Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too draconian? toy guns must be registered, locked up

story here

under proposed changes to the queensland weapons laws, "any replica firearm will need to be registered, licensed, and kept locked up." the law includes toy guns and carved replicas. Violation carries a maximum penalty of up to $4,500.00. Ownership of simple laser pointers is also being restricted. However police are totally exempted from storage laws.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

*cough* police state *cough*

Since I'm not there, I can't say whether or not it'll be passed. But that's getting pretty damn ridiculous.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

That's the stupidest thing I've read since... well, since yesterday, come to think of it, but still.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't own a gun yet, just a couple of knives and throwing weapons, but still that's really stupid. Also how are they gonna know the guns aren't locked up in your house, what are they gonna do search the place and say, "Fine him he left it on the desk." because that's just dumb.
        "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
          I don't own a gun yet, just a couple of knives and throwing weapons, but still that's really stupid. Also how are they gonna know the guns aren't locked up in your house, what are they gonna do search the place and say, "Fine him he left it on the desk." because that's just dumb.
          Quite likely, yes. Many places outside the US authorizes the police to inspect your gun cabinet pretty much whenever they feel.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            That's the stupidest thing I've read since... well, since yesterday, come to think of it, but still.
            LOL...yeah it's getting insane. My daughter got suspended from school over a water gun...and not even one that looked like a "replica" it was obviously a toy. I found it ridiculous.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Skelly View Post
              Quite likely, yes. Many places outside the US authorizes the police to inspect your gun cabinet pretty much whenever they feel.
              That's the law here in QLD, and the key/pin number is not allowed to be touched/known by anyone without a gun license. For example: if my husband had a gun license and I didn't, then the police showed up to inspect it and I said "Sure, here's the key." or "Sure, I can get you the key." then my husband would lose his license and would also be fined/charged. (Gender isn't supposed to matter)

As for the toy gun topic, I think that it's a stupid addition to the licensing laws and hope that it won't be passed. I don't have a problem with kids running around with toy guns as long they're just playing and as long as their parents make it very clear that violence isn't (always) the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Mishi View Post
                That's the law here in QLD, and the key/pin number is not allowed to be touched/known by anyone without a gun license. For example: if my husband had a gun license and I didn't, then the police showed up to inspect it and I said "Sure, here's the key." or "Sure, I can get you the key." then my husband would lose his license and would also be fined/charged. (Gender isn't supposed to matter)

As for the toy gun topic, I think that it's a stupid addition to the licensing laws and hope that it won't be passed. I don't have a problem with kids running around with toy guns as long they're just playing and as long as their parents make it very clear that violence isn't (always) the solution.
                Same here regarding the code/key to the gun safe. I don't think the police can inspect whenever they want though.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                  story here

under proposed changes to the queensland weapons laws, "any replica firearm will need to be registered, licensed, and kept locked up." the law includes toy guns and carved replicas. Violation carries a maximum penalty of up to $4,500.00. Ownership of simple laser pointers is also being restricted. However police are totally exempted from storage laws.
                  Yes, far to draconian a bill to even be considered being passed into law. I can just see some kid (or his parents) being criminalized for leaving a toy out (failing to clean his room). Encouraging proper storage of REAL firearms, ok. But toys? What possible reason could they have for fining someone between $750-$4500 for not locking up or registering a toy? This makes no sense to me. But then I don't live in Queensland.

I don't think anything like this would fly where I live without massive protests and legal battles.
                  "Sometimes the way you THINK it is, isn't how it REALLY is at all." --St. Orin--

Comment

Damn, I must get my 'replica' blaster (from Star Wars) back in its case then. Oh wait, weren't the ones used in the movies fake too?

Comment

A method to the madness is: Make it very difficult to near impossible to buy and play with a toy gun. Most parents will see this as being too expensive and won't buy them. Eventually "gun culture" is removed from the following generations thereby making a total ban of real firearms very likely.

I have a few firearms and I keep all but my carry gun locked up behind steel and concrete. Once upon a time my wife had the combination to my safe. When we remodeled and added onto our house I added a steel reenforced "gun room" (yes the ceiling too) and installed a vault door (from a bank that was being torn down, I got it free just for hauling it off.) My wife doesn't have the combos to it. Oddly enough both sons and my youngest daughter have the combos but only I have the key to unlock dials. I don't have it this way to have something to lord over my wife, she really doesn't care to know besides she has her own carry gun and she says that's enough for her. (Please don't take this as bragging as I keep the vast majority of our valueables in the vault.)
                      Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X