Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do we need rememberance/veterans day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This year on Vets Day, our receptionist wore her Air Force Uniform to work to commemorate the day. This discussion reminds me of her story of how she joined the Air Force. She signed up at the age of nineteen, but she wasn't doing it to serve her country or protect freedom. She enlisted so she could get money for college. The same thing is true for many others who join.

Back home, many of my classmates from high school who enlisted did so for the same reason. Others did it because it was a family tradition or because they just wanted to get out of the "redneck" culture of Southeastern Ohio and see the world.

Comment

I should mention that my dad volunteered for service. He'd already been to college, but since his dad and grandfather had been in the service...considered it his duty. Not just one tour, but two. He was one of the lucky ones--he went back to grad school under the GI bill, married my mother in '74, and started a family in '76. Even now, he doesn't consider himself a "war hero." Instead, he feels that he was simply doing his job.

Comment

My dad was in Vietnam too. When I was growing up, he never really wanted to talk about it and acted like he would rather forget the whole thing. In the last few years, he's gotten more involved with the VFW and I know he makes regular trips to the Vietnam Memorial.

The war did take its toll on him. His hearing is lousy from blowing up too many bridges and his knees are shot from running away after blowing up said bridges. Agent Orange didn't help any either.

Still though, he never used any of that as a crutch and worked his tail off until he was forced to retire for health reasons. Even now he does a lot of volunteer work.

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
          Because the media has rammed the "newer and cooler" Patriot's Day down our throats for the last nine years.
          Over here in Ausland we have ANZAC Day and Rememberance Day. Both days are used to respect our soldiers both past and present.

Comment

It's like Christmas or Valentine's a day to celebrate love and togetherness even though we should be doing these all year long.

I think those days it's not so much about the days themselves as a reminder "Hey don't forget to do this everyday."

We get so busy us humans we always have that sometimes we forget these simple things and they fall by the wayside.
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

Working...
            X