No announcement yet.

Touched by his noodley appendage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appeals to tradition = "That's the way it's always been done." Do you not see the problem with that statement? If "that's the way it's always been done," there must have been a reason for it in the first place. In the case of religious attire, some religious authority must have decreed that it should be worn by followers of that religion. Why? Most likely to create solidarity within the group.

What's wrong with saying that Alm is that religious authority in his religion that he's just made up? Why is wearing a metal cap any worse than wearing a headscarf, a turban, or a baseball cap? Since there's no prohibition in Austria against wearing headgear in driver's licenses, the only explanation for the psych eval requirement is the view that a religion is only crazy if it isn't commonplace. That view is religious discrimination.

The question you asked earlier? Whether Jews should be allowed to wear yarmulkes in license photos? I answered that before you asked it. The rules should be the same for everyone, regardless of religion. In Austria, they allow headgear as long as it doesn't obstruct the face. So both yarmulkes and strainers are allowed. If a governing body chooses to prohibit headgear in license photos, however, they should not make exceptions for religious clothing, including yarmulkes. I don't know if that's the case anywhere, though.
    "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
      What's wrong with saying that Alm is that religious authority in his religion that he's just made up? Why is wearing a metal cap any worse than wearing a headscarf, a turban, or a baseball cap? Since there's no prohibition in Austria against wearing headgear in driver's licenses, the only explanation for the psych eval requirement is the view that a religion is only crazy if it isn't commonplace. That view is religious discrimination.
      You have a situation where someone comes in, talking about a religion no one has heard of before, and admittedly sounds fairly strange. That gives the people in charge the option of trying to find out more about the religion, and hope it doesn't only exist in this one person's head, or examine the person, and see if they are 'sane', and if so, give their religion equal rights with any other. I know the latter sounds like a FAR better option to me.

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
      The question you asked earlier? Whether Jews should be allowed to wear yarmulkes in license photos? I answered that before you asked it. The rules should be the same for everyone, regardless of religion. In Austria, they allow headgear as long as it doesn't obstruct the face. So both yarmulkes and strainers are allowed. If a governing body chooses to prohibit headgear in license photos, however, they should not make exceptions for religious clothing, including yarmulkes. I don't know if that's the case anywhere, though.
      From what I understand, there had been a bit of a fuss before this gentleman showed up with his strainer, over yarmulkes...after one was allowed, he decided to see if the law would cover *all* religions...and it stood up to the test. (My interpretation of the events, at least, I could be mistaken)

As far as the writings go...Why does it have to be in writing that he's required to wear it. Perhaps in his beliefs, it's only required for official portraits, and he's written that down in his own personal writings. Who says which holy books of the CFSM are valid? Or which holy books are *ever* the 'valid' ones, if there is a discrepancy?
      Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

of course on that note, i could perhaps invent the religion of PepperElf and decree that it requires me to wear a meat-helmet. I could invent that on the way to the dmv.

does it mean the dmv should knuckle under to my demands?

or... hmmm. no wait.
        What if my Church of PepperElf (aka me) decreed that my headgear had to be a beer-helmet. full of beer?...

how dare the DMV stop me from wearing a beer-helmet in my license photo!

I guess the question is... how far is too far?

Comment

No, no. No slippery slope arguments needed. All that matters is that the laws and regulations are enforced fairly and exceptions are not made on the basis of religion.

In the case of a meat hat, I see no reason why that shouldn't be allowed (assuming it's legally-obtained meat, of course). In the case of a beer hat, however, there are laws against drinking and driving. Therefore, such a hat should not be allowed, and no exception should be made on the basis of religion.
          "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Working...
          X