yellow cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
    I think all you "don't touch my fscking car!" people are a little high strung.
    So it's high strung not to want a stranger touching my personal property? I never once said I'd flip or be violent over it, but I was merely agreeing with Blas' opinion over not wanting a total stranger touching private property.

That is not high strung..that is personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by kibbles View Post
      That is not high strung..that is personal preference.
      If you wouldn't yell obscenities at someone who touched your car, then I wasn't referring to you.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Well, it was rather hard to tell since you used a pretty general "you people".
        That could have been directed at anyone, really.
        Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

It wasn't general at all. The quoted section was an adjective. If that adjective doesn't describe you, then it's not about you.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Plaidman View Post
            Good luck with that vandalism charge. Since it isn't desctruction, or marring, or tampering, or anything like that, it wouldn't stick. It's why people can place flyers on your car without vandalism charges.
            Just because it won't stick, doesn't mean I can't go after them. After all, how do I know they weren't attempting to vandalize my car with the magnet?

Yes, it's stupid to be so petty with a car, however it's a car that needs to last me at least another seven to ten years. I *need* it to get around, and I have no choice but to be extra cautious about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              It wasn't general at all.
              No...it was pretty general.
              Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

High strung? Is that the best you can do?

I could care less what people think. It's my car, don't touch it. I worked really hard to be able to get a newer car all by myself with no one's help and yes, I will go apeshit if I saw someone on a bike tootling around slapping magnets to my car.

Common sense and courtesy is to not touch other people's belongings.

Comment

When I saw this, I immediately thought of those stickers that were in the news a while back. They basically said "I got close enough to your child to put this sticker on", implying the parent was not paying attention or that something bad could have happened to them. Everybody got all up in arms over those at another board I went to, but my thoughts are the same in both instances.

If you are being responsible and conscientious, you will never encounter one of those magnets (or the stickers). If you are paying attention to the world around you, there will be no need for anyone to stick such a magnet to your car. If I ever saw one on my car, I would feel terrible. If I, completely unknowingly, put another persons' life at risk, I think it would make me much more aware. In the event I found one of those, I would not focus on "That bastard touched my car", but rather "Wow, I can't believe I got that close to a bike, I hope he's okay!"

I am not a biker, but my parents are Harley enthusiasts. I grew up around bikers (motorized or not, they still only have 2 wheels and seem invisible to cars) and try to be very cognizant of them. There is a car somewhere in Texas with a size 11 bootprint in the door, and I was on my dad's bike when he made it. Strangely, they took one look at him and sped off, but they darn near took us out. It's scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Megg View Post
                    When I saw this, I immediately thought of those stickers that were in the news a while back. They basically said "I got close enough to your child to put this sticker on", implying the parent was not paying attention or that something bad could have happened to them. Everybody got all up in arms over those at another board I went to, but my thoughts are the same in both instances.
                    ....Oh wow, that is so beyond "bad idea" its not even funny.

Originally posted by Megg
                    I think it would make me much more aware. In the event I found one of those, I would not focus on "That bastard touched my car", but rather "Wow, I can't believe I got that close to a bike, I hope he's okay!"
                    You being an exception does not the rule make though. Cars are very important to a lot of people, not just as being overtly expensive items that likely took some effort to obtain, but also as part of their livelihood in many cases. They may need that vehicle to get to work, or to do their job, or to drive their mom to chemo. You don't know. You don't know how someone will react and yes, it certainly is rude to touch someone else's property ( and its fscking suicidal to touch someone's kids. ).

The heart may be in the right place with this, but the idea itself is a bad one.

Comment

Personally, I don't think anyone should be made to feel bad because they don't like or want strangers touching their personal property without permission. Some people may feel it's just an inanimate object..but others (myself included) may think differently. JMO

Hope that made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                        I'm going with the Bad Idea(tm) camp on this one. This seems like it would have 4 possible outcomes, of which only 1 is good:

1) Road rage incident. Their vehicle is bigger than yours.
                        2) They find the magnet later but either have no idea what they did, or it pisses them off which isn't liable to make them correct their behaviour either. Or both
                        3) You end up being fined or causing an accident because you miss with the magnet, drop it, etc.
                        4) They see the sticker, know what they did and resolve to be better drivers.

I can tell you which 3 are far more likely too. -.-
                        This.

Also, bear this in mind for a minute: something like the yellow magnet idea might seem like a good idea at first, but any side of any argument can easily descend into two sub-factions (can't think of a better word right now): those that are genuinely interested in increasing road safety for cyclists like Katt, and those who'd throw those magnets onto every car they see just to be jerks. And the other side of the argument, the drivers of the cars, would just as easily split into the 'oops, I'll be more careful' crowd and the more likely 'that son of a--' crowd.
                        Last edited by ZedOmega; 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM. Reason: ...good lord, my grammar sucks tonight!
                        This space for rent.

Comment

Personally, I don't think anyone should be made to feel bad because they don't like or want strangers touching their personal property without permission.
                          I agree completely. Just because my car is a beast and I don't care that much, doesn't mean the dude with the Lexus should feel the same way. I don't think a magnet is ass-kicking material, but I could see getting mad.

Comment

Working...
                          X