Confederate flag on 4th of July.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate flag on 4th of July.

I don't agree with but I can understand people that fly both the US Flag and the Confederate flag. What I don't understand however is people who fly neither but decide that of course putting up the US flag for our Nations birth but somehow feel this is the appropriate holiday for putting up the confederate flag as well.

Can anyone explain this one?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Idiocy is everywhere?

Comment

I don't understand the Confederate flag in any capacity. -.-

Comment

I have yet to really hear any legitimate reason to fly it. I mean, aside from douchebag wannabe "rebels" who are flying it to show that they're douchebags. Them, I can understand.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The Confederates were also Americans, they're ancestors also fought for independance and the July 4th was also a holiday in the Confederacy. That being said I think it's inappropriate to fly the Battle flag on said day.
          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
            The Confederates were also Americans, they're ancestors also fought for independance and the July 4th was also a holiday in the Confederacy. That being said I think it's inappropriate to fly the Battle flag on said day.
            The Confederates wanted to be separate from the United States...It would be like flying an Orange Flag on St. Pat's day.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
              The Confederates wanted to be separate from the United States...It would be like flying an Orange Flag on St. Pat's day.
              Well yeah pretty much except for the whole you know St. Patrick's being about being Catholic.

Anyway yeah that is kind of my take on it. 4th of July is supposed to be our celebration of freedom and the Confederate Flag is well Anti Freedom.

Despite compromises in 1820 and 1850, the slavery issues exploded in the 1850s. Lincoln did not propose federal laws against slavery where it already existed, but he had, in his 1858 House Divided Speech, expressed a desire to "arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction." - pulled from the Wikipedia article on the Civil War.

People try to almost apologetically give more respect than is due to the reasons for the states Seceding by talking about how it was States rights. While technically true their primary "State's Rights" issues were all around the fact that the country as a whole had been and was working towards abolishing slavery as a whole.

Laws were proposed by Lincoln in his campaign that would further limit Slavery while no not abolishing it entirely would not allow it to spread to new territories that were springing up as we slowly filled up the country.

So yes the secession was because they didn't want the government further cutting off slave trade.

At this point before Lincoln was elected the African Slave Trade had been made illegal and slavery was illegal north of the Mason-Dixon line. Most of Lincoln's platform was "We need to finish off slavery"

or rather as he said, "arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction."

No one said anything else about the South there was no, "We are going to tax you but you don't get reps, We are now going to determine how you run your State" etc in fact State's rights to self govern is more of an issue now, "You won't get federal funds unless you comply to X" than it was then.

That is why when I see the Confederate Flag I see the flag of a people that said, "You need to let us have the right to oppress whomever we want is this not the land of the free?"

Plus Abe was killing Vampires and that's just good for all of us.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                Well yeah pretty much except for the whole you know St. Patrick's being about being Catholic.
                That was my point. Fourth of July is a celebration of the United States. the Confederates did not want to be a part of the United States. To use their flag to celebrate the Fourth of July would be like using a Protestant flag to celebrate St. Pat's day.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                  Thank you.

I live down here, I see it every year, and every year I scratch my head and wonder why. It doesn't make any sense to me. What does one have to do with the other?

Not only can I not explain it, but I can't find anyone to ask who gets it, either. Evidently, my circle of friends is not nearly rednecky enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    I mean, aside from douchebag wannabe "rebels" who are flying it to show that they're douchebags. Them, I can understand.
                    Yep, that's the only legit reason to fly that flag. Announce to the entire world that you're an uneducated douche who (at least locally) lives in a trailer, has a 1978 Camaro on blocks in the front yard, and has relatives on the Jerry Springer show

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                      Yep, that's the only legit reason to fly that flag. Announce to the entire world that you're an uneducated douche who (at least locally) lives in a trailer, has a 1978 Camaro on blocks in the front yard, and has relatives on the Jerry Springer show
                      Stereotyping a bit, aren't we? For the record, in one case I know of, it's a 1977 Mustang in the back yard.
                      Last edited by wolfie; 08-14-2011, 12:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to close off a tag

Comment

Well, that counts, but it does need to be on blocks and have either at least thirty percent of the paint be primer or one of the doors be a different color than the rest of the car.

You may waive the paint requirement by having a deer hide curing on the hood.

Comment

Hell, I've seen people who were born and raised here in Massachusetts flying it, albeit not on the fourth necessarily.

I think I'd rather not know in that case, actually. Answer's probably stupid enough to hurt.
                          They are never invited to cocktail parties, which is a shame in a way, because I'm pretty sure the world would like them better drunk. -Boozy

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                            Well, that counts, but it does need to be on blocks and have either at least thirty percent of the paint be primer or one of the doors be a different color than the rest of the car.

You may waive the paint requirement by having a deer hide curing on the hood.
                            Funniest post I've read in months.

Comment

Of course, we forgot the other requirements for the vehicle. That is, it has to have dents and/or rust on every panel. Also, duct tape (aka "West Virginia Chrome") has to be in abundance as well

Comment

Working...
                              X