Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple aborts IVF concieved twins due to "they wanted a girl"

story here

While I don't agree with abortion, I'd rather not see government restrictions on it(I'd rather see more money go to prevention of unwanted pregnancies, more funding for birth control and education), but the attitudes of this couple just seem very wrong.

They already have three sons and said they now want to have a girl after their baby daughter died.
    "After what we have been through we think we are due for a bit of luck," the man said.

"We know we definitely won't be replacing her in any way, but want the chance to have the baby girl we don't have."
    choosing the gender of your child is not "chance".

chance-the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled, a possibility or probability of anything happening.

It's just appalling to me that someone can be that selfish. Have we sunk this low as a species?

Sadly someone on the place I found this article found "support groups" for "gender disappointment" And included a quote from one woman who "burst into tears" after seeing the ultrasound that showed her child wasn't a girl, and was terribly upset that her husband wasn't "more supportive". The woman was actually angry that her husband told her to be thankful that the child was healthy, because "he just didn't get it".

I never found out the gender of my son until he came out, apparently I was the only one in the last 5 years in that hospital that didn't want to know. Everyone was shocked that I didn't know, and didn't want to know. Mainly because I knew a few people that did find out, and tragically, after having everything set up, names picked, and "plans for the child's future" the child didn't make it.

another article discusses why gender selection is ill-advised, but it misses something major.

My mom and step-dad had two girls, myself and my sister, my step-dad hoped I'd be a boy, oops, I wasn't. Ya know what, did that keep me from loving to fish with my stepdad, or learning to work on cars. I hated dresses and barbies, I had a huge collection of matchbox and model cars though. For all intents and purposes-I may as well have been a boy(heck until I was around 10 everyone thought I was a boy). How disappointed would this couple be if they ended up with a daughter like me?
    For many other people, there are more personal reasons for desiring a child of one sex over another. A father may have always wanted a little boy he can take to the footy or go fishing with and initiate into the ranks of manhood. A mother may want a little girl with whom she can share a tender closeness.
    Yeah I never had any closeness with my mother, would this couple want a refund if their daughter wasn't the "perfect little princess" they want and expect? What if she has a learning disability, what if she ends up being a lesbian, or transgendered, what if she's like me, basically a boy with two x chromosomes? Your child is not a dress up doll or a toy, it's a human being with it's own personality and quirks, and guess what, it's a bit of a crap shoot. Children, like their parents, are not perfect, they may disappoint you, if you can't get over disappointment, maybe kids aren't the best choice for you.

Read both articles before responding please.
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 01-09-2011, 02:39 AM.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

I just wondered if they even took into consideration how Mom getting an abortion, particularly for such a trivial reason, might affect their existing children.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I was about to say "Why didn't they just go the sperm sort route" but I see its apparently illegal there. Even still, aborting because it wasn't what you wandered is rather....I'm not entirely sure what the term is. Selfish and inhumanly deplorable? >.>

I mean, I'm pro-choice, but I draw the line at "designer" abortions. If you wanted a girl so bad, hop a plane to the US and get a sperm sort done. I mean seriously, is having two abortions on your concious for such a selfish reason *really* perferable to the cost of a plane ticket?

Nevermind the media backlash. If they had just gone to the media and went "We want a daughter but they won't let us" it would have generated an actual debate. Instead they went this...route....and frankly are asking to be villified.

If you want a 100% infallable chance at a girl. Adopt.
      Last edited by Gravekeeper; 01-09-2011, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Wow.

To be fair, I can understand a little bit of disappointment if you were thinking "oh I want a girl/boy" and it's the opposite. But you know what? It's still your child. And the people I know who have felt disappointed got over it pretty fast--they just needed that moment to wallow like "damn it it's not a girl/boy/bat."

This? Is despicable.
        "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

Originally posted by Eisa View Post
          This? Is despicable.
          QFT, QFE. There are many people who can not have a child, or because of medical conditions would not want to pass it on to a child. They would love a chance to take care of a child. Don't get me wrong I am sort of middle of the road between pro-choice and pro-life. Destroying a life just because of it's gender? I just can't support. At all. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
            Sadly someone on the place I found this article found "support groups" for "gender disappointment" And included a quote from one woman who "burst into tears" after seeing the ultrasound that showed her child wasn't a girl, and was terribly upset that her husband wasn't "more supportive". The woman was actually angry that her husband told her to be thankful that the child was healthy, because "he just didn't get it".
            WTF!? That's fucked up, she should just shut the hell up and be happy that her kid didn't have any health problems.
            "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
              This. Do you know how many adoption centers there are, how many kids need homes? If you really want a girl so bad the least you can do for humanity is adopt one you selfish bitch.

Comment

I am pro-choice but that is sickening. I asked my husband's cousin if she wanted her new baby sibling to be a boy or girl, and she said, "I don't get to decide. It's God's choice." Now whether you believe in God or not, it's true that you don't get to decide, so suck it the fuck up and go on with your life.

What incredibly stupid people. I wish the IVF clinic could tell them to take a hike and refuse to help them again, but that's probably not legal.

And if you absolutely have to have a girl, adopt a kid from China. They have plenty of girls for the taking there. I've never understood why people feel the kid has to be theirs biologically, which these people apparently do (but then don't care enough about their biological kids to keep them...).

Comment

I'm also pro-choice, but that is disgusting! My cousin desperately wanted a girl, yet she has 4 boys. And you know what? She loves them dearly and I have a feeling it never crossed her mind to abort because she wanted a girl so badly. How deplorable.

I agree with what others have said here. If they cared so much about the gender of their child, they should just have adopted a girl. Or taken a trip to the US in the first place. What they did is pure selfishness and they should be prohibited from ever having IVF done again. Perhaps they should be prohibited from ever having biological children again since they obviously don't really care about them, they only care about themselves

Comment

If you wanted a girl so bad, hop a plane to the US and get a sperm sort done. <snip>
                    yup especially as "sperm sorting" is only 60-70% effective(normal chance is 50/50, so not much better)-only "reliable" method(99%) is something called PGD-Embryos are created in a laboratory and allowed to divide. After three or four days, one cell from each dividing embryo is removed and analyzed for DNA and genetic material. Once the sex of the embryos are determined, only those embryos of the desired sex are implanted into the mother’s uterus through IVF. PGD testing costs between $2,000 and $4,000 plus the costs of IVF

Comment

Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned attitude of "We're having a baby!"?
                      "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
                      -- OMM 0000

Comment

Oh my word...it gets worse

follow up article
                        the woman, who is in her thirties, is "consumed by grief over the daughter who died soon after birth" and admits she has "become obsessed with having a daughter and it has become vital to her psychological health."

Comment

So... she's consumed by grief over her lost daughter, but her 2 aborted sons mean nothing? I think she needs some serious psychological counseling before even thinking of having any more children.

I feel sorry for her current children. I wonder if they're being neglected because they're not girls

Comment

I posted on the follow up article it's pretty much everything I've said already and added what ExRetailDrone said with my own wording of it, it'll most likely get taken down as with subject matter like this I get pissed off really quick.

Here it is

What a stupid selfish bitch. I'm pro choice for certain situations and I think this is absolutely disgusting, rape, incest, and servere medical problems are perfectly acceptable. Gender selection is NOT, I feel sorry for the kids she has already seeing as they're boys are they being neglected because they aren't girls? If she really wanted a girl so damn bad she should have adopted one, if you ask me she shouldn't be aloud to do IVF again since the life of an INOCENT CHILD apparently means NOTHING to her if it isn't a girl. I truly hope this terrible woman burns in Hell for the rest of eternity for the MURDER of her own unborn CHILDREN!

Yeah, it did get removed.
                            Last edited by Sarah Valentine; 05-14-2011, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                              I just wondered if they even took into consideration how Mom getting an abortion, particularly for such a trivial reason, might affect their existing children.
                              I don't think they were aware of it. In Australia, abortion laws vary by state, but regardless, it's treated as day surgery-the kids could've been sent off to vacation care (basically a daycare program for school-age kids run in the school holidays....which is what the time is around now) or school.

In Victoria (the state where this is all taking place), abortions are legal on request. If she'd tried to have it anywhere else except there and the Australian Capital Territory, she would've needed a damn good reason for it (the reasons given for the other states are danger to the mother or unborn baby, cases of rape, mental health issues and in a couple of states, socioeconomic factors)

I was about to say "Why didn't they just go the sperm sort route" but I see its apparently illegal there. Even still, aborting because it wasn't what you wandered is rather....I'm not entirely sure what the term is. Selfish and inhumanly deplorable? >.>

I mean, I'm pro-choice, but I draw the line at "designer" abortions. If you wanted a girl so bad, hop a plane to the US and get a sperm sort done. [/I]
                              To clarify: Gender selection in GENERAL is illegal, unless it's done for a legitimate medical reason i.e. family has a genetic defect that could be passed on via gender-one example being hemophilia.

As for sperm donations in general, some women are actually turning to the US to get sperm and/or eggs as there's a shortage of donors

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
                              This. Do you know how many adoption centers there are, how many kids need homes? If you really want a girl so bad the least you can do for humanity is adopt one you selfish bitch.
                              The bare minimum she could've done is gone for fostering, as adopting Australian children is not as simple as it sounds. Adopting Overseas children is more expensive. I believe that she went down this route as it's cheaper....which still doesn't make it right.

Originally posted by Sarah Valentine View Post
                              [FONT="Century Gothic"]I posted on the follow up article it's pretty much everything I've said already and added what ExRetailDrone said with my own wording of it, it'll most likely get taken down as with subject matter like this I get pissed off really quick.
                              It mostly likely will. There's a certain degree of censorship on the article.

And as for my own two cents: I promise that not all Australians are like this.

I really don't feel comfortable with sperm sorting or any form of gender selection unless it's for a decent reason-this definitely does not count. It seems that people have this idea of a "perfect family" in their heads these days, which involves all boys or all girls or one of each. It seems that people want more control over everything in their lives.

Comment

Working...
                              X