pack of cigs or beer? I guess LAWS discriminate against children, too

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                            I have no issue with parents at restaurants or in a store, and the parent is making a concerted effort to engage the child and/or placate the child.
                            To me, it depends on the type of restaurant. If I go into McDonalds, or to a specifically family restaurant and someone has a wailing child, then I expect it. I might not be happy about it (tho I will be more happy if the parents are trying to quiet the child) but it's what I expect when I go to those places.

However, if I'm in a pub (in England, a pub does not necessarily sell food; also, not all pubs that sell food are family friendly) or in a posh restaurant, and someone has a wailing child, then I'm very annoyed. As far as I'm concerned, they can either shut their child up, or get the fuck out. I specifically go to family unfriendly places to escape children; people with kids should not invade those places with their children, especially if said children can't behave themselves.

Like I said before, I don't go to the adventure playground and smoke, occasionally pushing a child off the swings. So it's only fair that the kiddie brigade leave the adult places alone. No-one's saying that if you have a child, you have to live in complete isolation and never leave the house. All I and other childfree people would like is a little consideration.

If you want to head out to a pub, club or cinema after dark, then either leave the child at home with a sitter, or don't go. Don't drag little Cznoflayke with you and therefore end up wrecking other people's nights out when she screams, runs around, and ends up by sitting there grizzling cuz she doesn't want to be out on the town, she wants to be home cuz get this, she is a three year old child, not a tiny adult, and does not belong out on the tiles.
                            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

I think the majority of parents are reasonable human beings and know this is crao. Like Kimmik said, places like stores and libraries and certain restaurants you have to expect there will probably be kids and deal with it. But there should definitely be places in the world where children are not allowed, because it's simply not appropriate- bars and high-end restaurants, comedy clubs etc. If we make smokers stand on the street, it's OK to keep children out of certain places.

If your friends want to go someplace without your kid, leave the kid at home. Or find new friends who also take their children everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X