Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Bans Time Travel Fiction

Becasue it's "disrespectful"

"The time-travel drama is becoming a hot theme for TV and films. But its content and the exaggerated performance style are questionable. Many stories are totally made-up and are made to strain for an effect of novelty. The producers and writers are treating the serious history in a frivolous way, which should by no means be encouraged anymore."
    Another reason why I'm glad I don't live in China.

I don't know what to say. It just seems kinda silly, but scary. To ban one kind of fiction is a bit of a slippery slope.

Comment

So... no Doctor Who in China then?
      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

1Billion people can't be wrong

Comment

"The time-travel drama is becoming a hot theme for TV and films. But its content and the exaggerated performance style are questionable. Many stories are totally made-up and are made to strain for an effect of novelty. The producers and writers are treating the serious history in a frivolous way, which should by no means be encouraged anymore."

And as you know, if there's anything we hate, it's those "made-up" time-travel stories, as opposed to the completely factual ones.
          This is one of those rare moments when the writer and I are on the same page.
          The Internet Is One Big Glass House

Comment

At least we won't have to worry about them making any more bootleg copies of Back to the Future...

Seriously though, it's not the first time that China has done something like this. They already censor or block most websites that don't fit with their government's "ideals." How do I know this? Dad's been over there a few times. Many foreign sites are blocked, simply because they don't want their citizens exposed to "corrupted" morals, or ideas that conflict with the status quo.

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
              At least we won't have to worry about them making any more bootleg copies of Back to the Future...

Seriously though, it's not the first time that China has done something like this. They already censor or block most websites that don't fit with their government's "ideals." How do I know this? Dad's been over there a few times. Many foreign sites are blocked, simply because they don't want their citizens exposed to "corrupted" morals, or ideas that conflict with the status quo.
              Hmm Government going crazy censoring things that don't fit with their ideals. Didn't Egypt try that? A lot of good that did them...

Comment

So...a sort of reverse Cultural Reformation? We're not going to destroy the past, but perfectly preserve our image of it?
                I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                  We're not going to destroy the past, but perfectly preserve our image of it?
                  That's *exactly* what's going to happen. Their leaders feel that if the citizens are allowed to look into the past, they'll start questioning what their government is doing. A government...which has shown that it'll do anything to squash opposition--remember Tiananmen Square? They don't in China--every reference to it has been edited out of textbooks, the media, newspapers, and anywhere else. Can't have the people bring that up...since it would disrupt the "truths" spewed by their leaders

Comment

*headdesk*

You know, whenever I next teach, I'm using this as an example of why history is important.
                    I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      Silly smiley, Doctor Who isn't time travel fiction, it's a documentary about the life of the last Time Lord, so it should still be allowed, right?

Seriously though, this doesn't surprise me one bit. The Chinese government sure does like to ban things, doesn't it? What's next, banning regular historical fiction?
                      "He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe. And...he's wonderful." - Timothy Lattimer on the Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                        yeah that's the first thing i thought of too

perhaps the Doctor is WHY it's being banned.... he's one for standing up to oppressive governments after all

Comment

Originally posted by PepperElf View Post
                          perhaps the Doctor is WHY it's being banned.... he's one for standing up to oppressive governments after all
                          He probably had a run in with the Chinese Government and they went all Queen Victoria on his ass. Well China We are not amused.
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Miss_Maple_Leaf View Post
                            The Chinese government sure does like to ban things, doesn't it? What's next, banning regular historical fiction?
                            Keep in mind that the Chinese government wanted to ban Kung Fu Panda...
                            Tells you everything you need to know, no?

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post

Don't worry, Protege... I still have access to here (what does that say??)
                              ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X