"Speak English" sign in Philly restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by radiocerk View Post
    And I lost count of the number of times I saw a five or six year old translating for mom, dad or grandparent.
    We have that around here at the grocery stores. More than I really wanted to I needed to have the customer's kid translate, which made me a bit uneasy since I was usually conducting money transfers with the customer.

It made it easier once I learned one of the cashiers could speak damn good Spanish. No, I didn't overuse her for that, but, it came in quite handy. Yes, I did pay her back in anyway I could (covering her break, giving her extra responsibilities, etc).

Comment

I have absolutely no problem with people posting signs like that.

Here's the deal: I feel if people come to America, they need to learn the language or at least provide their own translater. At the same time, if I go to Germany, I would try and know enough of the language to get me through. I would not get mad at Germans because they don't know English. When traveling or moving, people need to take responsibility enough to learn the native language.
      < insert comment about my amazing computer not running vista well even though I used it for an hour max>

Comment

I can see the point of the sign, but the wording is the problem I have an issue with. It certainly could have been worded a hell of a lot better.

Comment

I realized I hadnt responded to this one. I applaud the business owner in the OP. This is america. There should be an official language that ALL government and ALL business is conducted in and ANYONE who cannot read or speak that language should not be participating in that. Citizen or not if you do not have the basic decency/capacity/motivation to learn the lingua franca of the nation you are in then you dont deserve to be there or have the country or business bending over backwards to give special access to any thong, wong or jose who comes here and refuses to learn our language.

As for what to do with all thse other languages do nothign to them. If people want to speak them in their own home or with ther friends and associates thats fine. nothing wrong with or need to do about that. To do official business or government business then sorry this is america speak english.

Comment

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
            I can see the point of the sign, but the wording is the problem I have an issue with. It certainly could have been worded a hell of a lot better.
            Like what? Should they have said please? The sign is concise and to the point. No problems here.

Comment

I think the thing that got me was the bald eagle shedding a single tear in front of an American flag. It gave it a special NASCAR touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jadedcarguy View Post
                Like what? Should they have said please? The sign is concise and to the point. No problems here.
                Oh, so a "to serve you better, please order in english" is worse?

Any time I see "This is America, do this" I see it as saying "Don't want to do this? get out of my country then" and that sign simply reinforces it.

Comment

Oh, so a "to serve you better, please order in english" is worse?
                  That would have been fine too.

Any time I see "This is America, do this" I see it as saying "Don't want to do this? get out of my country then" and that sign simply reinforces it.
                  It's no different than a sign saying "This is Mexico, when ordering do so in Spanish". I've been to Mexico, and if you don't have a grasp of Spanish down there, you're hosed. Trust me, outside of the US this touchy feely "pander to everyone" crap does not exist.

Comment

It's no different than a sign saying "This is Mexico, when ordering do so in Spanish". I've been to Mexico, and if you don't have a grasp of Spanish down there, you're hosed. Trust me, outside of the US this touchy feely "pander to everyone" crap does not exist.
                    Agreed there where several times when i was researching for my Euro trip where I ran across a tour guide book saying if you dont speak the local language even a little bit you're not going to get good service or any service in some areas. In some parts of Italy or France you may be even asked to leave the store/restraunt/dining place according to some of the guidebooks.

Oh, so a "to serve you better, please order in english" is worse
                    Yeah that sounds a little politer but still gets the point across. I dont see a problem with that either.

I think the thing that got me was the bald eagle shedding a single tear in front of an American flag. It gave it a special NASCAR touch.
                    I know so sweet wasnt it?

Comment

Trust me, outside of the US this touchy feely "pander to everyone" crap does not exist.
                      There's a middle ground, though.

At my local library, there are signs and brochures in a variety of languages offering English language courses. There are also brochures and signs asking for volunteer English tutors.

My local shopping centre hires from my local community, and most (not all) of the sales staff at the Halal butcher seem to speak assorted Arabic languages.

Essentially, what seems to happen here is that if the sales staff speak the same language as you - great. If not, do your best in English. And by the way, we can help you learn English.

(My local area does have quite a few refugees, so there are people here who didn't expect to be coming to an English-speaking country: or to leave their home countries at all. English skills are encouraged for immigrants who plan to come here, but asylum for refugees is based on our capacity and their need, not language skills.)

Comment

Originally posted by Seshat View Post

At my local library, there are signs and brochures in a variety of languages offering English language courses. There are also brochures and signs asking for volunteer English tutors.
                        As would be expected in a library. Not a sandwich shop.

My local shopping centre hires from my local community, and most (not all) of the sales staff at the Halal butcher seem to speak assorted Arabic languages.
                        I would be shocked if the Halal butcher didn't have Arabic speaking employees.

(My local area does have quite a few refugees, so there are people here who didn't expect to be coming to an English-speaking country: or to leave their home countries at all. English skills are encouraged for immigrants who plan to come here, but asylum for refugees is based on our capacity and their need, not language skills.)
                        Refugees are a different matter entirely, and my heart goes out to them. Still, the point here is if you go into a business in a country that predominantly speaks a language that you aren't familiar with, tough shit. I'm sure the Philly sandwich shop owner has had it up to his eyebrows with SC's demanding things in a foreign tongue, which is why the sign said what it did the way it did.

Comment

It's no different than a sign saying "This is Mexico, when ordering do so in Spanish".
                          And I would probably tell the owner (in an environment where I'm not going to get shot, mind you) to f-off too. It's the blind patriotism feeling I get out of it that pisses me off.

Comment

Trust me, outside of the US this touchy feely "pander to everyone" crap does not exist.
                            Not been to England, have you? All council documents that I've seen have sections for various different languages. Does it irritate me? Slightly. Does it bother me enough to complain about it? No.

Rapscallion
                            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Government documents here have multi-language instructions on how to get a copy in your own language or how to get an interpreter.

Comment

And I would probably tell the owner (in an environment where I'm not going to get shot, mind you) to f-off too.
                                You'd do that in Mexico??? Let me save you the trouble........BAD IDEA. The do not take kindly to gringos telling them how to run their shit.
                                Last edited by Jadedcarguy; 04-03-2008, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X