Marketing information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing information

A complaint I often see lately is people don't like that now when they buy a copy of Moby Dick not only do their friends now know "buy classical books for his birthday" but marketers do too.

This is how I see advertising.

World without advertising : "Damn my bed broke I need a new one" I then proceed to drive from building to building checking for a mattress store.

World with Advertising: "Damn my bed broke I need a new one hey wait isn't there that mattress store over on fifth yeah they said they were having a sale this weekend perfect I am going to try there first and then the others I have heard of"

Now then a company tracking my marketing trends does not suddenly mean I will start seeing more advertising or that they will start advertising to me more. No indeed what it means is that the advertisements I see have greater potential to be of use to me and be products for which I have use.

I am rarely an impulse buyer I do let myself suddenly buy a candy bar or something but for the most part I think long and hard about any big purchases.

That being said commercials and ads are not mind control I do not suddenly have to have what was advertised nor has anyone I have ever seen tried to convince me that I have to have it. Rather tried to convince me it fills a certain set of needs so obviously if I don't have that set of needs it does not apply to me.

Thoughts?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

"We see that you bought this new bed. Here are some other beds you might like to buy as well." Yeah, not in the market for a bed anymore, thanks.

One I find funny is Ford. My car is an 04. It makes sense, NOW, for them to send me these beautiful junk mail booklets showing their current line of new cars: my car is of an age when many people would want to trade it in, if they haven't already. But they started sending me those, I think, a year after I bought it. If I just bought a brand new car from your company a year ago and already want to get rid of it, chances are I hate it. And if I hate my Ford, how likely am I to look to Ford for a replacement?

(as it happens I love my car. It's comfortable, good-looking, and UNBELIEVABLY reliable.)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      But they started sending me those, I think, a year after I bought it. If I just bought a brand new car from your company a year ago and already want to get rid of it, chances are I hate it.
      There is a depressingly large percentage of the population who lease a new car every single year. They are so hung up on status symbols that they won't let themselves be seen in anything but the latest model.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        "We see that you bought this new bed. Here are some other beds you might like to buy as well." Yeah, not in the market for a bed anymore, thanks.
        That's bad marketing but good marketing would look at, "Okay you just bought a bed was it a smaller single person type bed? Have you bought other things like new silverware, plates, couches etc? Hmmm then your probably moving or have moved and we should offer you ads geared towards that IE "Here is this gym in the neighborhood try a free month"
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

They look at what you have been shopping for, not necessarily what you have bought. I recently bought a desk, not on amazon, but used amazon to browse styles. Amazon knows I was looking for a desk, but does not know I actually bought it. Amazon sends me ads for desks, the seller sends me ads for related office furniture.

Unless an ad is misleading or maliciously interferes with your computer activities, who cares? Everyone has got to make a living somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
            World with Advertising: "Damn my bed broke I need a new one hey wait isn't there that mattress store over on fifth yeah they said they were having a sale this weekend perfect I am going to try there first and then the others I have heard of"
            That's more like the world with advertising circa 1982. These days its more like: "Damn my bed bro-HEY ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A BED?! Actually yes I-THERE'S A STORE TOTALLY NEAR YOU WE THINK JUST ENTER YOUR ZIP CODE AND MAILING ADDRESS AND WE'LL TELL YOU-No, that's alright, I'll just head over to the store mys-I SEE YOU'RE HEADING TO THE STORE! IF YOU JUST GIVE US YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS WE CAN SEND YOU LOTS OF EXCITING OFFERS FOR THAT STORE-no thank you, I just want to buy a new bed and I know what I want alrea-HEY DO YOU NEED A DESK TO GO WITH THAT?!-no, that's ok-WHAT ABOUT AN EXTENDED LIFETIME SUPER WARRANTY?!-no, please leave me alone-OK, WE'LL JUST STAY OVER HERE AND WATCH EVERY SINGLE THING YOU DO AND MAKE NOTES-I really wish you wouldn't-TOO BAD, WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE BED YOU AGREED TO LET US WATCH YOU SHOWER-No I didn't!-READ THE FINE PRINT-.....Goddammit"

-.-

Comment

how about representing facts?

when you look at the stats for a computer, 500gb drive, actual size in the computer: 448gb

it's because they call 1000 bytes a kilobyte and so on up to gb but the computer uses 1024 bytes= 1kb

and both use the same term.

Comment

Working...
              X