Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People from Lesbos suing Lesbians

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080430/..._lesbian_pride

3 people from the Island Nation, Lesbos, is suing the Homosexual & Lesbian Community of Greece over the term Lesbian in their name.

The people of Lesbos claim they have been using the term Lesbian to denote they are from Lesbos, and the word Lesbian has only been associated with homosexual women for a few decades.

Who is right? Is there even a "right" and "wrong" in this? What does everyone think?
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Well, considering the word "lesbian" has now been associate with homosexual women for some time now, they will still get funny looks whenever they proclaim themselves to be Lesbos.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

The thing is that the word lesbian is used all over the world. Suing one organization in Greece is not going to change that. I don't know what they think they are going to accomplish.

Comment

Is it wrong that I find this extremely funny?

And yea...what do these 3 people from Lesbos think they are going to accomplish?
        It's not going to change what the word lesbian means to the rest of the world...

Maybe they should call themselves something else, or just say, "I'm from Lesbos!"
        "Children are our future" -LaceNeilSinger
        "And that future is fucked...with a capital F" -AmethystHunter

Comment

Originally posted by DesignFox View Post
          If it is, then join the club.

Comment

If it's wrong, then I don't want to be right

Comment

If memory serves, there were some rather interesting poems by Sappho of Lesbos, recounting the charms of her female students. That's how the term came about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sappho for some more details.

Rapscallion
              Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

And yea...what do these 3 people from Lesbos think they are going to accomplish?
                It's not going to change what the word lesbian means to the rest of the world...

Maybe they should call themselves something else, or just say, "I'm from Lesbos!"
                Firstly... I'm #3 (or are we up to 4 now?) Oh - and I'm not referring the the 3 making the lawsuit either

Actually - yes, it can change the rest of the world. It happens. A fair bit. If it's allowed to. Question - what does the word 'Indian' refer to? What does the word 'nigger' refer to? The meaning of words change all the time, so it just might be possible for that to change as well. After all, can you imagine a Greek Island immigrant sitting in an American school trying to explain to their classmates that they are a lesbian?? "Now class, here is Angelos, and he's a Lesbian - STOP THAT LAUGHING!!!"

Although, Lesbosian would make more sense.

(on the subject of etymology, did you know the word 'barbarian' comes from the greek, in reference to the northerners of Europe who all spoke in that 'bar bar' language /trivia )

Slyt
                ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slytovhand View Post
                  (on the subject of etymology, did you know the word 'barbarian' comes from the greek, in reference to the northerners of Europe who all spoke in that 'bar bar' language /trivia )

Slyt
                  Hmm - I'd heard it was more to do with the Latin word for beards (from which we get barber), which referred to the generally unshaven chins of the chaps involved.

Rapscallion
                  Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                  Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

IIRC, Well - it could have come from a biased source - a Classical Greek professor...

But then again... check my sigfile

(edit: bugger... just realised I don't have one on this place ... ok... my sigfile on my CS profile )
                    ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Working...
                    X