No announcement yet.

Insults that never made an impact this side of the pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learnt it as 'tiger' from school, but my mother always uses the version with the N-word. It's hard to describe my mother's level of...well...embarrassingly 'cheerful racism' as it were. >.<

I used neither. 'Ip Dip Sky Blue' was the version I used; eight syllables, much faster.

Comment

This was the version of "Ip Dip Blue" I heard at school:

Ip dip blue
      The girls/boys love you
      Meet you at the cinema at quarter past two
      When the picture started
      Everybody farted
      And you were the one who started it
      "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

That doesn't have any rhyme or structure. It makes my brain hurt.

Of course, it's a lot more random than the version I know, which I would never use because I could control the outcome by where I started (and figured that out by the time I got into school).

Eenie, meenie, minie, moe
        Catch a tiger by the toe
        If it hollars, let it go
        Eeenie, meenie, minie, moe

And, Wikipedia tells me that Ip Dip is actually a completely different rhyming routine for picking someone at seeming random. Plus, both were likely originally for learning to count, way back when, but have transmuted so much over time that there's no way to know what their true origins or original verses really were.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Most of the ones I know are pretty rude, so they must have altered a lot. And people think that kids are innocent... XD

Comment

My version had nipper, mind you I hardly ever used it vs ippa dippa dation my opperation how many people at the station (random number or number in the group) or spuds, get your spuds out (both fists) one potato two potato threee potato four (then I forget the rest)

one similar to Lace's cinema one had the lines
            the girls love you
            they took you to the pictures and undressed you

Comment

There was another one that went:

Ip dip dog shit you stood in it.

Shorter, but not sweeter. O_o

Comment

Replace tiger...
                I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  There was another one that went:

Ip dip dog shit you stood in it.

Shorter, but not sweeter. O_o
                  Mine was just "Ip dip dog shit, you are not it"

Comment

We say, "Bugger off". XD
                    I've been known to drop the occasional "bugger off" at work and CS. I guess 20 years of readingClassic & Sports Car will do that

Comment

Berk - Word meaning a stupid person.
                      Rhyming slang. "Berk' ->"Berkshire Hunt" -> "c*nt".

Bint - Either a word meaning a stupid woman or a word meaning a slutty woman, depending on context.
                      Far as I knew, this simply means "daughter" in Arabic. Female equivalent of "bin", as in "bin Laden".

Bloody - An exclamation of surprise, shock or anger. All three on occasion. XD
                      Always thought this was a contraction of "By our Lady".

Comment

Originally posted by Shalom View Post
                        More to do with 'god's blood' and the like, from what I understand.

Rapscallion
                        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Shalom View Post
                          Rhyming slang. "Berk' ->"Berkshire Hunt" -> "c*nt".

Bloody
                          Berk I've never heard as ryming slang, is that a guess you are making or is it really a shorterned ryhme for cunt? cos I thought the whole point was to actually use the part that, you know, rhymed.

Berk, idiot, prat, plonker, etc nothing in my usage of berk hinted at cuntish behaviour.

By our lady? your having a girrafe, who in the what now ever used that phrase in the 20th (and now 21st) centry save actors in period pieces.

Comment

The info about Berk being rhyming slang is correct, and it's not that old a term, at less than a century in use, so it's etymology is fairly easy to trace.

As for bloody, it seems the term most likely is a direct reference to blood in that it's a vivid and visceral. The fact that similar terms show up in other languages (in forms that are phonetically dissimilar) lends credence to this.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"Bint" is a portmanteau (I do love that word!) between "bitch" and "cunt." And somehow ends up being less offensive than either of those.

Comment

Berk has been watered down somewhat in its lifetime, hell it was used as a character name in a U rated childrens TV show (Trapdoor iir he was called berk), even though you can have Dick as a name and not just an euphimism for a willy (he says typing another) I don't think berk has been used as a character name since, but I'm sure it has been in use on pre watershed TV in the uk alot.

I know Smeg went over alot of BBC big wigs heads and I at the time didn't know it was short for Smegma, I thought it was a "swearing without swearing" shazbot type of non word, so Red Dwaf was dick cheese this dick cheese that (iir thats what smegma means without looking it up) and Willy Rushden saying cunt quite alot in the space of a 5 minute claymation show.

Comment

Working...
                                X